Anyone else think Peyton's new record is a joke? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone else think Peyton's new record is a joke?

enigmatics

Go get me a juice box!
Reaction score
The man is obviously a masterful QB .......considering that everytime he steps up to the line of scrimmage he has been given the freedom to call his own plays and read defenses. Yet, where would Manning be without the 5 yard contact rules that have been so vehemently called in order to produce higher scoring games? Personally, I think it's an insult to Dan Marino that they have to change or bend rules in order to produce legendary results. Imagine if Dan had those same rules going for him back in '84 .........the man would've EASILY thrown 60+ ............

No doubt. Manning has a lot of stuff Marino didn't.

Mannings a great QB, and I'm not real disapointed that he broke the record. Dan's still a better QB, 'course.

:monkeyr: :monkeyl:

enigmatics said:
The man is obviously a masterful QB .......considering that everytime he steps up to the line of scrimmage he has been given the freedom to call his own plays and read defenses. Yet, where would Manning be without the 5 yard contact rules that have been so vehemently called in order to produce higher scoring games? Personally, I think it's an insult to Dan Marino that they have to change or bend rules in order to produce legendary results. Imagine if Dan had those same rules going for him back in '84 .........the man would've EASILY thrown 60+ ............

The man just broke a 20 year old record. Just give him his due and be happy for him. I will straighten you out eventually tonight :whip2:

Phinz4Life said:
No doubt. Manning has a lot of stuff Marino didn't.

Mannings a great QB, and I'm not real disapointed that he broke the record. Dan's still a better QB, 'course.

What really drives me up the wall is the fact that many sportswriters and announcers have been calling Peyton's season the best season a passer has ever had. I'm sorry, it's not even close. Those rules turned Peyton's offense into a game of Madden '05. Watch their offense prior to this year, it's not even close..........Peyton should thank the league for his new record.

enigmatics said:
there's several problems i have with the record chase...

1) Marino never had a running game.... Manning has one of the NFL's leading rushers, and has had him for years. With such a good running game, defenders have to respect the run so you have more openings in the passing lanes.... Marino never had this. he had decent rushers but no James... in 1984 he had Woody Bennet who ran for 606 yards. yeah, real game-breaker there. in 1986 he had Lorenzo Hampton who ran for 830..... neither of these guys would prove to be a James-caliber RB...

2) Marino wasn't trying to set or break records... his TD passes were honest-to-goodness passes. I have been following Peyton all year (he's my fantasy QB), and after those several weeks he threw 4&5 TD passes, after that you could tell he was purposely just trying to get the record. For instance, the last several games he has Edgerrin run everything between the 20's, and he only throws in the red zone. the plays and calls were simply to help him beat the record.

3) the playcalling. When Marino was playing, they called what was necessary to get the points. With Manning over the past several weeks, they will be inside the ten yard line with a first and goal, and pass 4 times to try to score, not even calling ONE running play. To me that is just committing TOO much to the pass, all in favor of the record. The one time this didn't take place was the kneel-down at the end of the game last week.

All in all i am not saying Peyton doesn't deserve this record.. just saying its under easier circumstances and with a cheesier motive.

Records are bound to be broken though, it was going to happen someday...

Well, marino had rules unitas and all those other QBs that had the record before didnt have, so theres not point in arguing this. and just because of the record it doesnt make one a better qb

MikeO said:
:monkeyr: :monkeyl:

The man just broke a 20 year old record. Just give him his due and be happy for him. I will straighten you out eventually tonight :whip2:

I did give him his due......in fact I started out by paying him a high complement. But the touchdown record......... I'm sorry.......... It's not legitimate to me......not as legitimate as when Danny did it.

BizarroAndres said:
Well, marino had rules unitas and all those other QBs that had the record before didnt have, so theres not point in arguing this. and just because of the record it doesnt make one a better qb

I'm curious.....these rules that affected the passing to the magnitude you've seen this season are?

to me the record is more legitimate because the athletes today are better than they were 20 years ago when Marino broke it.

There was no "zone blitz" back 20 years ago. The athletes on the field today (especially on defense) are just flat out better.

texasPHINSfan said:
2) Marino wasn't trying to set or break records... his TD passes were honest-to-goodness passes. I have been following Peyton all year (he's my fantasy QB), and after those several weeks he threw 4&5 TD passes, after that you could tell he was purposely just trying to get the record. For instance, the last several games he has Edgerrin run everything between the 20's, and he only throws in the red zone. the plays and calls were simply to help him beat the record.

Thats so much bull. If the defense is expecting a run because they are goalline or whatever, then its only smart to pass. Doing what is expected isnt exactly the smartest thing to do, and how can you blame them for passing when they have a great qb. They are trying to win, and they are doing it.

MikeO said:
The athletes on the field today (especially on defense) are just flat out better.

yes but this certainly holds true for the offensive players as well. receivers are better now than ever before, as are RB's....

so in my opinion it is easier to break records... that is why new records are broken all the time.

the only hindrance to breaking records is the salary cap, and they didn't always have that.

I've been having this debate since week 10. look the record is the record, and all props have to go to Peyton for it. However, as a purely individual achievement, i don't think you can compoare it to marino. dan was basically a kid, who had just a handful of games under his belt, with only a year's familiarity with his playbook and his WR. A kid!!!!!!! Peyton's had 7 years to master his craft and be in line with his top WR.

While the new holding rule is a good point, I think more of an advantage is PM has had the services of edge -- a two time NFL champion. Some of my Mia-hating friends have pointed out to me that dan had 4 RB that collectively racked up 1600 yards. What a joke. As I read somewhere, there is no comparison, because ds don't play any of those guys the same way they'd play edge. While servicable, nathan didn't strike fear in the heart of Ds, and therefore are not as vunerable to the PA pass -- something I've been told has accounted for 60% of PM TDs.

I would rather have seen the record go to someone like farve, but whatever. It's a great achievement, but not as big a personal success as dan's. No way

MikeO said:
to me the record is more legitimate because the athletes today are better than they were 20 years ago when Marino broke it.

There was no "zone blitz" back 20 years ago. The athletes on the field today (especially on defense) are just flat out better.

True.........players are bigger and faster.......but that's the level of the playing field......... Marino wasn't "ahead of his time" when he played......he was just the best d*mn QB out there. Just watch Peyton prior to this year. You cannot deny the rules had mega-influence on him breaking the record.

enigmatics said:
True.........players are bigger and faster.......but that's the level of the playing field......... Marino wasn't "ahead of his time" when he played......he was just the best d*mn QB out there. Just watch Peyton prior to this year. You cannot deny the rules had mega-influence on him breaking the record.
I think prior to this year he just had Harrison. Now he has Stokley and Wayne has grown into a very good #2 WR. He has more weapons now which he never had before.

MikeO said:
I think prior to this year he just had Harrison. Now he has Stokley and Wayne has grown into a very good #2 WR. He has more weapons now which he never had before.

Nah.........Wayne had a good rookie year, then he had a slump sophmore year. Stokley opens things up too......... but c'mon, it's pretty much common sense to assume that those three guys will benefit GREATLY from a rule which basically keeps them from getting jammed for fear of pass interference calls.

Back
Top Bottom