Any thoughts on the Jet game? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Any thoughts on the Jet game?

Originally posted by Phan4Ever
The Jets run D really has improved, but if it hadn't they'd still be able to stack 10 men in the box to jam Ricky -- or block our guys when Ray manages to connect to their only remaining d-back.

But seriously, folks...

Does anyone out there have any analytical insight as to why things pretty much worked for Ray when he came in off the bench for the Jets, and why it hasn't worked for the phins? If you looked at that old Jets game film what EXACTLY would you find different?

I'd welcome Jets fans' thoughts on this. But remember, "smack" does not equal "thoughts." Thanks :)

Parcells and Charlie Weis gave Lucas plays that he felt he could run successfully. They drastically cut down the playbook after Vinny got hurt that year. Mirer was a joke so really Parcells had no one else to turn to other than Lucas.

Lucas ran what they gave him well it took him a game or two though to get into the flow of being an everyday quarterback. He threw a bad pick against Indy that cost them a game but once he kinda got used to gamespeed he was fine.

In 2000 Lucas went in for an injured Testaverde in the Pittsburgh game and was awful. Same thing in Oakland later in the year.

Lucas is an ultra tense competitor. I fully expect to see Lucas play alot better than he did against Buffalo. It's gonna be a great game. Hopefully the Jets will win though. :)

Later

didn't the jets have only one win when lucas took over? that probably lessened the pressure a little. everyone in new york was already pissed and giving up on the season. expectations were soaring in miami when lucas took over, which could make the whole scenario different. it looks like turner has cut the playbook at bit as well. i do think lucas will play better in new york. i think being in giants stadium might remind him that he can do it after all.

Your right. After Vinny went down Parcells for some ungodly reason went and signed Rick Mirer. It was a disaster and I think by the time Lucas took over they were either 1-5 or 1-6 and the season was lost.

Lucas is really an enigma wrapped up in question. He is a backup qb who feels if given the chance he could start. I saw what this guy can do and I'll tell you he can start right now for a number of NFL teams. (Carolina, Seattle, Tampa Bay "Yes I honestly think he could do a better job with that offense than Brad Johnson). Maybe a lack of reps in practice or just he tries so hard because he feels he continually feels like he has to prove himself to make something out of nothing that he makes mistakes. I didn't see him play in the Buffalo game but from what I read and heard he awful. He was better last week. This week is interesting because he is coming home, he is gonna be fired up trying to prove that the Jets made a mistake in letting him go. The question is gonna be does he harness that passion and use it to sharpen his focus for Sunday's game or does it consume him and he tries to force the issue at times.

This game has me extremely worried. Even with your problems, the Jets have historically played down to teams with big problems.

I think the Jets have a good chance of winning, but this wil not be any cake walk. I expect a tough close game that can go either way.

Good Luck, and if any of you are going to the game, stop by 16H outside gate C along the outer fence. There is a large green flag flying high over us that says TROOP 16H!!

I think there are a few factors.

1. As already said the preasure in the 2 situations. There was none in NY. He really shouldn't have been there to begin with, so it was all gravy. He also took over for a team that was all but eliminated from the playoffs by midseason. Now in Miami he takes over for a SB quality team after the biggest win in a long time. He also takes over at a point where if he doesn't make something happen his career could all but be over. He is 31 this could be his last shot. He knew this before the 4int day, but made it more true with the 4int day.

2. O-line, O-line, O-line! The Jets had 1 of the best. They gave a young unexpeirenced QB time to make his reads. Miami's o-line is barely decent with their best player Dixon in the line up. With out him it has to be painfull. If you look back at the 2 games Ray had no time to be comfortable in the pocket. He made his worst decisions against Buffalo as he was being chased from the pocket. I think he got alot better dealing with the preasure against Greenbay. He ran for 49 yards combatting the lack of time, but when we were down by 17 he had to stick in there and throw the ball.

3. The biggest difference I see, the last one fits here as well, is play makers around him. Yes we have had Ricky, but the Jets had Martin, Keyshawn, and Chrebet. As much as I hate Keyshawn he gets open almost every play. Then you can also throw the ball at him open or not, and at the very least with his size and strength he won't let the CB pick it off, but will probably make a play on the ball. Chrebet was injured before Ray got in there, but was inhis prime when he came back. He wasn't an all-star, but better than who we have had out there. Ray's first game was played with the #3 and #4 wr starting. Last week Chambers came back, but was hardly himself. He didn't get open, and was invisable untill the TD drive. See the irony there? Carter got open, but couldn't catch it or hold on to it when Ray threw him the ball.

Excuses are just that, but this isn't our starting QB, and most likely won't ever be a starting QB. His playmakers will be a bigger factor this week since they have gotten a chance to shake off the rust. His LT the QBs biggest freind or foe will be back. Add to that a couple weeks for himself to shake off the rust. I think we will see a much improved Ray Lucas this week. I hope so more than I could ever say. Not just because he holds the Dolphins fate in the palm of his hands, but because he shows more heart than any player I have seen, and he deserves to do better.

Originally posted by Phan4Ever
Hey Clumped One,

If you think that contributing $$$ to the cool thing that IS Finheaven entitles you to come on here and offer denigrating predictions against our beloved Phins, well....

it does. :p

:lol:

Thanks, I will!!

