Another Jake Long convert and here's why | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Another Jake Long convert and here's why

Padfoot

Edema Ruh
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Like many, I've converted away from my former pick and decided that I want Jake Long with the first overall pick.

Yes, it's true that Jake Long likely won't be as good of a pass blocker as Joe Thomas (who is really?), but he looks to be a superior run blocker.

We all know he only gave up 2 sacks in college, so it appears that he can hold his own as a pass blocker.

Initially I wasn't going to make a new thread since there's a few already floating around regarding Jake Long. But I want everyone to think of our potential running attack if we go with Jake Long.

We have a lot of talent at running back. Between Ronnie, Ricky, and Booker, we can run the ball quite a bit, without wearing down any single running back. That would cause a lot of problems for defenses (especially late in the game in South Florida heat) and it would certainly open up the passing lanes for Beck and Ginn.

There are a lot of parallels here with the 2003 Panthers, whom Henning had good success with even though he had an average QB and an average RB. While I can't say Beck will be as good or better than Delhomme yet, I can easily say that Ronnie and Ricky are better than Stephen Davis was.

However, we need the line to do it. And it starts with Jake Long in my opinion.

Yea seriously Jake Long would help us dramacticly by putting vernon at RT and im tired of watching john beck run for his life

why take JLong when we can get a RT in round 2?

Because I don't think any of the other o-linemen can make the type of impact in the running game that Jake Long can, while still being solid in pass protection.

Because I don't think any of the other o-linemen can make the type of impact in the running game that Jake Long can, while still being solid in pass protection.

you may be right and I am just in denial about how crappy a draft this is at the top

a RT as first pick in the draft?

clear.gif

The way I look at it is this. Our best young players are on the offensive side of the ball. Ginn, Beck, Satele, R Brown, Carey, L Booker etc (in no particular order).

We know this isn't going to be a one year rebuild. We also know it would be counterproductive to hurt the development of these young players on offense. Not doing well next season may hurt their confidence and stunt (or destroy) some of these guys' development. I've seen it happen many times in many sports over the years, including football.

This is why I see it as priority #1 to get the best left side we can get for the O-line. This will make the biggest impact for our team, and greatly benefit the future of our best young players.

These young players are ready to step forth and take the mantle as the leaders of this team. I say help em out by drafting Jake Long at #1 and a good guard like rachal or Greco in round 3/4 or so. All of a sudden we will see an impact like Cleveland had when they drafted Joe Thomas and shuffled their line to give them the best combination at each position (Like we will do by shuffling Carey back to RT where he has Pro-Bowl potential).

Cleveland's O-line made Braylon Edwards bust out, finally.He was seen as a bust before last year.. Their line made their tight end a much bigger threat.. Their line made Derek Anderson look like a Pro Bowler.. And their line made their creaky old has-been running back look good again........

It's a no brainer, we gotta go offense and finish the job there (helping out our youngsters on that side of the ball- help them fluorish)... Next season and the season after we put all our marbles on the defense and we will be contenders in 3 years with a very good team we can be very proud of.

We had a great defense for many years, and it led us to nowhere missing the playoffs year after year after year.. . The last time we were a perennial playoff team was when Richmond Webb and Sims/Dixon were on the left side and we had a good O-line. That is no coincidence

the question is, how good are the other guys compared to Jake? Is Jake really THAT much better than Gosder Cherilus??

I like Jake, if i was coach, id pick him at #1. but one has to think, u can easily pass up on him, draft CHRIS Long instead, and draft a mean Gosder Cherilus at #32, and still get your RT.

so the question our coaches and VP need to ask is, how much better is Jake, from the rest of the group?? its one thing if he was LT material, but FOR NOW, hes not. quite a few of these OT's can handle the RT spot just fine....

or u can just take Jake Long at #1, and then Phillip Merling (DE) at #32. Merling is said to be the best defensive end when it comes to stopping the run.

its gonna be tough....and i doubt anyone trades with us. as of right now its between Jake and Chris Long. i dont think anyone else should be in the mix.

id REALLY like to see a workout where Chris Long goes up against Jake Long...see who does best!

so the question our coaches and VP need to ask is, how much better is Jake, from the rest of the group?? its one thing if he was LT material, but FOR NOW, hes not.

Ridiculous.

Jake Long won the Big Ten best linemen award over Joe Thomas when Thomas was in his senior year. And Long did it as a left tackle.

you may be right and I am just in denial about how crappy a draft this is at the top

a RT as first pick in the draft?

clear.gif

I think he'll be fine on the left side, but if that isn't the case, it isn't the end of the world if we have to move him to the right side. Either way, he improves the o-line dramatically in my opinion.

When people get OUT of their head that he isn't a LT . . . the pick will be universally accepted. Even if worse comes to worse he starts at RT his first year . . . nobody is denying the impact that he will have on this OLine. I still think he will be a fantastic LT in this league. This RT nonsense is the biggest bunch of nonsense I have seen in a long time with one player.

I was a huge Chris Long supporter until I really thought about it.

How are we ever going to give a QB a chance unless he has the time to develop behind a good line? If we don't take Jake, then we hope that there is one left at 32. Because whoever we pick at 32 is more than likely going to be our starting RT.

I was a huge Chris Long supporter until I really thought about it.

How are we ever going to give a QB a chance unless he has the time to develop behind a good line? If we don't take Jake, then we hope that there is one left at 32. Because whoever we pick at 32 is more than likely going to be our starting RT.

Exactly,

We have tried Alabi, Toledo, Hadnot, undrafted FA's . . . .

Do people realize the last 2 OLine picks in the first 2 rounds for us were Samson Satele and Vernon Carey . . . staples of our current line . . . both I believe were top 3 at their position in the draft and BOTH arguably can be considered the 2 most successful draft picks we have had since the 98 draft when we drafted Surtain (I know Ronnie is a beast, but he has to prove he can stay on the field for I can call him a true success).

My goodness, we have some very talented guys in Beck, Ginn and Brown . . . for the love of God just draft Jake Long and build this OLine with the BPA at the most needed position on the team. As I previously stated, history shows our success with linemen who are top 3 at their position in the draft.

the question is, how good are the other guys compared to Jake? Is Jake really THAT much better than Gosder Cherilus??

I like Jake, if i was coach, id pick him at #1. but one has to think, u can easily pass up on him, draft CHRIS Long instead, and draft a mean Gosder Cherilus at #32, and still get your RT.

so the question our coaches and VP need to ask is, how much better is Jake, from the rest of the group?? its one thing if he was LT material, but FOR NOW, hes not. quite a few of these OT's can handle the RT spot just fine....

or u can just take Jake Long at #1, and then Phillip Merling (DE) at #32. Merling is said to be the best defensive end when it comes to stopping the run.

its gonna be tough....and i doubt anyone trades with us. as of right now its between Jake and Chris Long. i dont think anyone else should be in the mix.

id REALLY like to see a workout where Chris Long goes up against Jake Long...see who does best!

What happens when G.Cherilus isn`t available at the 32nd pick. We`ll burn our selves with picking players and hoping another is there, way to many plan B`s = a mediocre team. Going with the best OT than the BPA at the 2nd and 2b ups the overall talent level on our team. BP and JI have said in the past it`s about aquiring talent and more talent. C.Long is definitely a talent but it forces are hand to except whatever OT is available even when a more talented player is available in another position at the same pick.

Back
Top Bottom