Andrew Luck and Nick Foles | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Andrew Luck and Nick Foles

Yeah, Barkley will be #2 overall IMO, after it all shakes out (trades included).
Only if Carolina (or a similar team) with a bona-fide long-term QB is picking #2 would Barkley fall farther than #2.

We'll see how it shakes out. I'm HIGH on Barkley, but I also know how some (or most) of these scouts in the NFL think about these things.

As for the 4th Quarter thing...Matt Barkley was 30 of 66 for 322 yards, 3 TDs and 2 INTs in the 4th quarter in 2010. He was 36 of 71 for 463 yards, 1 TD and 7 INTs in 2009. This year he's

In all three years, BY FAR his worst completion percentage has been in the 4th Quarter. In 2009 his completion in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarters hovered around 61-62%, with his 4th quarter around 51%. In 2010 his completion in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd hovered around 70% and was 49% in the 4th quarter. In 2011, his completion in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarters hovers around 71%, and his completion in the 4th quarter is at 59%.

That's a consistent trend, one that you'd better explore if you want to spend a #2 overall pick on a guy.

Again, I'm not saying he sucks. I like him a lot. But:

1. I really do think he measures under 6'2", and the scouts hate that.
2. There's the 4th quarter thing
3. I don't think his arm is stronger than Luck's personally

We'll see. I would take him. But I wouldn't lay $100 on him definitely going Top 5.

What were your grades on Landry Jones on the road in Tallahassee against a fast defense? Where I am going with it is this. Quarterback is obviously a special position. We need a guy who is

• efficient on 3rd down;
• has moxie in the 4th quarter;
• can run a two minute offense and bring the team back down 4 or more points;
• runs the offense with tempo and purpose;
• is accurate;
• can slide in the pocket and has good footwork;
• leads with respect and galvanizes the whole lockerroom including the defense;
• is tough;
• is smart; and
• is a winner.

In other words, other than maybe tough, all the things that Chad Henne is not and likely never will be, bless his heart. All the things Chad Pennington was.

for some reason when i watch foles i see a henne clone. has the arm, can make all the throws but makes bone head throws. no thanks. luck, barkley, jones or fail imo
honestly i would probly rather have weeden over noles

for some reason when i watch foles i see a henne clone. has the arm, can make all the throws but makes bone head throws. no thanks. luck, barkley, jones or fail imo
honestly i would probly rather have weeden over noles
I don't see that from Foles. Especially from a guy who has now thrown 9 TDs and no INTs. He's taken a beating tonight and he's been victimized by his receivers dropping a lot of passes and still he's done well had a high completion percentage (33/55, 391 yards and 3 TDs so far). He's made some very nice throws, shown good accuracy, good touch and good mobility. He's a lot more athletic than Henne IMO.

Laundry Jones I'm still a little weary of. I haven't seen enough of him to convince me he's not another product of Bob Stoops' system. It was obvious to me that Sam Bradford was a stud but Laundry...not so sure. He didn't look good at all against FSU.

I just don't see us getting the number one pick. Hope I'm wrong though. Would love to have the first pick in the draft and hopefully Luck comes out and we draft him. A boy can dream...

no to nick foles...i thought henne was a statue...foles can't move at all...no no no...and no to landry jones also...we have got to got to got to get in position for luck or barkley...everything else fails

i'm betting barkley comes in at 6 ft 2 also...and i don't see any issues with his arm...

no to nick foles...i thought henne was a statue...foles can't move at all...no no no...and no to landry jones also...we have got to got to got to get in position for luck or barkley...everything else fails
I was sold on Foles last year but I'm warming up to him.

Landry Jones I'm very cool on...something is missing there and I don't want to take a chance on him.

I don't see that from Foles. Especially from a guy who has now thrown 9 TDs and no INTs. He's taken a beating tonight and he's been victimized by his receivers dropping a lot of passes and still he's done well had a high completion percentage (33/55, 391 yards and 3 TDs so far). He's made some very nice throws, shown good accuracy, good touch and good mobility. He's a lot more athletic than Henne IMO.

Laundry Jones I'm still a little weary of. I haven't seen enough of him to convince me he's not another product of Bob Stoops' system. It was obvious to me that Sam Bradford was a stud but Laundry...not so sure. He didn't look good at all against FSU.[/QUOTE]

He's nowhere near the NFL prospect Bradford was imo. As an OU fan I can tell you that almost every single die hard Sooner fan doesnt completely trust Jones, especially on the road. As far as NFL goes, Bradford was/is just head and shoulders above Jones. The accuracy isnt even comparable. Jones is more athletic than Bradford but that's as far as it goes. I really wouldnt be happy with Jones at all. Id prefer take BPA. Hell, Id prefer another in state guy...Blackmon over Jones

What were your grades on Landry Jones on the road in Tallahassee against a fast defense? Where I am going with it is this. Quarterback is obviously a special position. We need a guy who is

• efficient on 3rd down;
• has moxie in the 4th quarter;
• can run a two minute offense and bring the team back down 4 or more points;
• runs the offense with tempo and purpose;
• is accurate;
• can slide in the pocket and has good footwork;
• leads with respect and galvanizes the whole lockerroom including the defense;
• is tough;
• is smart; and
• is a winner.

