Anyone else concern about Blitzing Luck? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone else concern about Blitzing Luck?

Luck was 11-12 against the blitz last week against the Raiders.

With a few sacks and several missed sacks.

Both of his TD passes he got hit as well (especially the 2nd one).

He wasn't blitzed on the 2nd TD. The Colts were running play action and pulled the left guard to distract the linebackers. Samson Satele failed to block the DT and so Luck had pressure in his face too early and threw up a ball that could have easily been intercepted and at minimum should have been knocked down if the Raiders hadn't played it so poorly.

Luck was 11-12 against the blitz last week against the Raiders.

Both of his TD passes he got hit as well (especially the 2nd one).

I believe Andrew's luck is about to run out Colt dude. Your OL consist of 40% ex Dolphin rejects so don't plan on running the ball ... period.
Luck will make his plays but something tells me Wallace will exploded and we win a shootout between the two young guns.

Last edited by a moderator:

He wasn't blitzed on the 2nd TD. The Colts were running play action and pulled the left guard to distract the linebackers. Samson Satele failed to block the DT and so Luck had pressure in his face too early and threw up a ball that could have easily been intercepted and at minimum should have been knocked down if the Raiders hadn't played it so poorly.

Why am I having terrible flashbacks of Sean Smith and someone else? Clemons? Jones? I forgot, either-way completely playing an "Andrew Luck Prayer" the worst possible way? In the aftermath little Ty Hilton rose above Sean Smith and the other defender to snatch the ball out of the air in the endzone while they watched on their collective assesses.

You're right, I was just simply stating he does good under pressure, which is why I noted the 2nd TD pass.

And yes Samson Satele is terrible, as is McGlynn. Castonzo is normally our most solid OL, but played poorly against the Raiders (he had a knee injury in the 3rd preseason game, which might have played a factor in his play?). Thomas & Cheriluis have been pretty good in the preseason & the Raiders game. All Colts fans are hoping at some point (probably not going to happen for this game) that the Colts play their two rookie OL (Holmes & Thornton) in place of McGlynn & Satele. Sooner rather than later, hopefully.

Thoughts?

did you not watch the game last year?

30-48 433 yards 2td 0int

coyle would not blitz and luck picked us apart.

that was also the game indy was 13-19 on 3rd down

these were the killers
3rd and 12 at IND 44 (Shotgun) A.Luck pass short left to D.Allen to MIA 34 for 22 yards (K.Dansby).
3rd and 14 at IND 33 (Shotgun) A.Luck pass deep right to T.Hilton to MIA 42 for 25 yards (C.Clemons) [J.Odrick].
3rd and 9 at MIA 9 (Shotgun) A.Luck pass short middle to R.Wayne for 9 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
3rd and 20 at MIA 49 (Shotgun) A.Luck pass deep right to T.Hilton to MIA 29 for 20 yards (R.Stanford)
3rd and 10 at IND 43 (Shotgun) A.Luck pass short left to D.Avery pushed ob at MIA 35 for 22 yards (C.Clemons).
3rd and 6 at IND 22 (Shotgun) A.Luck pass short left to V.Ballard pushed ob at IND 37 for 15 yards (K.Burnett).
3rd and 16 at IND 31 (Shotgun) A.Luck pass deep left to L.Brazill to 50 for 19 yards (J.Wilson).
3rd and 11 at IND 5 (Shotgun) A.Luck pass short right to D.Allen to IND 25 for 20 yards (C.Clemons; K.Dansby).

i actually posted about it last year
http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?329041-absolute-garbage-from-kevin-coyle

30-48 433 yards 2td 0int

these were the killers
3rd and 12 at IND 44 (Shotgun) A.Luck pass short left to D.Allen to MIA 34 for 22 yards (K.Dansby).
3rd and 14 at IND 33 (Shotgun) A.Luck pass deep right to T.Hilton to MIA 42 for 25 yards (C.Clemons) [J.Odrick].
3rd and 9 at MIA 9 (Shotgun) A.Luck pass short middle to R.Wayne for 9 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
3rd and 20 at MIA 49 (Shotgun) A.Luck pass deep right to T.Hilton to MIA 29 for 20 yards (R.Stanford)
3rd and 10 at IND 43 (Shotgun) A.Luck pass short left to D.Avery pushed ob at MIA 35 for 22 yards (C.Clemons).
3rd and 6 at IND 22 (Shotgun) A.Luck pass short left to V.Ballard pushed ob at IND 37 for 15 yards (K.Burnett).
3rd and 16 at IND 31 (Shotgun) A.Luck pass deep left to L.Brazill to 50 for 19 yards (J.Wilson).
3rd and 11 at IND 5 (Shotgun) A.Luck pass short right to D.Allen to IND 25 for 20 yards (C.Clemons; K.Dansby).

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?329041-absolute-garbage-from-kevin-coyle
The only loss that hurt me worse was the MNF meltdown vs the Jets. I was screaming...Literally in frustration. My
wife left. She got flashbacks to the bad old days where I deeply cared and lived and died with every
Dolphins game, and was pretty difficult to live with for about half the week, win or lose during the season.