:lol:

regardless of how either team has looked in the past couple of weeks, it won't make a bit of difference in the out come. it never does when we meet up. your defense is strong like always and i'm sure norv will find a way to put some points up this week. i believe that lucas will play and he'll be ready to inflict some damage on the team that let him go. if he can't get ready for this one, then he might as well just retire now. that being said, i always believe that when two teams are pretty close then you always go with two things:
1. who's at home?
2. what team has the better qb?

the answers both point to the jets(kinda, it IS giant's stadium). i have always believed in chad and am just sooooo happy that he's working out. i can only pray that the performances we've seen so far, is for real. i rememeber saying about 5 or 6 weeks ago that he's the next montana. i know that's a bit much, but he's done nothing yet to make me think otherwise. in fact, he's done better than i ever dreamed. yes, it was against a couple lesser tier defenses, but it was still in the nfl. no matter how bad you look, no one in this league sucks.

it won't be the blowout that some are predicting, but instead a very hard fought and hopefully well earned 10-14 point victory for the jets.

Someone once said of Wagner's music that it is "better than it sounds."

I hope that it can be said of Ray that he is better than he has performed. He HAS to be.

I'd like to believe that Ray's play will improve with each game. You can't deny that he wasn't quite as bad in the GB game as he was against the Bills. If we get a lucky break, maybe some things will go okay and he can play in a more relaxed state.

When there's been real pressure to perform he seems to generate too much adrenalin or something and plays as if his mind has been overloaded with more stimulation and sensory input than he can process. I sense this in him because I experience it directly; I was diagnosed with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder in my late 20's. I can do complex analytical stuff as well as the next guy -- probably better, but I sure couldn't do it at the pace required in any level of organized ball. The way his judgment goes out the window when he's most stimulated is just classic. Man, if I were the coach or team physician and the NFL allowed it, I'd dose Ray with Ritalin in no time flat. Without it, when I was a kid, playing QB was futile. Everything became a blur and I couldn't process it in real-time. But with my brain stabilized by Ritalin (ironically, -- a stimulant), I finally got to see what it was like to be able to maintain organized thoughts in the midst of mayhem. (Not football mayhem, -- just life.) :)

Bottom line: I really think Ray can play the game if circumstances allow him to remain fairly calm. But if he feels pressure or allows himself to get too agitated I'll be draggin my sorry ass outta Giants Stadium early.

So that's my two-bits. lol TYVM for the comments you guys provided. :):):)

I think the key to the Dolphins haveing offensive sucsess against NY will be 1 player making a big play early. Ricky needs a long run, or Chambers needs a big catch, or Randy needs an acrobatic impossibility, anything to wake this sleeping giant up. If they get a big play early it will give them all confidence, and give the defense confidence that they aren't wasting their time.

that will be sweet, but playing mistake free and not turning the ball over will also do the trick... we don't NEED a big play, but it can't hurt ;)

The D will step up when it realises that the O has their back.

This has been interesting, I appreciate the feedback. I guess the one thing we really know (as evidenced by the Jets win in San Diego) is that we don't know anything!

This is a bizarre year in the NFL, and the only saving grace for us Jets fans, is that somehow they are still in the race for the AFC East - if and only if - they win this weekend. I guess that's what makes it exciting, and that's why I'll be dragging my butt out to the Meadowlands Sunday night.

Hopeful, optimistic and worried. Ah the life of a Jet fan.

Thanks for the hospitality.

Abdul Salaam
from theGangGreen.com

you need a big play from the passing game early to loosen up the run..your only chance in my opinion...if we are stacking 8 in the box like in san diego and you can't get us to respect the passing game it's a long day. San Diego never scared the jets through the air so we shut down the run..when they did go to the air the could only muster 189 yards.....lucas has to loosen up the run defense by getting some passes completed and moving the ball..problem is carter is not going to be a major factor and chambers has to show up--mcmichael has to become a bigger factor against our LB....one hit could send ray to the bench though with his shoulder.

here's a good preview of Jets O vs Fins D

see the middle to end of this: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ov08,0,3620979.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

I feel we need to be very selective about our blitzes of Pennington and keep a close eye on how they are blocking JT to help determine how we should blitz. I do not want to see Anderson or Martin running free in the secondary after the Jets call a screen ag. our blitz. Obviously, the less we blitz, the less likely the Jets are to call a screen. JMO

Originally posted by jetman67
This game has me extremely worried. Even with your problems, the Jets have historically played down to teams with big problems.

I think the Jets have a good chance of winning, but this wil not be any cake walk. I expect a tough close game that can go either way.

Good Luck, and if any of you are going to the game, stop by 16H outside gate C along the outer fence. There is a large green flag flying high over us that says TROOP 16H!!

are you serious? if i were you i would be smelling blood. what is pennington throwing at? 75 %? i see curtis martin and richie anderson cooking our LB's up for dinner and wayne chrebet and laverneous coles making a couple of big plays and santana moss returning a bick kick. i see the jets D putting 8 guys in the box and stopping ricky. i see ny jets 31 miami pretenders 10.

Originally posted by fin-atic
Thanks Manhattan. I am one of those Ganggreen Fin fans.

I am terrified. We have no offense. For some reason as soon as we lost Jay, we forgot how to get Ricky, Chambers, and McMichael in to the game. Three players who were the toast of the league are now non-factors. Go figure.

Just tell the Jets to keep it under a 30 point beating please. We are in the middle of our annual collapse and it hurts.

thats called coaching fin-atic. i am not impressed with norv lately. he is not bad, but he is not as good as i thought he would be. he needs to get rid of the damn end around and at least try to throw some bombs or use TE Clark more. something other than a end around. jim bates....well he said he was going to bring up the safeties more and blitz more. as far as i am concerned, we havent done anything more than any other year with this pathetic scheme of a defense that was made for 90 degree weather. which in case you havent noticed, we dont play in 90 degree weather all the time.

Back
Top Bottom