In other words, other than maybe tough, all the things that Chad Henne is not and likely never will be, bless his heart. All the things Chad Pennington was.

Bumpin this back up.

I just recently got around to reviewing Landry Jones' game versus FSU. It was a stern test against a very talented defense, that played just about as well as they could possibly play against Oklahoma's offense that night.

I thought Jimbo Fisher and his defensive coaches really had a solid game plan defensively this time around, they were much more prepared than they were last season against Oklahoma. It was pretty much the usual for Oklahoma's offense in terms of personnel and formations that you typically see (3X1, 2X2), but the FSU defensive backs were much more prepared, and fundamentally sound in their assignments this time around. Jimbo took a page out of his mentor's book (Nick Saban) on how to match up with this type of offense. Changing up his fronts from 3 down lineman when Oklahoma was in their 3X1 sets, and 4 down linemen when the Sooners were in their 2X2 sets, or 5-wide empty backfield sets.

FSU did a great job of disguising their coverages and blitzes. They'd switch up from Cover-1 with man across the board, to Cover-4, etc. in an attempt to give Jones some different looks and force him into mistakes. It worked on quite a few occassions.

FSU's DB's were all over the flat routes that Oklahoma likes to kill you with. The defensive backs were prepared, and did and excellent job of recognizing, and coming up to make tackles quickly for little or no gain on the bubble screens, quick WR screens, and flares to the RB's in the flat. They forced Jones to make plays throwing the football down the field. I thought Kenny Stills bailed Jones out twice on deep throws where either the throw was late (i.e. the last TD pass to Stills where he just outjumped and outmuscled Greg Reid for the ball), and another deep throw earlier in the game where the ball floated, and the safety was inches away from taking Stills' head off right as the ball arrived.

What was good about the last TD pass to Stills even though the throw was late, is the fact that Jones recognized the inside leverage that Reid was playing, which indicated that he had no safety help over the top. He pump faked to the flat causing Reid to bite, and then hit Stills over the top. But like I said, the throw was late and Stills bailed him out on that one.FSU's DB's and linebackers were jumping those flat routes so good, that Jones hit 'em twice with the exact same play. Once to Broyles and once to Stills for big 1st downs. It's essentially a curl/flat concept against Cover-2 zone. He pump faked the bubble screen/flare to the RB in the flat, and hit the receiver on a 10-12 yard out in the "honey hole" in front of the corner.

Jones' ball placement and decision making was spotty and inconsistent in this game. There was good and bad in both aspects, but more good than bad, which is why the Sooners won this game.

He made some big throws in key situations on 3rd and long.... hitting Stills for a big gain on 3rd and 12 right between the hashes against Cover-4 for a huge 1st down in the 4th quarter when the game was tied 13-13. He displayed poise in the pocket and made the correct reads and tough throws when he needed to in this game. Made good decisions in the red zone when nothing was there, he didn't force it and cost his team points by turning it over.

Most of the negative plays/inaccurate throws happened when he was pressured, or forced to move his feet and reset to deliver the ball. The first interception was against a delayed blitz where he was forced to move his feet... he let the blitzer get on him and hit his arm as he was releasing it, resulting in the interception. He was actually just trying to throw the ball away.He mishandled a perfect shotgun snap and was extremely fortunate to be able to recover it.

The second interception he threw was just a bad decision where he threw the ball into double coverage on an out-and-up.Jones really only attempted 7 passes over 10 yards in this game... but completed 6 of them. Although as I mentioned earlier, two of those completions are a result of Kenny Stills bailing him out more than anything else.

Jones is one of these quarterbacks that is able to adjust his throwing motion and deliver the football from a variety of different platforms. You have to be able to do that.

Overall, he was faced with a good test against a talented FSU defense that was prepared and up to the task, and he passed. Not with flying colors, but passed nonetheless.He doesn't have any glaring flaws that immediately raise a red flag with me (slow-elongated delivery, overstrider that struggles to throw with bodies around him, lack of poise/pocket presence, anticipation, etc.)

My opinion of Landry Jones after reviewing this game is about what it already was.... he's a good quarterback prospect, but not quite franchise material. I think he's more of a late 1st/early 2nd round prospect, who's capable of being more of a good game manager type in the NFL, rather than a true difference making, franchise type quarterback.

If the scuttlebutt is true Greg Reid may have to sit a couple of games........

Back
Top Bottom