To me, it wasn't so much that it was MIA on the bad end, it's that it was a ****ing affront to the game
of football.

I'm might be in the minority here. But, I'm not a huge fan of Blitizing all the time and I'm don't think its the right approach going against this particuliar QB.

I'm worried that he will see it coming and with a savvy Veteran like, R.Wyane will make the necessary adjustments and lit-us-up. Others times, you can bet Luck is going deep to his favorite target.

I personally think our best bet is to Blitz sparingly in this game and rely more on our front four to generate pressure.

Thoughts?

I think the bigger concern is wrapping him up and bringing him down when we do get to him.
Whether we blitz or not, he will be under fire imho, it's just a matter of the first guy taking him down.
That's what hurt us last year. Plus the headless chickens like Sean Smith lol.

You're right, I was just simply stating he does good under pressure, which is why I noted the 2nd TD pass.

And yes Samson Satele is terrible, as is McGlynn. Castonzo is normally our most solid OL, but played poorly against the Raiders (he had a knee injury in the 3rd preseason game, which might have played a factor in his play?). Thomas & Cheriluis have been pretty good in the preseason & the Raiders game. All Colts fans are hoping at some point (probably not going to happen for this game) that the Colts play their two rookie OL (Holmes & Thornton) in place of McGlynn & Satele. Sooner rather than later, hopefully.

He is and he has to be. But the simple fact remains that no quarterback is better under pressure than they are when there's no pressure. You can thrive against the blitz when you beat the blitz, but pressure affects every quarterback.

Castonzo did not look good against the Raiders, especially when lined up against Lamar Houston, who to be fair is an excellent player and certainly the Raiders' best player on defense. The reason the Dolphins released Satele is because Paul Soliai kept eating his lunch in practice. I'm just now taking a breaking from watching last year's Colts/Dolphins game, and he's basically having his way with him. Satele's strength is his athleticism, always has been. It's how he gets away with having short arms and not much power. Unfortunately for him the Colts run a lot of man blocking, which is his weakness. Cherlius is a power pig and not a bad mover; he'd have been a great RT in the NFL of 20 years ago. But he's an anachronism in the NFL today and certainly isn't going to stop Wake with any consistency.

What should be interesting is how Coyle starts the game. I think he'll wait to see how consistently he can get there with four, especially since we have some corners hurting. To be honest with you we should be able to get there with four. Vernon is improved from last year and his best move -- the bull rush -- goes to Castonzo's lack of base strength. He was even getting some pressure last year. Odrick is slimmer and a better interior pressure player than a year ago. Wake is Wake, and we don't know yet how much Jordan is going to bring to the party. The Colts' weakness through the middle of their line should make help our linebackers when they do blitz (our stated reason for dumping Burnett and Dansby for Ellerbe and Wheeler is that the latter are better blitzers, fyi).

The Colts' running backs are not suited to running outside, which plays straight into our hands also. I can't recall a single run from the Raiders game that was designed to go outside the tackle. Maybe there was one, but I don't remember it.

This is all just an fyi. I don't know what's going to happen in the game itself nor am I one to make all kinds of predictions, especially when you're facing a guy like Luck. You can draw up all the matchups you want and say we should have an advantage here and we need to take this away over there but x factors are x factors and he is an x factor.

If I were Pep Hamilton I would spread the Dolphins out. Make our linebackers cover your tight ends in the open field. Stop us from being able to blitz. You won't be able to stop our pass rush with your offensive line but it will stop us from being able to blitz and allow you to isolate our weaker man and zone defenders with your superior skill players. Doing this sort of thing isn't Hamilton's style. He seems to want to shrink the formations and make the game smaller. I get that as a philosophy. But it will only make things easier for us.

I think the bigger concern is wrapping him up and bringing him down when we do get to him.
Whether we blitz or not, he will be under fire imho, it's just a matter of the first guy taking him down.
That's what hurt us last year. Plus the headless chickens like Sean Smith lol.

My feeling also. Our tackling is a bit scraggy - we need to wrap players up better. Richardson got yards last week he had no right to get because the first (and sometimes second and third) guy didn't hang on to him. Luck isn't Richardson in the tackle but he's incredibly slippery.

I'd prefer to see us not blitz excessively and up our tackling than to bring the heat on him all the time and have him pick apart the vacated space.

30-48 433 yards 2td 0int

these were the killers

That game last year killed me. Miami had the lead and could have won if it weren't for the play of the DB's and the lack of pass rush. Perhaps if Miami had a game plan similar to the game last week against the Brown's; Miami win's last years Colts game. IMO they were just to passive on defense.

here's what i see when studying the colts...

