Anyone Concerned About The Defense??... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone Concerned About The Defense??...

I know we've played three games without allowing a TD, but are we really that good defensively?? I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I'm seriously concerned with the way things have been going on defense....

I wasn't able to attend the game yesterday, but I must say that watching it on TV was a defensive nightmare. I'm shocked that we won quite frankly, and any other team with half an offense would have beaten us with ease in my opinion. You can't play that poorly on defense an expect to beat any playoff contenders....

I don't want to sound like I'm nit picking here, but when your TOP is doubled by an offensive as inept as SF's, something needs to be looked at in my opinion. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but we've been bending things way too much for my comfort, especially with what lies ahead for us....

FINAL NOTE : I'm very proud of this team as a whole, and they've already exceeded all of my pre-season expectations. I couldn't be more pleased with how Ireland / Parcells / Sparano have begun to rebuild our future. I don't want anyone to think that this thread is a complaint, I love what we have, it's merely a voice of concern at a critical stage of the season....

IN TUNA WE TRUST!!!....

Is San Francisco's offense inept? I thought Hill came in playing well. Even without Gore, the 49ers offense at least looked like they were decent.

No. Our defense is fine but I would like to see our offense open up a little bit. We are playing pretty safe football right now which limits turnovers. So I guess thats a plus.
I just don't trust our defense. They've been doing good lately but I don't think it's as good as the "no td's in 3 games" stat makes one think.

Not so much concerned about the D specifically, I am concerned about whether or not we are ever going to play a full sixty minutes on both sides of the ball.

Defense

Im not concerned.....the defense has been the most cosistent part of this team since the NE game a month ago.

I think well beat the Chiefs by at least 10, if the team is focused, which im sure they will be, we all know what is at stake, especially the team.

I cant wait for the jets game it will be a classic playoff atmosphere for all the marbles type of game, and i like our chances, it will be tougher than the KC game, but it can be done.

If Sparano dosent get coach of the year it will be robbery IMO.

GO FINS!!!!

Well a lot of these players are playing 3-4 for the very first time except for players such as Oyodele, Porter etc. You can't expect us to play perfect and that should be understood. In a 3-4 the linebackers in the middle play the field to not only tackle runningbacks but also provide passing support for the defensive backs. That is one of the reasons why some runningbacks have ran us over in some games and that is normal. Who cares if their rb's are getting yardage as long as we find a way to prevent them from scoring and force field goals. We are winning against those teams that have beat great teams in spite of their losing records and that is going to be great up until we beat the chiefs.

1. We are 6th in fewest points allowed in the league.
2. We have given up 8 rushing touchdowns and 15 receiving.
3. 20th in time of possession for defense (we ranked on the top for most of this decade due to our sucky offenses thus having a real tired defense).

Out of anyone in the league, Miami has the best chance to make the playoffs due to a few factors such as:

1. Miami Playing the Chiefs
2. Miami playing a Jets team that is completely out of sync.
3. They have to win the rest of their games and they win their division.

I would be surprised if Miami doesn't make it to the playoffs.

If Gore would have played I think we would have won that game pretty easily, oh and if B.Sims would have not came in to block S.Hills right side!

I am more concerned with an offense that goes 1-7 in 3rd down conversions and almost get doubled up in TOP, and doesn't score in the second half, than a D that hasn't given up a TD in 3 games.

I was wondering when someone was going to blame the O for the TOP difference.... Please...

Im not saying the O was great yesterday, but they only had 8 possessions for the whole game (not including Kneel downs). EIGHT! Are you kidding me? The average for the league is 12 per team. EIGHT!!!!

The defense needs to get off the field. Giving up 4 10+ play drives to a second rate offense without their best player is embarrassing. If they play that way versus a decent team they will give up 48 again. Multiple drives of nearly 8 minutes... to the 49ers.

The Defense took the O out of this game.

I am more concerned with an offense that goes 1-7 in 3rd down conversions and almost get doubled up in TOP, and doesn't score in the second half, than a D that hasn't given up a TD in 3 games.

LOL, good point.
:up:

Frankly, I dont think it was the offenses fault. Our play calling was awful. We didn't run the ball until very late in the game. If we run the ball 30 times a game, 15 for RB; 13 for RW; 2 for LP... Then I think that game is easily ours. Not just 5 point. Pennington is a great QB, dont get me wrong. But he doesn't have great recievers. There is only so much you can do with mediocre recievers. Plus with our great RB depth, i dont see why we chouldnt run like that every game. I'm not liking Henning recently. His playcalling hopefully won't lose us games down the stretch. Defense was exhausted, played outstnding in my book.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:Did you even read what you wrote?

Jeez.

Sorry, but when the defense is out on the field for over 38 minutes of possession, I tend to get concerned with things. It's just a concern though, it's not the end of the world....

Worry about something when you have a reason to worry about it.

I think the reason I stated above is sufficient enough, especially now when it's all or nothing / win out or bust. I'll promise you one thing, we wont beat the Jets if they control the ball for over 38 minutes....

IN TUNA WE TRUST!!...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but when the defense is out on the field for over 38 minutes of possession, I tend to get concerned with things. It's just a concern though, it's not the end of the world....

I think the reason I stated above is sufficient enough, especially now when it's all or nothing / win out or bust. I'll promise you one thing, we wont beat the Jets if they control the ball for over 38 minutes....

IN TUNA WE TRUST!!...

And I promise you another - if we keep them out of the endzone during those 38 minutes, we WILL win.

Talent wise I think we have an average defense. I think they know it too and instead of tryng to dominate and do things that they cant. They instead have taken a very conservative approach and play to their strengths. Thats why SF dink and dunk approach kept us out on the field so long. We dont have superstars. What we do have is a remarkably mature group that is very well coached.

I also think that it is fair to put SOME of the blame on the offense's lack of production. Our offense is banged up bad up front. This is a huge problem for us to find a way to overcome each week and honestly they are barely acomplishing this. Our D is as much to credit for this turn around season as is anyone on the offense. Pennington would not be the hero if our Defense didnt keep us in these games.

Bottom line is we are a young, developing team and there is alot of work still left on both sides of the ball. I think there are more talented teams around the leauge but I dont think there is better prepared teams. We are as ready as anyone for the post season. In fact I think we are more ready then some that will be there too.

Back
Top Bottom