Anyone Considering Martin's Mental Illness? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone Considering Martin's Mental Illness?

What's his mental illness?

the reporter who talked to Martin's people on ESPN said Martin is getting medical treatment right now but they wouldn't say for what.

I think it's obvious he has something going on in his head and I hope he gets whatever help he needs, but I also think that how this has been handled (unless it comes out that it WASN'T Richie that bullied him) shines a bad light on him.

I think the other issue is what was known about Martin's health.

the reporter who talked to Martin's people on ESPN said Martin is getting medical treatment right now but they wouldn't say for what.

I think it's obvious he has something going on in his head and I hope he gets whatever help he needs, but I also think that how this has been handled (unless it comes out that it WASN'T Richie that bullied him) shines a bad light on him.

I think the other issue is what was known about Martin's health.

I just read a week old story that his draft workup indicated no mental issues
at all.

Richie's dad so far has been more spot on about announcing the suspension, Martin's agent as a driver of this mess and Philbin and Ireland as snakes than Martin proving anything now that we know the context of that text Richie used bad judgment composing in response to Martin's in kind. So considering that he asserts Martin to be mental, to have tried suicide 3X and to be a drug abuser, based on the relative credibility of the two from what I've seen so far, I'm inclined to consider Martin being his own worst enemy and his delusions fueled and exacerbated by drug abuse. So yeah, in that regard I am giving more credence to Martin's illness, but actually less sympathy.

I see LOTS of posts ripping and making fun of Martin, who was and is being treated for mental illness. Does that not matter at all or, do some posters do the same in real life?

First of all, by today's definitions, everyone is mentally ill. And secondly, I'm not buying it. It seems like an utter and complete excuse. I think his diagnosed mental illness is probably depression, or something similar that most people could be diagnosed with, and frankly, just isn't that big of a deal.

Just to stipulate, I worked with mentally ill people for several years in mental hospitals as well as in youth detention centers.

Honestly, the more I hear about this situation, the more I think he is mad about not being at LT anymore. It's like Cartman in Southpark when things don't go his way. He basically has said "screw you guys, I'm going home"

Well that settles any questions on the issue. C'mon Man.

Settles all my question. If it doesn't settle yours, that's your issue.
Mental illness isn't a free pass in my book. He's well enough
to make millions of dollars playing pro football, he's well enough to
deal with Ritchie Incognito. He's a ***** and a coward. If you think
he's not, that's on you.

If he is TRUELY mentally ill, and it wasn't diagnosed and treated by
his life of luxury, advantage and priviledge, along with his Harvard
educated parents and all the diagnosticians in his academic and athletic
background, well, by all means, he should be treated and find a career
that isn't as stressful as pro football. I just find it very, very hard to
believe that he has ANY sort of sufficently severe mental dysfunction
that would warrant sympathy for a 6'8 330 pound man who can't handle
his own problems.

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Don't know the reason. Do you?
Nor do I care

I liken his mental illness to treating every kid in a 3rd grade class for ADD. People like to make excuses when they behave inappropriately. He went to Stanford, played in the NFL. Yes he may have had a breakdown from all the stress, but shifting blame to others is inexcusable.

Only scenario where I feel bad for Martin is if his parents are really pushing all of this and he is just too unstable to stand up to them. If that turns out to be true I owe him an apology.

Settles all my question. If it doesn't settle yours, that's your issue.
Mental illness isn't a free pass in my book. He's well enough
to make millions of dollars playing pro football, he's well enough to
deal with Ritchie Incognito. He's a ***** and a coward. If you think
he's not, that's on you.

If he is TRUELY mentally ill, and it wasn't diagnosed and treated by
his life of luxury, advantage and priviledge, along with his Harvard
educated parents and all the diagnosticians in his academic and athletic
background, well, by all means, he should be treated and find a career
that isn't as stressful as pro football. I just find it very, very hard to
believe that he has ANY sort of sufficently severe mental dysfunction
that would warrant sympathy for a 6'8 330 pound man who can't handle
his own problems.

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Nor do I care

this one is for you Goon in consideration of the good work you've put in, the horse manure you refused to let go unchallenged on this "issue" and all the tough love you've dispensed:

xge5ih-1.jpg

First of all, by today's definitions, everyone is mentally ill. And secondly, I'm not buying it. It seems like an utter and complete excuse. I think his diagnosed mental illness is probably depression, or something similar that most people could be diagnosed with, and frankly, just isn't that big of a deal.

Just to stipulate, I worked with mentally ill people for several years in mental hospitals as well as in youth detention centers.

Honestly, the more I hear about this situation, the more I think he is mad about not being at LT anymore. It's like Cartman in Southpark when things don't go his way. He basically has said "screw you guys, I'm going home"

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression/index.shtml

Something you may wish to read.

I have gone through tons of courses on depression. Enough to know that half of us could be diagnosed with it at any given time. And enough to know it's not the same as most mental disorders. It's temporary, and in almost all cases, not nearly as severe. I know you are reaching for anything you can in this thread, but I think it's time to give up.

Back
Top Bottom