Any safeties in the draft that could be the next Polamalu? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Any safeties in the draft that could be the next Polamalu?

may be overrated but i bet you would take him in blink of an eye, the only reason you think he is, is because he was being talked about through the play offs because he was the only defensive player really making much of a SPLASH and therefore you thought he was being overhyped this guy is amazing yea he some times does overpursue but is top 3 in the league in terms of position

Phinsfan-Jay said:
Havent heard of anyone are you kidding me this is the year of the Defense with all these great corners and safetys by the way not to mention the year of the amazing Crop of Tight Ends around 10 to 15 are looking to fit the gates/mcmichael mold.

Corners/ Safetys: Top 5 of each in my opinion and to most.

Corners

1. Jimmy Williams - VT (40)- 4.40 Pro- Tall 6'2 Con- Awareness
2. Ashton Youboty - Ohio State Pro- Tall 6'1 and quick Con-Blocking
3. Tye Hill- Clemson (40) 4.30 Pro- Fast Con- small at 5'9
4. Antonio Cromartie - Florida State Pro- Size at 6'2 202lbs Con- health
5. Kelly Jennings - Miami (40) 4.40 Pro - size and coverage skills Con- Weak

late round great pick up in Demario Minter out of Georgia

Safetys

1. Michael Huff - Texas (40) 4.40 Pro- Versatile- Corner and Safety and Size Con- Awarness
2. Darnell Bing - USC Pro- Big Saftey with Polamalu type of intensity Con- lacks technical skills at the position
3. Ko Simpson - South Carolina Pro- Size and speed Con- Recognition
4. Pat Watkins - Florida State (4) 4.50 Pro- Rare Size of 6'4 and 205lbs very impressive stature for a safety Con- Needs to bulk up and not a vocal leader
5. Greg Blue- Georgia (40) 4.45 Pro - Size and speed Con -Lacks initial insticts

Hope this helps and i hope we get at least 1 maybe even 2

I like some of the ones you have listed here but do not totally agree with some of your assessments. Michael Huff con is not his awareness but in his gambling style of play. I didn't know that Bing was so highly rated but one of the biggeest cons against him is all the nagging injuries he has had. He is a big hitter and can probably be a John Lynch-type instead of a Palamalu-type. Ko Simpson biggest con is that he lacks experience and has only played two years of college ball. So he has tremendous upside as he has a knack for the ball. Pat Watkins may not be a vocal leader but he called the secondary assignments for FSU and was a leader by example. Greg Blue, now here is an enigma. I think he is probably the biggest underachiever of all the ones you mentioned. His sub-par senior season and disappointing combine where he ran in the 4.7 didn't help his stock at all. Is more of an in-the-box-type of safety. Two safeties you failed to mention is Donte Whitner who recently ran in the low to mid 4.3 and Daniel Bullocks of Nebraska who ran a sub 4.4 which surprised a lot of scouts.

One of the things that is overlooked by Palamalu success in that he is allowed to freelance because of the play of Chris Hope.

one guy you all seem to have forgotten is NATE SALLEY out of Ohio State. He was a 4 year starter with the Buckeyes and has some major talent. He's a name I would not be surprised to hear early on in the draft.

Bellson said:
one guy you all seem to have forgotten is NATE SALLEY out of Ohio State. He was a 4 year starter with the Buckeyes and has some major talent. He's a name I would not be surprised to hear early on in the draft.
I didn't forget about Salley. I just don't think he'll go in the first two rounds.

Michael Huff will be a great safety, Ko Simpson will also be a big playmaker

I dont like TP. I hope we can get Simpson, he would be great playin center field for us

Dolfan2788 said:
Polamalu misses a lot of assignments and is burned frequently but he does make big and great plays often enough to offset that.

Where do you get this from? The guy is probably the best safety in the game, where do you get that he was burned frequently? In the playoffs he was stellar...and he was in every primetime game they played.

DolfanInSoCal said:
darnell bing

Not quite.

Huff, Simpson, and maybe Whitner are all top notch Safeties. I'd be happy with any of them, although I think we need a corner more than a safety. Especially if we sign Chris Hope. I'm wondering why we haven't gone after Schulters or Lenny Walls in FA yet.

