Another Good Reason Why We Didn't Draft Tyrone Calico | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Another Good Reason Why We Didn't Draft Tyrone Calico

Boomer

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
The dodgy hands and bad routes aside, it's now apparent that like Peter Warwick, Calico has 20-60 vision in BOTH eyes. He has been fitted for contact lenses, but it's less than ideal.

Can we get a reason why we didn't pick Mike doss or Anquan Boldin? :confused:

Well, I realize that they were probably think Stealers/Troy P. = Easier to acquire Knight.

But why didn't we take Boldin?

Originally posted by Boomer
The dodgy hands and bad routes aside, it's now apparent that like Peter Warwick, Calico has 20-60 vision in BOTH eyes. He has been fitted for contact lenses, but it's less than ideal.

Bob Griese had bad vision.

If Moore does indeed win the SLB starting job, we'll know why. :D But we needed a LB anyway.

Boldin had no chance of starting this year. #4 was as high as he'd get. Doss simply doesn't warrant a long term investment. He is more like Sammy Knight (a hitter) than a coverage guy we favor. With Sammy Knight, we're trying to go with a 1-year experiment approach. With Doss, you have to commit yourself.

And Knight being the better player goes without saying.

Bob Griese wore cool coke bottles.

Let me take a second to anwser why we didn't draft Anquan Boldin at selection 49. Obviously, when Dave and Rick said after the draft that they did like some receivcers that were there but didn't like the value, Boldin was one of those guys. For argument sake, let's compare Boldin to a guy we got in the fifth round J.R Tolver from San Diego State.

Size: Boldin came in at 6-1 216 pounds at the Combine. Tolver was 6-1 202

Speed: Boldin ran a 4.71 at the Combine, following that up with a 4.47 (with TRACK SPIKES that scouts made him remove), he then ran a 4.57 on that fast track. Tolver ran a 4.66 at the Combine with a hamstring injury, and then a legitimate 4.51 at his campus workout.

Athleticism: Boldin: 33 inch vertical leap, 2.77 20 yard, 1.61 10 yard, 9-6 broad jump, 4.33 shuttle, 7.35 cone
Tolver: 36 inch vertical leap, 2.73 20 yard, 1.61 10 yard, 9-11 broad jump, 4.23 shuttle, 6.99 cone

Guess what? Each one of Tolver's statistics betters what the "super-athletic" Boldin did at the combine. AND Tolver was advised not to workout because of his hamstring. Let's move on.

Hands: Boldin: (From Dave Te. Thomas): While he can catch very effectively with his hands extended, he tends to cradle-catch the ball at times. (From PFW): Above-average hands. Can make the tough catch, the acrobatic catch, pluck and snatch. Spotty concentration and will drop some easy balls.
Tolver: (From Dave Te. Thomas): Does a nice job of tracking the ball in, but does have lapses where he loses focus, Extends his hands to haul in the pass, but does try to cradle catch at times, resulting in dropped balls. (From PFW): Has good hands and can adjust to the ball well. Will make tough, tough catches.

Routes: Boldin: (From Dave Te. Thomas) Has the lateral agility to shake free of press coverage at the line of scrimmage … Very effective on vertical routes, showing elusive moves to the corner. Plants and drives sharply on deep routes. Has a keen knowledge for moving the chains, knowing how to stay uncovered once the coverage spreads.
Tolver (From Dave Te. Thomas) Smooth and fluid in his release off the line … Flashes the ability to get vertical on defenders instantly … Runs crisp, clean short routes and shows explosion in his acceleration to go deep … Makes good body adjustments going up for the ball and has the jumping ability to compete for the pigskin at its highest point. Smart player who easily reads coverages and quickly spots the seam in the zone.

Experience/Compeition: Boldin: Shared time in 1999 and 2000, playing a combined 22 games and starting a combined eight games. He caught a total of 53-779-8 with a 60 yard long. Missed 2001 with a Knee Injury. 65-1011-13, with a 51 yard long in 2002. Obviously, being at FSU, Boldin has played against the best of the best week in and week out over his career. 1st team All-ACC in 2002 only.
Tolver: Obviously, has not played against the BEST compeition, but in 2002 he did go up against the likes of UCLA, Colorado, Colorado State, Arizona State etc. Not too shabby at all. Stats? Three year, every game, starter. 62-808-1, 71 long in 2000. 63-878-2 in 2001, with a 45 yard long. 128-1785-13, 69 yard long in 2002. Three year first team All-Mountain West, and a 2nd team All-American in 2002.

Injury history: Boldin: Missed all of 2001 with the knee injury. Tolver: Had a sprained ankle in 1999 spring drills, which caused him to miss a few games. Healthy ever since. 35 consecutive starts.

I am NOT, in this instance, comparing Anquan Boldin to J.R Tolver directly. They are very similar players, but if I had a choice beetween the two, I would give the slight edge to Boldin. However, we are talking about why the team didn't take Boldin in round 2. This is why!! We got a guy of very similar value, THREE rounds later! It's either Boldin, and once again miss out on a starting quality linebacker, or the linebacker, and Tolver. Take your pick. I like what we decided to do, and this comparison backs it up. Same height, a little bit smaller, a little faster and more athletic, hands/routes very similar, and much better production.

Originally posted by Muck
If Moore does indeed win the SLB starting job, we'll know why. :D But we needed a LB anyway.

We did need a LB especially if they follow through with the plans of Rodgers not being in Miami. If Eddie just ends up getting significant playing time I feel that it was a good pick because I just don't think that Boldin would contribute as much this coming season. It would be nice though if he proves to be a better option for us than Greenwood. Morlon's probably feeling the pressure right now and he'll either up his level of play or provide us with decent depth.

Awesome post NYR34!
icon14-1.gif

Great post NYR34. Although, I'm sure that took you more than a second.

Boldin's speed was too slow for us. We need a fast guy to pose a threat and Boldin didnt show that kind of speed at the combine.

Whilst you make fair points, you can't compare the intangibles. Boldin is clearly the better football player, better blocker, better athlete and didn't have the luxury of playing for a pass happy team. If Boldin played on a team that threw almost every down, he'd be as polished as Tolver is.

Whilst you make fair points, you can't compare the intangibles. Boldin is clearly the better football player, better blocker, better athlete and didn't have the luxury of playing for a pass happy team. If Boldin played on a team that threw almost every down, he'd be as polished as Tolver is.

But is his value as a second round selection as good as the value of taking Tolver in the fifth? That was his point.

I never saw Tolver play, so I can't compare him to Boldin. Certainly Boldin is a good all around athlete and may become a slower Michael Irvin. And, he is very strong. But, those stats put up earlier seem to put Tolver's athletic ability on par with or better than Boldin - other than physical strength. I was concerned about Boldin's speed above all else.

But, then, we're comparing Boldin in round 2-3 to Tolver in round 5. I think we got good value there.

On Eddie Moore, the key to me is not whether he necessarily beats out Greenwood this year. But, if he competes for the spot and he pushes Greenwood hard; and if he becomes a special teams demon, it will be worth the pick, as we should get improvement on the LB position and improvement on special teams. Wannstedt is definitely a believer that competition makes players better and, in general, I think that is true. That seems to be what he has tried to do.

Back
Top Bottom