Anyone believe the league is fixed? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone believe the league is fixed?

League is fixed?

• Yes

Votes: 128 57.7%
  • No

Votes: 94 42.3%

• Total voters
Not true at all.

One ref can dictate the entire outcome of the game or season.

You don't need coaches/players acting out a script. You only need one timely penatly to either remove points or keep the likelyhood of a team scoring points.

Timely penalties can kill drives, momentum. And certain penalties can be called on every single play making it seem normal rather than nefarious.

Sorry, not trying to be rude, but your friend couldn't be any more wrong.
Not at all. The games don't always come down to one play. There is so much more than that. Agreed that refs can dictate the game IF the game comes down to that last play, but other than that, it's a lot harder than you think. For instance, how many calls would the refs had to have made or missed in our routing of the broncos for the broncos to win that game?

It doesn't really have to be guaranteed. Leverage is leverage. If anything if a team whomever wants to win even by whatever means are deployed to do so it lessens the credibility that "the fix is in".
Fixed means a guaranteed outcome does it not? Let's establish what the word "fixed" means before we go any further... to me, "fixed" means a guaranteed outcome.

I don't think the NFL cared who won the Dolphins/Eagles game, but I do think like the NBA they try to influence a game to their preferred result.
There is no patent fixing going on but maybe pressure applied indirectly through the league office.
If we were playing the Chiefs in an AFC title game and Kelce and Swift are still together, I'd be nervous... very nervous.

Do I believe sports are fixed? Yes I do. But like I said in my prior post, it's only superficial evidence or in theory. Until proven I'm not going to change my Fandom.

Fixed means a guaranteed outcome does it not? Let's establish what the word "fixed" means before we go any further... to me, "fixed" means a guaranteed outcome.
Perhaps. If you want a guaranteed outcome, you may be correct. With gambling though, that cannot happen. It is very very illegal. The NFL associating itself with legalized gambling cannot have anything remotely close to influencing games at that level. They can put their finger on the scales though to get a preferred result while maintaining probable deniability.

Perhaps. If you want a guaranteed outcome, you may be correct. With gambling though, that cannot happen. It is very very illegal. The NFL associating itself with legalized gambling cannot have anything remotely close to influencing games at that level. They can put their finger on the scales though to get a preferred result while maintaining probable deniability.
That's exactly why I said because of the gambling the games can be "swayed". So really, are we agreeing here? Lol

I understand the NFL sees gambling as good for the sport since it keeps interest in the product high, but I think they should have remained a step back from any formal endorsments to help maintain plausible deniablity for any future allegations on being compromised.
Nowadays, it's not just gambling; Fantasy Football has also grown into a huge industry.

No, I don't believe the NFL is fixed. I actually think the suggestion is quite absurd.

But I do think it's possible (although there's no proof at this point) that there are isolated bad actors within officiating crews that try to put their fingers on the scale in order to determine the outcome of games. With the rise of gambling, that seems like it's more and more of a concern.

A friend of mine brought up a great point about that. If it was fixed, that would mean you would have to get all of the staff, coaches and players on board with that. That is WAY to many people to convince to do that and especially it not leaking out somehow. So no, I don't think it's fixed. HOWEVER... I do believe the allowing of gambling has some games "swayed" in a certain direction. I wish gambling on football wasn't allowed
Or just have the referees handle it :ponder:

You obviously read my post, so I’m confused as to how you missed the last sentence. Again it would NOT be perfect.

I just don’t see how it could be worse than what we have now. Especially when the theory is that there was bias Sunday night (Duane Heydt). Probably wouldn’t have to worry about bias with AI.

Ultron was as biased as they come.

/s

IMO, the league put it's thumb on the scale in certain games "for the good of the game". I think that's how they look at it. It's easy enough to do just tell the officiating crew what they need to promote to keep their jobs and not be too obvious about it. I also think it has more to do with television revenue than gambling although I could see where that could matter to them. The TV money is their cash cow and advertising dollars rule. is enough circumstantial evidence to make a better than good case for it.

An alarming amount of yes’ here

If it is was rigged there would be a whole hell of a lot of people that need to be kept quiet

Including former players. Why wouldn’t some third stringer spill the beans by now?

The difference with wrestling is that everyone knows it's not real; it's fixed. We expect the NFL to not be. We watch movies and shows all the time where it's all fake, but we enjoy it because it's interesting and exciting, but we love football because "Any Given Sunday". If this game wasn't "fixed" or influenced by the officiating in some way, please explain to me what happened. Are the officials that incompetent? And not just one official, but every single one of them that missed a call from the line judge to the umpire to the back judge to the head ref?

sort of feel like as long as referees are considered part-time employees with no health benefits and work a regular 9-5 during the week the option exists for a nefarious ref or two to take matters into their own hands. League needs full time refs.

Back
Top Bottom