Anyone Believe Me About J-Mac YET? (merged 2x) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone Believe Me About J-Mac YET? (merged 2x)

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone Believe Me About J-Mac YET?

Man I'm glad to see that for once I have blind faith in a guy that its very popular to hate, and I'm actually being REWARDED for it.

But in case ya hadn't noticed, over the 4 games that James McKnight has started for us, he's averaged 3 catches for 66 yards...AND he's got a TD.

Meanwhile, back in the SIX games that Oronde Gadsden started, OG averaged 2.66 catches for 38 yards (and didn't have a single TD).

As I said before. J-Mac should have been starting for the Dolphins back when the season first began. Wanny tried to act like the decision was easy and that he owed Gadsden to just blindly make him the starter. But he should have stuck to his guns. Gadsden cried and cried and whined to the Press about how he was getting a raw deal and thinks he should be starting no matter what, and in return Wanny flinched. He made him the starter. But I say it now and I've said it all along, J-Mac is just plain the better fit for the Norv Turner offense. Of course, Norv Turner himself probably disagreed with me at some point and its good to remember I'm just a lay person...but all the same, look at what J-Mac is doing for us now.

When Cris Carter comes in, put him in the slot in place of Dedric Ward (who just isn't playing well)...straightup OJ McDuffie style for Carter. But do not, I repeat, DO NOT take James McKnight out of the game in favor of Carter unless there's a matchup problem.

By the way, SCREW ORONDE GADSDEN. He gave us some great years, some great catches, etc...but the Dolphins treated him well. And what did he repay us with? The crap that went down this year. Where do I even begin with OG? He was an exclusive rights free agent, and yet he whined and whined and held out on us to get more money. FINE, he's lookin out for himself and his family he wants more money then FINE. So, in an UNPRECEDENTED MOVE, the Dolphins actually reward this holdout exclusive rights free agent with a contract that most teams would not have given to an EFA, let alone one with the toes of an 80 year old man. Then, we try to make it open competition between OG and J-Mac for the starting spot opposite Chambers. I mean, they both did have an equal number of catches, nearly the same yards. Its only logical, right? Oh no, no no no! We can't have THAT. He's gotta go whining to the press about how he's given so much to us over the years, HE should be starting, etc. He throws a fit, and FINE...we cave. Wanny hands him the starting spot opposite Chambers and relegates James McKnight to complete obscurity...even as far as being INACTIVE on gamedays. So how exactly does Oronde Gadsden repay us? Well, for starters through 6 games he averaged less than 3 catches a game, and only 38 yards a game. Hardly any yards after the catch, and his per catch average was pedestrian. Oh, did I mention no touchdowns? Alright alright, can't blame a guy for not being all that talented when it gets down to it.

BUT, then he takes an injury. He takes an injury and he has the OPTION of playing through the season. We're paying him somewhere upwards of between 1 and 2 MILLION DOLLARS, to play for us THIS SEASON...and what does he do? He shoots long, makes sure that he'll get his FREE AGENT PAYDAY (which I almost guarantee will be severely less than he thinks it will be). Listen, I know players have to look out for themselves. I'm usually the last to call a player selfish when it comes to money. They deserve the money. And surely, now that he took the surgery NOW instead of later, yes indeed Oronde may get more money in free agency than he would had he played through the pain. But you have to look at the second side of the argument. The Dolphins are paying him a base salary this year over a million dollars, plus the prorated amount of his signing bonus, in order to play for us THIS SEASON. Not last season, not next season, THIS season. We finally have a great runningback, we've got all the pieces to the puzzle, and a GENUINE SHOT to make a super bowl run. And what does he do? He bails...

