Andrews + 3? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Andrews + 3?

The Miami Herald isnt known for being the most accurate newspaper, they have said some stupid things before. I expect that Miami wants Andrews and could try to trade to get him. Great tackles are very hard to find, and Andrews looks like he could be 1 of them. Good guards can be found in the 3rd rd., so Im not in favor of taking a guard in the 1st. I say after Andrews, Miami goes after Vilma, Starks, and possibly Lee Evans ( even though I dont believe in taking WRs in the 1st rd.). Am I the only 1 who sees alot of Marvin Harrision in Evans?

Upper body strength is really an overrated quality of a lineman. Sure, it's nice to be strong in the upper body, but upper body strength doesn't mean squat if you don't have strength where you need it.

The most important area to have strength for an offensive lineman is in the thigh and hip area. That's where they get their explosion and their ability to drive block. Think about the bench press motion for a minute. How many offensive linemen do you see blocking with their arms perpendicular to their torso? That's not a functional football movement.

Much better indicators of strength are the power clean lift and the back squat lift. Smiley may have done only 19 reps at the combine and 24 reps at his Alabama workout on the bench press, but the guy holds the Alabama record in the power clean with a lift of about 425 lbs, and he can squat 650-700 lbs.

Seth McKinney was similar. He didn't do many bench press reps, but his power clean and squat lifts were both impressive, and McKinney has been a good power based blocker at the pro level. Even though some of you have already written him off as a disappointment, when he has played at either guard or center, he has shown the ability to drive defenders off the ball. His problem has been making the line calls to this point. I believe McKinney holds the TAMU record in the power clean.

My guess is that if the FO says they hope Andrews will be there, they don't want him at all.Why would they tip their hand?Just my opinion but I doubt they want Andrews.

Ozzy rules!!

agreed Danny, makes you think, and wonder just what the hell are they doing? Here's how I read it....

1. Their saying their complacent at #20 because they hope that 4 players will be there. This to me is to show that we're content where we're at, when we're really not, and MAY move up.

2. Naming Andrews would ensure that he's gone by our pick, via a small jump by any number of teams below us

We're moving up or down, mark my words, somethings in the works.

Originally posted by 72phin
Today's Hearald article speculates that there are four players that the phins are hoping are available at pick 20 (Andrews plus three others). If those players aren't available, they will entertain trade-down offers.

Any guesses on the three?

My Guesses: Starks, DJ Williams, Dansby

Did you see the line where it said that the OL we would filed today is nOT as good as the one we struggled with last year? That pretty much suggests that OL is still the top priority.

Originally posted by Boomer
Jorser, I also think that Pat Surtain's lingering knee problem is casuing more than a little concern.

That is what I was thinking and is the reason why I was jumping all over the "draft Dunta Robinson" for a while there.

Didn't know if the lingering knee problem was still a problem.

Dunta will not be there at #20 though. The Saints would take him at #18 I would think with DeAngelo going to the Jets.

The 4 players Miami hopes to be there will be (IMO):
1. Andrews
2. Dunta Robinson
3. Vince Wilfork
4. Jonathan Vilma

As to rookies starting on our OL, Galbreath started 12 games @ RG in 88, Uhlenlake 15 @ C in 89, Sims 13 (Foster was a hold-out and Galbreath was still @RG) and Webb 16 @ LG & LT, Milner(ugh) 9 @ RT in 95, Wade 16 @ RT in 00, and of course Smith last year 16 @ LT.

An intriguing thing about Smiley at RG and James at LG, with their speed I can see some very impressive screen plays being drawn up. We would have the quickest guard combinations in the league.

San Diego trades with the Giants.

Then we trade with the Chargers (1st and Wally).

Everyone is happy.

Giants get Manning, Chargers get Rivers and we get Taylor

:drool:

I'd guess Andrews, Wilfork, D. Williams, and Evans

Originally posted by finsnchips
San Diego trades with the Giants.

Then we trade with the Chargers (1st and Wally).

Everyone is happy.

Giants get Manning, Chargers get Rivers and we get Taylor

:drool:

I just don't think the chargers would want O-Gun. They are switching to a 3-4 next year and unless you move him to linebacker, a pass rushing end would be kinda useless to him.

I honestly think Shawn Andrews blows Damion McIntosh away at RT. Why put a Hummer X2 like Andrews at RG where you can get road graters a dime a dozen.

We don't even know for sure how McIntosh will handle the change to RT and we're not gonna find out this season I don't think.

OK I read the quote and this may be moot but I think it wasn't saying that Spielman has 3 more guys in this particular draft he'll carry with him ready to go after in the 1st round, I think it means that in general his philosophy (his own, or perhaps carried with him from previous miami drafts) would be to have 4 targeted guys in the first round that you project should get taken around your area...4 guys you track specifically that would be worthy of your pick and if none of those guys are available, you try and trade down. I think the paper is probably assuming (correctly) that Andrews will be one of those 4 guys this particular year.

The other guys could vary. The guys I would track are Phil Rivers, Shawn Andrews, Mike Williams, and Vince Wilfork. Rivers I'm just nutty over him I mean this has been hashed out a lot so no need to get back into it. Andrews is pretty self-explanatory too. Mike Williams I dont know after the times he ran he could make a pretty dramatic fall (dramatic = to pick #20). Vince Wilfork, I dont know why he'd fall to pick #20 but strange things have happened before, could happen again.

Back
Top Bottom