pressure up the middle is gonna be key against luck...i have no doubts we will be able to get plenty of wide edge rush pressure vs their tackles but luck is just so damn good at stepping up vs wide rush pressure and feeling pressure on the edges...we need our dts to create rush pressure...odrick and starks time to nut up

miami better be careful blitzing andrew luck too much...if he sees it he's gonna torch us in the vacated areas...double a gap blitz pressures with the lbs better be few and far between...i would really limit the blitzing of the lbs and try and pressure with the front 4 and a slot corner or safety...too many lb biltzes spell disaster to me in this one...send one or the other but not both...they'll be prepared for it

indys not as physical a front as cleveland...miami should be able to gain some yardage running the ball...most our outside run attempts vs cleveland were stonewalled by stout edge setting defenders against our tight ends and tackles even...should be better matchups vs indy...the lbs will run to the football and pursue well but i think we can make hay both inside and off tackle in the running game...the dts don't show to me as stout inside run defenders...the outside edge defenders are very susceptible to bootlegs and roll outs i would think that we would have them in our playbook this week the way indy got sucked inside so much vs the raiders...naked bootleg keepers with tannehill could produce chunk yardage...pass rush wise on the edge robert mathis is where the attention should go...first round pick bjoern werner doesn't show much...one thing that's very obvious is they miss dwight freeney something fierce...

bottom line is imo tannehill should have time to make plays this week and some clean pockets to work in...terrelle pryor in week 1 got himself in trouble either with not recognizing blitz pressure presnap or being unable to read coverage...tannehill is much more proficient at both and he won't be late with the football which pryor threw a pick in the endzone on in the first half...

the indy dts run to the football and the lbs are athletic but not very instinctual...i would attack greg toler at cb on the boundary and the nickle corner...i think our 3 wr sets should do damage against indy...

on d i think indy will find running the ball vs us tough...pretty finesse oline not a breaking tackles bruiser like richardson in week 1...vick ballard plays about like he looks small...ahmad bradshaw still has some gas left in the tank but they don't really concern me...

miami has to be careful with how much zone we play vs luck...they love to run intermediate crossing routes in the middle of the field with reggie wayne and he and luck are on the same page...

they'll try to get ty hilton vertical a few times as well...luck can at times have problems picking up the blitzing slot corner i expect to see us implement that in this game as well...

i see no reason miami can't or shouldn't win this game...but the wildcard is andrew luck...you just never know with that guy...should be having to make plays despite a lot of pressure...i think we'll use up those ots something fierce in pass pro

Last edited by a moderator:
No, Blitz him early and often. Force him to get rid of the ball quick and make mistakes. Dont let him just sit back and wait for plays to open up. We have a good Defense so let them do their thing.

Very concerned

Luck is very good at escaping the rush. Gotta be careful here. Good test for our D

I'm all for blitzing when we can afford to have a defender spy Luck. If not, his feet are entirely too dangerous and his down-field vision entirely too impeccable..

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

here's what i see when studying the colts...

pressure up the middle is gonna be key against luck...i have no doubts we will be able to get plenty of wide edge rush pressure vs their tackles but luck is just so damn good at stepping up vs wide rush pressure and feeling pressure on the edges...we need our dts to create rush pressure...odrick and starks time to nut up

miami better be careful blitzing andrew luck too much...if he sees it he's gonna torch us in the vacated areas...double a gap blitz pressures with the lbs better be few and far between...i would really limit the blitzing of the lbs and try and pressure with the front 4 and a slot corner or safety...too many lb biltzes spell disaster to me in this one...send one or the other but not both...they'll be prepared for it

indys not as physical a front as cleveland...miami should be able to gain some yardage running the ball...most our outside run attempts vs cleveland were stonewalled by stout edge setting defenders against our tight ends and tackles even...should be better matchups vs indy...the lbs will run to the football and pursue well but i think we can make hay both inside and off tackle in the running game...the dts don't show to me as stout inside run defenders...the outside edge defenders are very susceptible to bootlegs and roll outs i would think that we would have them in our playbook this week the way indy got sucked inside so much vs the raiders...naked bootleg keepers with tannehill could produce chunk yardage...pass rush wise on the edge robert mathis is where the attention should go...first round pick bjoern werner doesn't show much...one thing that's very obvious is they miss dwight freeney something fierce...

bottom line is imo tannehill should have time to make plays this week and some clean pockets to work in...terrelle pryor in week 1 got himself in trouble either with not recognizing blitz pressure presnap or being unable to read coverage...tannehill is much more proficient at both and he won't be late with the football which pryor threw a pick in the endzone on in the first half...

the indy dts run to the football and the lbs are athletic but not very instinctual...i would attack greg toler at cb on the boundary and the nickle corner...i think our 3 wr sets should do damage against indy...

on d i think indy will find running the ball vs us tough...pretty finesse oline not a breaking tackles bruiser like richardson in week 1...vick ballard plays about like he looks small...ahmad bradshaw still has some gas left in the tank but they don't really concern me...

miami has to be careful with how much zone we play vs luck...they love to run intermediate crossing routes in the middle of the field with reggie wayne and he and luck are on the same page...

they'll try to get ty hilton vertical a few times as well...luck can at times have problems picking up the blitzing slot corner i expect to see us implement that in this game as well...

i see no reason miami can't or shouldn't win this game...but the wildcard is andrew luck...you just never know with that guy...should be having to make plays despite a lot of pressure...i think we'll use up those ots something fierce in pass pro

I think Odrick has a monster game. This is precisely the kind've of game where Starks and Odrick should spend alot of time on the field together.

Back
Top Bottom