Andrew Luck Retires (merged X6) | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Andrew Luck Retires (merged X6)

I'll probably take some **** for this, but I really can't knock the Colts fans for booing him as he left the field for the last time. You decide now, at the end of August, that you want to retire?

Imagine being the poor sap who shelled out for Colts season tickets and a week before the season starts, the quarterback decides he wants to go spend his football fortune making recommendations for his book club and appearing on HGTV to talk about his new board game den.

I'll probably take some **** for this, but I really can't knock the Colts fans for booing him as he left the field for the last time. You decide now, at the end of August, that you want to retire?

Imagine being the poor sap who shelled out for Colts season tickets and a week before the season starts, the quarterback decides he wants to go spend his football fortune making recommendations for his book club and appearing on HGTV to talk about his new board game den.
No differnet than a Dolphins fan shelling out their money for seasons tickets. At any time of the year. In the end you're a fan of the team, not just one player.

I agree. Players can do what they want, of course. And if Luck had legitimate issues causing him to retire early, or even if he was just done with football, then good for him. But why can’t the fans be angry?

Sports is such a racket. Team hasn’t been to the Super Bowl since the 80s? Support the team. Team hasn’t won a championship in going on 50 years? Support the team. QB retires days before the season, thus torpedoing it before it begins? Support the team. Owner demands tax breaks and/or revenue or he’ll move the team? support the team.

Basically the fan is just supposed to tolerate anything and everything and never complain, and keep shoveling money at the owners and players. Screw that. If you’re a Colts fan and this pisses you off, it’s fine to bitch about it. It shouldn’t hurt Luck anyway— he still has millions, his family, and the rest of his life ahead of him. If he wants the fans’ undying adulation, then he better wait until more time has passed.

I agree with you. I was thrilled when I saw that they were booing his ass.

And I am totally disgusted by the Colts giving him the 24 million. I think that's what irks me the most.

I hope every nfl player with contract disputes sit out from here on out. Calvin Johnson and many others weren't so fortunate when they retired early. That's BS. This guy quits on his team right before the start of the season and walks off with all that money. Shameful.

I'll forever root against the Colts now. They've jumped right behind the Pats, Jets, and Bills for me.

Wonder if they'd pay T.Y. if he retires tomorrow. Hmmm....

I mean why not, unless they roll with Brissett which I guess is possible.

If we could get any value out of that trade we should think hard. I would actually feel bad for Ryan if that did happen. Not much stability in his life.

But who else is potentially out there? Bridgewater? I think Saints want to keep him.

I agree. Players can do what they want, of course. And if Luck had legitimate issues causing him to retire early, or even if he was just done with football, then good for him. But why can’t the fans be angry?

That pretty much sums it up. I don't hold it against him for making the decision that he made -- it's his life -- but the timing of it was an absolute kick in the nuts to people who shelled out thousands of dollars for non-refundable tickets. It's not like he just woke up in the morning and suddenly didn't want to play football anymore, and then just retired on the spot.

A lot of people on the internet seem to be feeling very indignant that some other people have emotions right now.

You're also correct that pro sports is a racket designed to bilk as much disposable income as possible from the fan, and then shame said fans when they voice any displeasure with the product they are paying money to see. With what they gouge for tickets and concessions in the 21st century, I'll never hold it against a fan for booing, boycotting, or generally just letting a team know that they feel ripped off.

Well, maybe he wanted to retire earlier but the owners offered him something for staying quite until the season started?

The age of civility (if it ever existed) is long gone. Fans are as greedy (in relative terms)
as the billionaire owners. It's all about what's in it for ME. Beyond that -- the mass neurosis
of selfishness/narcissism creates an entitlement tsunami where everything is swept up
in a gratification wave. Luck fundamentally popped the balloon of the Colts loyalists
who were banking on their PLEASURE FIX being fulfilled by a sports team.

I guess for some the NFL is like crack.

The age of civility (if it ever existed) is long gone. Fans are as greedy (in relative terms)
as the billionaire owners. It's all about what's in it for ME. Beyond that -- the mass neurosis
of selfishness/narcissism creates an entitlement tsunami where everything is swept up
in a gratification wave. Luck fundamentally popped the balloon of the Colts loyalists
who were banking on their PLEASURE FIX being fulfilled by a sports team.

I guess for some the NFL is like crack.

Something tells me you don't remember Ruck Fickey.

I'd be pretty devastated if we lost a QB of Luck's calibre in this manner. Hell, I was devastated when Marino tore his achilles. I think even as a young man though I would have recognized that his health was paramount. It's hard to get up and break your body every day if you don't have to.

Good for him!

Back
Top Bottom