Another interesting stat for the stat lovers. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Another interesting stat for the stat lovers.

I’m standing firm that Tua had a good game yesterday

I wouldn't call it good or bad. It was average in just about every way for the most part.

For a week one game I'm fine with it. If that's the average play we see over the next 16 games though I think we need a new QB.

I wouldn't call it good or bad. It was average in just about every way for the most part.

For a week one game I'm fine with it. If that's the average play we see over the next 16 games though I think we need a new QB.
I will take 250 34/17 all day for a 2nd year guy.

You do you though.

Isn’t that what everyone wanted? A more aggressive Tua?

Thanks for posting. It is interesting, but those types of stats really have limited value without a deeper analysis. Without context of situation, the defense being played against, etc, can we really draw conclusions from a 1 game sample size?

I don't know why we gave Jones all those short throws. I would have preferred tight man coverage at the LOS. Make him find the mismatch. Maybe it had something to do with stopping the run.

I will take 250 34/17 all day for a 2nd year guy.

You do you though.

250 yards per game would have been good for about 17th in the NFL last year.

A 2-1 TD ratio would have been 19th or so in the league.

Those numbers were great in the early 2000's, they signify trash now.

I was hoping Tua would be more aggressive. Here's a snip of some charts from NexGenStats, too, that shows the passing distributions.

NextGenPassing_Wk1.PNG

Thanks for posting. It is interesting, but those types of stats really have limited value without a deeper analysis. Without context of situation, the defense being played against, etc, can we really draw conclusions from a 1 game sample size?
I know it’s only 1 game but I think Cannata explained it better.

Since we are talking stats, here's a table I did showing 3rd down percentage as it related to wins yesterday. I was curious to see what impact it had if any. The green highlights the winners with the dark green to those that not only won but also had the higher percentage. The average 3rd down percentage was 40%. The teams with the better 3rd down percentage won 60% yesterday. Obviously, tonight's game is not included.

NFL_3rdDown_WK1.PNG

250 yards per game would have been good for about 17th in the NFL last year.

A 2-1 TD ratio would have been 19th or so in the league.

Those numbers were great in the early 2000's, they signify trash now.
Except a chunk of the players throwing for more per game had trash teams and were playing catchup all game like Herbert, Burrow, Watson, Ryan etc. Apparently you equate more ypg as mOrE bEtTeR? Also another 20ypg which isn't going to come against the New England secondary for 17 games would move him up all the way up to 7th ahead of Aaron Rodgers, so let's not pretend like there's some cavern between him and the rest of the lot.

As for the efficiency argument, I was being hyperbolic in terms of wanting strictly a 2-1 TD ratio, but Gisecki dropping the throwaway pass instead of bobbling it into the arms of the defense and adding the rush TD to passing if he just as easily threw it to Smythe instead or whoever it was puts his QB rating at 107.3 which would've been good for 4th in the NFL last season ahead of Josh Allen and only behind Watson, Rodgers, and Mahomes. That's the thin line we're talking about here for his overall performance.

Is he there yet? Obviously not, but like I said before the season I want a top 15 QB by the end of the season and with further growth top 10 next year. If you don't see it, that's on you.

Isn’t that what everyone wanted? A more aggressive Tua?

I mean zero disrespect towards Jones, but he was basically a game manager yesterday. I don’t think he targeted a WR covered by X the entire game. Obviously, that is a fairly smart game plan for a rookie QB in his first game. However, he had all day to stand in the pocket and make his reads on most throws, which really isn’t going to be realistic moving forward. Let’s see how he plays vs a team that can actually bring pressure.

Back
Top Bottom