Another Pats and Fins trade possible?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Another Pats and Fins trade possible??

PhinPhreak

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
The New England Patriots filled their need by acquiring running back Corey Dillon on Monday, and one NFL source said they will now try to address their want for University of Miami safety Sean Taylor.

The Patriots traded one of their second-round picks (56th overall) to the Bengals for the 29-year-old Dillon. That trade erased New England's flirtation with drafting Oregon State's Steven Jackson or Virginia Tech's Kevin Jones this weekend.

But an NFL source said the Patriots might try to continue their dynamic dealing by moving up to draft Taylor or cornerback DeAngelo Hall -- and they might work a trade with the Dolphins to do it.

The source, who requested anonymity, said Monday he believes the Patriots have talked to several teams about possible draft-day trades, and that Miami was initially one of the teams involved in those discussions. Last week, New England coach Bill Belichick confirmed he has talked to several teams.

''You only get 15 minutes on the clock, so you don't want to be dialing around the league [when it's your turn to pick],'' he said.

In the scenario involving Miami, the Patriots would offer a first-round pick (32nd and last pick of the first round) and their remaining second-rounder (No. 63) in exchange for Miami's No. 20 overall pick.

Trade???

I really don't see how the 63rd pick is considered a 2nd rounder, even thought it actually is to me it might as well be called an early third rounder.

I guess if there is nobody at #20 that the Fins want and they feel they can get somebody at 32 then the 63rd pick is a freebie. I just would hate the thought of once again helping out the Pats.

No way is Sean Taylor available at 20

and thats an awful deal and if Miami takes that, I'm gonna have to drop-kick Speil out of his Davie office

Seems a decent deal to me

we're looking at dropping anyway to get value from an OL outside of the top two and we get that done and geta second aswell.

The article ends by saying we probably won't do it pre-draft day because we missed out on Moss with a pre-draft trade under JJ. It wont work on draft day because Tayloy will be gone early and that wont leave the Pats time to make the two separate moves it needs to, to be in the top 7. To me that says it won't happen.

We might regret it however if Andrews fell to 20.

i actually think a deal with the pats is possible since we dealt with them in the recent past. the problem with this is these type of deals need to be made ahead of time if Taylor is there guy. san diego and other teams up in top ten hold the cards in the end and if those teams make deals then it puts a wrench in the whole thing. everything has to fall just right. but i would not deal our 20 for those picks. that is way out there. they would need to give us more picks for sure. that is too big a jump down on the second round pick.

Neither Hall or Taylor will be there at 20. Why would they want the 20th pick when they have the 21st? They have the firepower to get into the top 5, not hanging around at 20.

Just say no! Anybody outside the AFC east maybe but not the defending SB champs. :shakeno:

They probably want number 20 so they can package it with their 21 pick and move up that way.

Oboy said:
They probably want number 20 so they can package it with their 21 pick and move up that way.

Right the article says that the Pats would then package the 20 & 21 to move up and get Taylor. These trades can be set up ahead of time as a if-then scenario.

The Fins had something set up the year Edge was drafted, Jimmy had two trades lined up to grab Edge, I believe one was with the Bears, and then from there the other was to move up again by trading with the Skins to grab Edge. The Colts then came along and drafted Edge and the deals never happened.

So the Pats would probably do the same thing, they will say to the Fins hey if Taylor is there we will give 32 & 63 for your 20, they would then call whoever is probably in the top 5 and again say IF Taylor is there we will give you 20 & 21 + (whatever elese they may offer) for your top 5 pick. If Taylor is there the trade goes down, if not the whole thing is dropped.

This would eliminate any possibility of Shawn Andrews before he's even selected.

feelthepain said:
Just say no! Anybody outside the AFC east maybe but not the defending SB champs. :shakeno:

I can't buy into that POV. If there's a trade that's good for us, we should do it, regardless of whether it helps the Patriots. We can't govern every move by wondering whether Bill Belichick is sitting in his throne on Coruscant, laughing maniacally about "those foolish, puny Dolphins".

By the way, I don't think we'll trade down until/unless Andrews goes off the board. I claim no inside info on this, it's just my own $0.02.

Muck said:
This would eliminate any possibility of Shawn Andrews before he's even selected.

Yep, that's why I don't see that the Fins will make this deal. They have no idea what they will be missing out on at #20.

I don't know if we should help the Pats get a guy like Sean Taylor, to be honest.

Other than that I wouldn't do the trade unless the Pats tossed in their 3rd rounder too.

Back
Top Bottom