Anyone else remember a season like this | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone else remember a season like this

I have never seen a season where there's been so much blame being spread around.

One of the maddening seasons to say the least. I can't wait till its over, because only 1 team has a successful season at the end of the year.

To think we have a 25% chance of making the playoffs every year and it leads to this after starting out 3-0, is a bit depressing.

2002, Ricky Williams' first season, was heartbreaking. Start 3-0, lose our QB(Fiedler), Gadsden against the Broncos. But we're 5-1. Ray Lucas comes in and stinks up the joint for a month. Up and down till week 16. We are 9-5 with two to go, only need to win one. Week 16 Cris Carter drops a TD that hits him in the chest, we lose to the Vikings. No matter, win the next week, we're in. We're beating New England in New England 24-13 with 4:59 to go, and we lose. The last four minutes looked like the Dolphins were trying to throw that game. I've never seen a more unbelievable collapse in my life.
Season over.
I still don't like talking about it.

I was in a store today and saw Cam Newton press conference and I had to walk out if the store.

2002, Ricky Williams' first season, was heartbreaking. Start 3-0, lose our QB(Fiedler), Gadsden against the Broncos. But we're 5-1. Ray Lucas comes in and stinks up the joint for a month. Up and down till week 16. We are 9-5 with two to go, only need to win one. Week 16 Cris Carter drops a TD that hits him in the chest, we lose to the Vikings. No matter, win the next week, we're in. We're beating New England in New England 24-13 with 4:59 to go, and we lose. The last four minutes looked like the Dolphins were trying to throw that game. I've never seen a more unbelievable collapse in my life.
Season over.

Touche. IMO, that would be the last season that made me feel like this one does. Man, that feels like it was 30 years ago. Hell, the beginning of this season seems like a decade ago.

That 2002 season is still painful because I felt they had a team that could have competed for all the marbles. That D was brutal, Jimmy Johnson's draft picks were all in their prime, and we had a running game that could not be stopped(back when a running game still mattered)
For those who remember QB Jay Fiedler, he certainly had his limitations, but he was 1)gutsy and 2)athletic - there were games he pulled us out in the end, like Week 2 2001 vs the Raiders. I don't know if he would have been enough(like I said- he had limitations; read: weak arm), but I would love to have seen what would have happened that year had the Dolphins gotten in.
Argh.
We have not mattered since that season.

That's what I'm talking about....I seem to remember a lot of seasons like this.

I agree, to a certain extent, but this season, there seems to be even more than usual. There are literally 7 games this season that the outcome has been decided on the final play of the game and we still have more than 25% of the season left to play.

Season over.

I HAD successfully drank the memory of that season away. Thanks for bringing it back up. :puke:

LOL!!

I remember being 3-0 in 1995, another year we spent more money in the offseason. We finished 9-7 that year and backed in the playoffs only to get housed in buffalo, which was shulas last game. I was young then but I remember thinking Miami would be making a push deep into the playoffs. After starting 3-0 this year I thought for sure playoffs and maybe having a shot at the divison. Guess not

I'm just sitting her thinking that watching these games this season are beginning to not be fun for me. Granted, it's an addiction and I'll never miss a game, but my feeling before games now is one of anxiety and hoping for the best but expecting the worst. 8 of 11 games decided by 4 points or less?!? Are you effing kidding me. Does anyone remember a season like this? We always have some games every season that are this way, but virtually every game?

Also, anyone agree that the joy of the Dolphins winning isn't as intense as the disappointment and frustration of a loss. It's almost as if when they win, it is more of a relief than anything. Then again, maybe I just need to see a shrink... :idk:

Just seeing if I'm the only one that feels this way...

Been this way for years. Miami is a decent team but since they can't separate from teams, they blow it in the end and end up 7-9 every year.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Season over.

All remembered by me. Those facts should be the reason we quit this team :)

That 2002 season is still painful because I felt they had a team that could have competed for all the marbles. That D was brutal, Jimmy Johnson's draft picks were all in their prime, and we had a running game that could not be stopped(back when a running game still mattered)
For those who remember QB Jay Fiedler, he certainly had his limitations, but he was 1)gutsy and 2)athletic - there were games he pulled us out in the end, like Week 2 2001 vs the Raiders. I don't know if he would have been enough(like I said- he had limitations; read: weak arm), but I would love to have seen what would have happened that year had the Dolphins gotten in.
Argh.
We have not mattered since that season.

Very painful, that was a good team. You forgot one painful thing. Before losing to Minny and NE we beat Oakland up physically at home. Oakland went to the Super Bowl that year so basically just before we collapsed we beat the best team in the conference. We always get led on lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Season over.

If I remember correctly, had the Dolphins won those last two games (which they should have), they would have had the top seed in the AFC. Had that happened, that team could very well have gone to the Super Bowl.....they had already beaten the Raiders once in Miami. Instead, supreme disappointment.

I don't know if it's because I've gotten older, if I have become numb to losing, or if I have just become more cynical and jaded, but the losses hurt a lot more back then. That loss to the Patriots was about as mad as I have ever been after a Dolphins game. The only other one that comes close is the play-off loss to San Diego in January 1995.....I'm not old enough to remember much before the early 90's.

If I remember correctly, had the Dolphins won those last two games (which they should have), they would have had the top seed in the AFC. Had that happened, that team could very well have gone to the Super Bowl.....they had already beaten the Raiders once in Miami. Instead, supreme disappointment.

I don't know if it's because I've gotten older, if I have become numb to losing, or if I have just become more cynical and jaded, but the losses hurt a lot more back then. That loss to the Patriots was about as mad as I have ever been after a Dolphins game. The only other one that comes close is the play-off loss to San Diego in January 1995.....I'm not old enough to remember much before the early 90's.

I just think we're more used to losing now. There was a long period where the Dolphins were always good but not good enough. The 2004 and 2007 seasons made losing easier for me. I admit this years been kind of tough though because I thought we'd be pretty good and was wrong. These last possession losses loaded with missed opportunities are wore than blow outs if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, since this is the only pro-football team we have and that's who destiny has chosen me to follow, I take the aftermath with a grain of salt and just look forward to the next game. If we do get eliminated from the playoffs, it will all about watching the 9th youngest team in the NFL finish the year strong, and getting better for next year.. This constant losing will eventually stop, and I'll be right there to enjoy that too.

I don't get upset like I used to. Usually I'm over the losses in 15 to 20 minutes. Part of that is just me growing up and realizing other things are more important. Part of that is me just having given up.
That Chargers playoff game was sickening, we were winning 21 - 0 at halftime, I believe, and lost 22-21...because of a SAFETY.
Nothing will ever be as bad as that Super Bowl loss after the 1984 season. The 49ers destroyed us after a great season. I was sick, but the big difference was that there was so much hope then. Now, hope is just a tease.

Back
Top Bottom