Incidentally, I'm glad he bailed on us. Now the coaches are forced to give a shot to the guy who should have been starting all along, James McKnight. And he's repaying us with production. Yards after the catch, high per catch average, with limited opportunities. And because of how this all went down, we'll be better off longterm because we won't be tempted to bring Oronde Gadsden back for any further seasons. I tell you, I was once as loyal to Gadsden as anyone. I mean, but he never particularly did anything to garner that loyalty aside from make the spectacular catches that make us go "oooh" and "ahhh". He never gave us top WR production, and he frequently showed us that it was all about HIM. Not the team, HIM. This is true with his clothing line (or are you not sick of the fact that everytime he does something good he tries to advertise his Original Gear line), with his spectacular catches (he has portraits of his catches up in his house, on his cell phone...which includes ones that come amidst devastatingly horrible losses), his contract status and holdout situations, and finally his decision to go on injured reserve. This is a player that has never really had ties to the area, and no matter how much we liked to BELIEVE it, was never really a team-first kind of guy. It takes a lot for me to turn on a player just for lookin out for himself, because players need to do that, but OG was always only lookin out for himself, and now that another guy, who has done nothing but shut up, accept his situation, and continue to teach the youngins, has stepped up in OG's place, I'm laughing. And I will be laughing as OG finds out he's not all that valuable outside of a Miami uniform.

I agree ck but, it did make me think.......I wonder if OG might actually have hurt his FA earning ability by doing what he thought would help himself the most? If he would have played the season out and proved his loyalty and toughness, wouldn't other teams be impressed by that? Or would they rather have a player that is all about the Benjamins? It hurt Cris Carter last year when he appeared money motivated instead of team motivated, I wonder if OG didn't stub his toe on this one.;)

I think you've got a point and I too wonder if that may have hurt his free agent status a bit. BUT, overall it probably doesn't compare to how much it would hurt him if he had the surgery in February instead of now....because he'd probably still be in recovery when teams begin mini-camps and possibly even training camp. A team would have to have faith in him much like we had faith in Larry Chester, in order to give him a nice sized contract.

Nonetheless we're still paying him nearly 2 mil to play for us THIS season, and not worry about things like that. He's not even WORTH 2 million a year. He wanted the same money we gave to J-Mac when we signed him. I'll say this right now, I GUARANTEE that nobody gives him as much money as we did to J-Mac. Not to an old WR with older toes, no speed, and little ability to separate.

I'm not sure BHumphrey, I love McKnight's speed, can't just double chambers..and now that Mac is getting his confidence back...he's playing pretty good...I love OG solid hands, but I'm loving Mac's escape and run act a little more..

Why do you call him J-Mac? Shouldn't it be J-Mc(Mick)?

Screw Oronde Gadsden man. At least James McKnight hasn't been all about his own production ever since he got here. Oronde on the other hand, has been all about himself. So what if OG has great hands. Doesn't do a whole lot of good if you can't get open.

I always thought Mcknight should have been starter because of his speed that can help stretch the field so that opposing defense wouldn't double Chambers by cheating a seafty to his side..I wouldn't say screw Gadsen but cetainly he is not worth the money he is asking because of his age and his speed.

I just say screw him because not once (to my recollection) can I remember a single action done by him in the sole interest of the team and not himself.

Can anyone tell me where Mcknight got those hands?

I think losing his starting job and the addition of Cris Carter made him pick up his level and concentrate catching the ball. Hopefully he keeps it up. Good Job J.M.

I think his reputation for bad hands came largely from the fact that he was forced to play the slot last year even though he is not a natural slot receiver.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I think his reputation for bad hands came largely from the fact that he was forced to play the slot last year even though he is not a natural slot receiver.

Very true ...He if you look back last season McKnigh didn't drop many ball but he just dropped a few in key situation and fans never forgave because of that(Especially that playoff game.).

I am becoming a big McKnight fan. He has really impressed me the last 2 games. Ward looked like the McKnight of last year, dropping balls and not doing much. McKnight should be the starter for the rest of the year.

Re: Can anyone tell me where Mcknight got those hands?

I am now embarassed to have won the nickname contest for McDrops - great game McKlutch :D

Well Ck I wasn't a member of this board at the beggining of the season, but if I had been, I would have backed you. McKnight's speed is better suited for the outside and OG's size and hands would fit nicely inside. Also CC, J-Mac and OG were our top three WRs. It just makes sense to have your best players in as often as possible.

Regarding J-Mac's drops: I remember reading a STATS INC. WR rating and J-Mac was one of the more sure handed WRs in the league last year.

Back
Top Bottom