Anyone else starting to think we won't be adding a WR in FA, and not mad about it? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone else starting to think we won't be adding a WR in FA, and not mad about it?

catch22

New Mexico Fin Fan
Reaction score
The way things are lining up I am starting to get the feeling that picking up a Big Time WR in FA not as likely as some of us had hoped and I am not really mad about that. It is starting look like it might not make sense to go the FA route for a receiver.

When you wade through all the b/s we can see that:

- Some of the best areas of depth in this year’s free agency are: CB, OT, and DE. (Not WR)
- Miami could use depth at CB, OT (if long goes) and DE. (among other areas)
- This draft looks to have an abundance of speed at WR (making Wallace worth a bit less) and unlike many previous draft's, some of the best hands and YAC/TD guys are also some of the fast ones.
- If Miami can address most of our other pressing (non WR) area's of need in free agency then the coaches can feel good about using some if not most of our early picks for WR/TE

And specifically on Wallace and Jennings:

- Wallace wants to get paid and he arguably is going to want more than what he is worth.
- If it's not us, some other team will overpay for Wallace.
- Some news outlets are saying Philbin does not especially covet Jennings as a player. (This may just be cover or BS)
- Jennings also may want to get paid more than he is worth. He is also getting older and an injury risk.
- Philbin seems cool and level headed and is said to have a substantial amount of input on FA/Draft pickups. If you look at last year with Flynn, all the experts said he would surly be a Dolphin and that Philbin loved him, that turned out to be completely false. Philbin saw Flynn for who he was, a possibly decent player but not a Franchise QB worth a franchise contract. It may be that the whole "Jennings to Miami because of Philbin" thing is similarly flawed argument based on assumptions.
- Ireland may (and should) be wary of getting in another situation with an expensive FA that might not work out like Marshall.

I personally do want to add either Wallace or Jennings in FA at the right price. (I would pay substantially above market value for Wallace but not way above) If that cannot be done I will be happy as long as Ireland/Philbin cover as many (non WR) areas of need /depth as possible in FA. We have too much free cap space to sit around and do nothing. As long as we cover as many of our other weaknesses as possible in FA we will have the liberty to use the early draft picks to add weapons on offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
well it all depends on what we spend in other areas. I dont want us to overspend on anybody but we do have to spend a certain amount of cap anyway and if we spent 15 million on a dissapointing lt and ignored wr it would be a huge dissapointment

I don't have a problem with it, as long as we solidify other positions before the draft. For example, I wouldn't mind signing Levitre, Vollmer or Cox (or all three). The draft is deep at WR and DE.We can then spend the top part of the draft on pass rushers and offensive playmakers.

i wouldn't be upset if we didnt sign a free agent. but i would be upset if we didnt address other needs with that money.

I'd be very upset. This wide receiving squad is too young as is, and the team would benefit from a veteran presence at wideout. The draft is still a gamble, and we need to get at least one top tier receiver in FA.

I'd be very upset. This wide receiving squad is too young as is, and the team would benefit from a veteran presence at wideout. The draft is still a gamble, and we need to get at least one top tier receiver in FA.

I will be upset if we dont do anything at receiver or do the crap we did last year there

Agreed. They need a sure thing to help the young QB. WRs take time to develop as well. The draft is fine for one addition to the roster but they need a feature guy.

We have to do something at WR, to think you are going to fill up that area with the Draft only is foolish. I'm not saying Wallace or Jennings are the only options, the idea of a trade is also out there to ponder.

I would be fine with it as long as we get 2 to 3 WR's in the draft, preferably 3. In fact, IMO we should use our FA money to sign 2 TE's, like Keller and either Bennett, Finley, or Davis. Then we won't have to address that position in the draft. Then with the rest of our FA money we should resign our own Clemons and Starks. Also, sign a FA DE and CB, like Cox. Then in the draft we pick an OG, 3 WR's, a CB.

I thought I heard Boldin is a free agent this year too, wouldn't mind adding him as a vet.

OMG can we relax till free agency starts. Ireland and Philbin have a plan and no matter how many threads we start and talk about who what and where we won't know till then

I thought I heard Boldin is a free agent this year too, wouldn't mind adding him as a vet.
He is under contract but is on record saying that if the Ravens cut him, he will retire.

I have said I like Jennings. However, I could also pivot and re-sign Hartline, one of the athletic TE's and an explosive receiver in either the first or second round.

Many different ways to improve at receiver IMO.

They have to do something and at least resign Hartline..No way you can enter the draft with just Bess..

Back
Top Bottom