Antwan Edwards FS will be coming in for a visit. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Antwan Edwards FS will be coming in for a visit.

ESPN Insider FA writeup

Grade 64
Insider Analysis Edwards, drafted as a cornerback, is a better fit at safety. He has good size and some unrealized potential, but injuries have slowed his development. Has excellent speed for a safety and good range in zone coverage. Physical, with a strong upper body and adequate hands. Has recovery speed and elevation skills to challenge for the ball. Effective but not spectacular against the run. A strong tackler with good short-area burst. Wraps up. Inconsistent and injury-prone. Has missed 27 games to injury in the last four seasons. Struggles playing near the line and doesn't shed blockers well. Has trouble in man coverage. Lacks the quickness to handle small, darting receivers. Doesn't turn and run well. Makes too many recognition mistakes, though he has improved in that area. Overall, Edwards has been a disappointment, but he is an above-average athlete who might be able to overcome his lack of size at strong safety. He might be best off as a sub-package cover safety, though.

Just so you know they give Arturo the same FA rating of 64 and this is what they had to say about him...

Grade 64
Insider Analysis A fifth-round pick by the Dolphins in 2001, Freeman is an intense, attacking run defender. A former cornerback, he has the change-of-direction skills to stay with most slot receivers in man coverage and bounces right back from mistakes. Has good burst to the ball and will jump routes. Has adequate speed and can cover the deep half. Durable despite a lack of bulk. Has good closing speed and can be effective on blitzes. Athletic in space. Gets downfield quickly on kick coverage and generally wraps up ball carriers. Much better dropping into coverage than in run support. Size precludes him from lining up near the line often. Doesn't shed blocks quickly and won't make many plays after contact. Takes poor angles sometimes and misses some tackles trying to deliver the big hit. Quick to get into position, but he lacks great ball skills. Not a big-play guy. Seems more comfortable in man than in zone. Reaction time is inconsistent. Freeman might be a better fit at free safety than strong safety.

Originally posted by Ohiophinphan
Here are some notes on Antuan Edwards from some free agent lists.

Mel Kiper has him 10th of 32 safeties. (for comparison he has Arturo Freeman 5th, Shawn Wooden 14th and Chris Akins 19th.)

"This former first rounder has never been able to find a comfort zone. Given a chance to make the grade at both CB and S, he wasn't up to the challange at either. Until suffering a season-ending hamstring injury in late November, Edwards had done little to impress as their starting SS. He's not a big enough hitter to make his presence felt there, and lacks the speed necessary to make the grade at CB. In summation, you have a guy who can see action at two positions, but isn't the answer at either. Logical thinking dictates he'll be somewhere else this summer."

Frank Coyle of Draftinsiders must have been looking at a differant guy however because his write up is VERY differant.

First, he too has him listed as a SS, 6'-1", 213lbs. Coyle has him 6th among 29 safeties. (Freeman is 12th, Wooden 13th, and Akins 22nd)

"Former corner has made a smooth adjustment to his new and more natural safety position. He was having his best season to date in '03 when a hamstring injury landed him on IR with four games remaining in the season. He has excellent size/strength combination, is agressive in coverage, and has good recovery speed and excellent leaping ability. He doesn't have great lateral movement, lacks a great burst out of his pedal, and appears stiff at times."

Also did Bell play FS or SS at EKU, I thought it was FS and he was being looked at as competition for Freeman not Knight. Edwards would be competition for Knight and even more so for Wooden. Either would also make a strong possibilty for dime back which until last year had traditionally been played by a S for the Phins. In fact it was his excellent play as dime safety in 2001 that earned Freeman his shot at starting at SS in 2002.

Everywhere I looked it just lists Bell as a DB and not at a position. However I'm virtually positive he spent most of his time at SS cause I remember seeing him in the top 10 at the position in many ranking (gnreport, the insiders, etc) and wondering who the heck he was.

Thanks, CK. I know this thread is about Edwards but the notes on Freeman remind me why I want to see someone like Schweigert come in as a FS and Freeman return to dime safety. I think that's his best fit. To me Edwards marks a major upgrade over Wooden as depth at SS and on ST's.

bell was a free safety in college .. thats the spot he will play in miami as well.. right now the only backup at SS is wooden ... i looked bell up in my profootball weekly draft guide from last season ... they are even quoted as saying bell could eventually develop into a starting caliber safety ... being only held back by an injury!!!

Yeah please lets not forget we have a young 28 year old Sammy Knight who has done pretty good with us.. ALl he needs more time to be more like he was in New orleans..

Edwards seems to be a guy that can't seem to get a break...or should I say gets too many breaks (torn ligaments, hammy's, etc)....The concern for him is coming off a hamstring injury....he will be able to play, but not at 100% for another 6-8 months. That type of injury for a guy that relies on his wheels so much is tough....I don't know if he can compete. He has the talent...just can't seem to get over the injuries....

Here's some packers fans thoughts on Edwards, not this was posted before the Dolphins ever expressed interest in him, so they weren't dogging him for the simple sake that he was leaving.

Edwards

Not love, truth.

Its April and he's finally getting a look.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why. Might still pan out, but so might Ryan Leaf.....doubtful.

Just because he hadn't visited Miami yet doesn't mean pack fans thought he would still be a packer. We assume Jamie Nails is gone, but I haven't seen him visit anyone.

yeah , draft shawn andrews and to really start the competition at campwith resigning jamie nails, that would be a hell of a battle to watch, man i can´t wait till TC starts, because this will be my 2nd time around this year, the last time i was there Dan was too.......:D

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Just because he hadn't visited Miami yet doesn't mean pack fans thought he would still be a packer. We assume Jamie Nails is gone, but I haven't seen him visit anyone.

Which is really all irrelevant, since no one had anything good to say about him anyway.

You mean nobody had anything good to say about him when he was definitely a Packer? I dunno about that, I mean that could be true, but unless you find some old threads about him on Packer boards, how do you know? Right now what I'm saying is if its true that the Packers viciously turn on anyone who isn't a Packer any longer, then that could be the reason on that board there you see some nasty comments about Antuan Edwards. I mean what I'm saying is just because those comments were made prior to his traveling to Miami or getting any interest on the market, it doesn't mean that Pack fans didn't already get the sense that he will no longer be a Packer. Just like we've gotten the sense that Nails will no longer be a Phin even though we have a need at RG and Nails has yet to even VISIT any teams.

Edwards is adept at covering TE's one on one..........he does however lack the turn of foot needed to close out deep routes.......In other words....He is Brock Marion with alot less play making ability.........

I say draft somebody or convert a corner.........TBUCK anyone?

Back
Top Bottom