Anybody else worried about our secondary? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anybody else worried about our secondary?

I think if you got a great DL that can put pressure on the QB....you wont have to worry much about the secondary. We are strong at DL and we have Poole and Madison at CB for us.

This D is going to be damn scary!

Saban will shore up the safety positions by the time the season starts.

rookieholdout said:
I hear all the time about how we need to improve our o-line and our qb situation which i totally agree with but i rarely here somebody saying anything about our secondary. We went from having one of the top secondaries in the league to only having one pro-bowler. After getting rid of brock i was kinda sad but the acquisition of sammy knight made it better. I was never really worried about our secondary because everytime we got rid of a player we would get another pro-bowl caliber player. But this year after letting sammy go and trading surtain (which i know was necessary due to cap issues) we didnt get anybody of that caliber. During this offseason we addressed our run stopping problem but with the nfl being a passing oriented league now i feel teams will see how weak our secondary is and just shoot down the field. Is anybody else worried about this???
One word D E V E L O P M E N T.

I think we're ok in the secondary. We still have a nice CB tandem in Madison and Poole (who I honestly think will win the job in TC), Tebucky is a solid SS and Bell has alot of potential if he can stay healthy (big if). Safety depth is a big concern unless Saban can develop Tillman, Bua and some of our UDFAs, but starter-wise I think we'll do ok, especially with our deepened and beefed-up DL and pass rush.

Worried, but not losing sleep at night. You just don't replace a starter like Surtain very easily. I do hope Poole steps up and takes the #2 CB spot, while Howard gets comfortable at Nickel. The safety spots are a concern, but we still have the June 1st cuts and maybe a few more cuts here and there as teams tweak salary caps.

Better coaching will help the whole defense, the whole team really. The Panthers got to a Super Bowl with an average secondary thanks to a great front seven, though that secondary did cost them the game in the end. :(

I try not to think about how Howard was on that Panthers team, and don't want to see him as a starter with the Phins.

We need to address safety but we have one of the greatest DB coaches in the league. He's one of the few coaches we kept from the Wanny era, he's just so good. He made pro bowlers out of Madison, Surtain, and Marion. Sammy Knight is a playmaker who thrived in the system despite his 3-day 40 time. We've got a great position coach and a defensive-minded head coach, nothing to worry about.

New England won a SB with 2 marginal corners, who wouldn't be able to crack the roster of the Dolphins. Assante Samuel and some other nobody.

Nope, even without Patrick Surtain our d-backs are fine and the D as a whole is much improved.

Honestly, no, I'm not too worried, at the moment. I recall when JJ came in here. We were getting turnovers left and right running superstars such as Calvin Jackson, T-Buck and Shawn Wooten. It was entirely scheme and training. I get the feeling Saban believes he can "coach up" players to play DB positions and, having read quotes where people say that he should sell a DB development DVD, he probably has a good basis in believe that.

I'm more worried about FS than any of the other positions, except maybe DT depth. Bell is extremely talented and has shown promise however gets injured 24/7. Tillman hasn't dont much in the league but has good size/speed.

Since this is a new scheme being installed, the younger guys will have a more equal footing on which to compete with the veterans for starting jobs. Especially at safety with neither starter returning.
In that light, do not be surprised if Mitch Meeuwsen puts up a strong fight for the starting FS job. I could see our long term safety duo being Meeuwsen and Bua, although it may not happen for both this year. Yes, I know Bua is currently listed with the LBs, but in this defense, he is much better suited for strong safety and should be moved there in the not too distant future.

MrClean said:
Since this is a new scheme being installed, the younger guys will have a more equal footing on which to compete with the veterans for starting jobs. Especially at safety with neither starter returning.
In that light, do not be surprised if Mitch Meeuwsen puts up a strong fight for the starting FS job. I could see our long term safety duo being Meeuwsen and Bua, although it may not happen for both this year. Yes, I know Bua is currently listed with the LBs, but in this defense, he is much better suited for strong safety and should be moved there in the not too distant future.

he's been switched already

Back
Top Bottom