HUFF would be amazing if he drops but i really dont see him passing Arizona 49ers browns or green bay all earlier than us an shulters isnt bad so we should keep him

Phinsfan-Jay said:
Havent heard of anyone are you kidding me this is the year of the Defense with all these great corners and safetys by the way not to mention the year of the amazing Crop of Tight Ends around 10 to 15 are looking to fit the gates/mcmichael mold.

Corners/ Safetys: Top 5 of each in my opinion and to most.

Corners

1. Jimmy Williams - VT (40)- 4.40 Pro- Tall 6'2 Con- Awareness
2. Ashton Youboty - Ohio State Pro- Tall 6'1 and quick Con-Blocking
3. Tye Hill- Clemson (40) 4.30 Pro- Fast Con- small at 5'9
4. Antonio Cromartie - Florida State Pro- Size at 6'2 202lbs Con- health
5. Kelly Jennings - Miami (40) 4.40 Pro - size and coverage skills Con- Weak

late round great pick up in Demario Minter out of Georgia

Safetys

1. Michael Huff - Texas (40) 4.40 Pro- Versatile- Corner and Safety and Size Con- Awarness
2. Darnell Bing - USC Pro- Big Saftey with Polamalu type of intensity Con- lacks technical skills at the position
3. Ko Simpson - South Carolina Pro- Size and speed Con- Recognition
4. Pat Watkins - Florida State (4) 4.50 Pro- Rare Size of 6'4 and 205lbs very impressive stature for a safety Con- Needs to bulk up and not a vocal leader
5. Greg Blue- Georgia (40) 4.45 Pro - Size and speed Con -Lacks initial insticts

Hope this helps and i hope we get at least 1 maybe even 2

Did you get these pros/cons from somewhere or are they your own???

Because Blue is not a top 5 safety, Bing is not #2, Whitner should defintely be on there, and Huff's con is awareness???? No way.

stupifiedfool said:
i definately think polomalo is quite overrated too. he does make some good plays but half the time he over pursues or gets burned but people just see the good plays he makes even with his wreckless abandon.

I so agree with this. Iv seen him get burnt big time. He is more a LB almost than S the way they play him up on the line. He isn't that great at coverage

SpeedRush99 said:
Not quite.

Huff, Simpson, and maybe Whitner are all top notch Safeties. I'd be happy with any of them, although I think we need a corner more than a safety. Especially if we sign Chris Hope. I'm wondering why we haven't gone after Schulters or Lenny Walls in FA yet.
I disagree, we need a safety more than we need a corner. we have Poole, Daniels, Mitchell, Goodman and Thomas at corner right now. Poole, Daniels and Goodman are all capable starters and Mitchell would make for a great nickel back. we don't have anybody would could really start at saftey on our roster as of now. Bell is okay but he's a back-up, Tillman is also a back-up type. who else do we have at safety?

with the possible addition of DeShea Townsend at CB we would be set at CB because he is also a capable starter

nick1 said:
I disagree, we need a safety more than we need a corner. we have Poole, Daniels, Mitchell, Goodman and Thomas at corner right now. Poole, Daniels and Goodman are all capable starters and Mitchell would make for a great nickel back. we don't have anybody would could really start at saftey on our roster as of now. Bell is okay but he's a back-up, Tillman is also a back-up type. who else do we have at safety?

with the possible addition of DeShea Townsend at CB we would be set at CB because he is also a capable starter

We have too many unknowns at CB to say are set. I love Poole, but lets see how well he comes back from his injury first before naming him the starter. Mitchell is also coming back from injury and hasn't played an NFL down yet. Goodman and Thomas are backups/nickel backs. Depending on the addition of Hope, I think Bell is soild, he played well last year. Yeah we need depth all the way around but I think CB is just a hair bigger need. But yeah we need a safety or two as well. Hopefully we grab Hope, re-sign Schulters, and/or draft Simpson.

SpeedRush99 said:
We have too many unknowns at CB to say are set. I love Poole, but lets see how well he comes back from his injury first before naming him the starter. Mitchell is also coming back from injury and hasn't played an NFL down yet. Goodman and Thomas are backups/nickel backs. Depending on the addition of Hope, I think Bell is soild, he played well last year. Yeah we need depth all the way around but I think CB is just a hair bigger need. But yeah we need a safety or two as well. Hopefully we grab Hope, re-sign Schulters, and/or draft Simpson.
Hope at SS and Simpson at FS would be great. the DBs would be much improved

Back
Top Bottom