Anyone else think Peyton's new record is a joke? | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone else think Peyton's new record is a joke?

enigmatics said:
You guys can't just say that with nothing to back that up and expect me to believe...............that sounded like a lazy argument. Show me a link and I'll concede....
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2002130903_nflfeature26.html

I heard it during one of the games this past week. Dont remember which one, but a quick Google search returned the Seattletimes article. Look about halfway down, where it talks about Dan's record setting season.....

"According to the league, in the season Marino set those records, game officials also were operating with a point of emphasis on the illegal contact rule. "

darkoak said:
I can't believe this thread still exists??? Let it go it's a meaningless record.

I can't believe you're following me around in threads. Man, the stalker thing, it's a little scary. :eek:

yankeehillbilly said:

I heard it during one of the games this past week. Dont remember which one, but a quick Google search returned the Seattletimes article. Look about halfway down, where it talks about Dan's record setting season.....

"According to the league, in the season Marino set those records, game officials also were operating with a point of emphasis on the illegal contact rule. "

That link has one tiny statement ..............

According to the league, in the season Marino set those records, game officials also were operating with a point of emphasis on the illegal contact rule.

...............ok first off, is that all the NFL has to say? Usually when you come out and say something like this you say, "Look, see in 1983 we had this many penalties called for illegal contact, and then look how in 1984 that number jumped dramatically."

It doesn't say that......doesn't give any statistics at all. No offense, but that one tiny little sentence sounds a bit hoaky to me when the rest of the article does a fantastic jump of pointing out the statistical differences between 2003 and 2004. Actually the way the NFL just threw that in there sounded more like message forum defense than a real fact.

yankeehillbilly said:

wasn't Shula the head of something like the ref's association or something that had to do w/ the league? :D.

Edge does all the dirty work, then Peyton throws the shuffle pass. What a wuss. I bet next year is gonna be the complete opposite. Peyton going to throw for a bunch of yardage to try to break Dan's single season yardage record. Mark my words, Peyton will go for the yardage next year. I bet he will throw for probably 30 TD's. Im definately rooting for the Patriots to whip all there butts in the playoffs, cause if not all we will here is about Peyton vs Marino. That would make me sick.:yell:

enigmatics said:
That link has one tiny statement ..............

...............ok first off, is that all the NFL has to say? Usually when you come out and say something like this you say, "Look, see in 1983 we had this many penalties called for illegal contact, and then look how in 1984 that number jumped dramatically."

It doesn't say that......doesn't give any statistics at all. No offense, but that one tiny little sentence sounds a bit hoaky to me when the rest of the article does a fantastic jump of pointing out the statistical differences between 2003 and 2004. Actually the way the NFL just threw that in there sounded more like message forum defense than a real fact.
Why does it sound hoaky? The league said the rule was emphasized in '84. Can you show me a link from a reputable source that contradicts my link?

Talk of asterisk for new record simply nonsense

"How would you explain away the fact that going into this weekend, NFL teams were scoring a combined 42.9 points per game, while in 1984, the year Dan Marino threw his 48 TD passes, teams were scoring a combined 42.4 points per game?

What? Marino was playing in football's equivalent of the Dead Ball Era? We're talking a half-point here, which may matter to a gambler, but not a historian."

yankeehillbilly said:
Why does it sound hoaky? The league said the rule was emphasized in '84. Can you show me a link from a reputable source that contradicts my link?

I originally brought up that it was a little too coincidental that the NFL waited to the day that Peyton broke the record to unviel this little nuggett (see earlier in this thread). Pretty convenient way to deflect some of the critism coming the leagues way, that their rule changes caused for a broken record.

How could anyone prove that the NFL wasn't operating under the same emphasis in 1984?? I can't think of a way...........but someone could PROVE that they were, besides some nicely timed say-so from the league.

I even searched for some articles from the offseason and early in the year when the rule change was much discussed.......but see NO reference to 1984........

Superself said:
Talk of asterisk for new record simply nonsense

"How would you explain away the fact that going into this weekend, NFL teams were scoring a combined 42.9 points per game, while in 1984, the year Dan Marino threw his 48 TD passes, teams were scoring a combined 42.4 points per game?

What? Marino was playing in football's equivalent of the Dead Ball Era? We're talking a half-point here, which may matter to a gambler, but not a historian."

You could look at the jump in QB stats from 2003 to 2004 and see that something was different.............then look at the difference in QB stats from 1983-1984 and there is no such evidence.......the rule change increased passsing statistics, it's obvious if you look at the stats.

Again, it doesn't mean that Peyton doesn't deserve the record or that there should be an asterisk next to it.........it's just somethin that people should realize.

burger13 said:
I originally brought up that it was a little too coincidental that the NFL waited to the day that Peyton broke the record to unviel this little nuggett (see earlier in this thread). Pretty convenient way to deflect some of the critism coming the leagues way, that their rule changes caused for a broken record.

How could anyone prove that the NFL wasn't operating under the same emphasis in 1984?? I can't think of a way...........but someone could PROVE that they were, besides some nicely timed say-so from the league.

I even searched for some articles from the offseason and early in the year when the rule change was much discussed.......but see NO reference to 1984........
It would be easy to prove that there was no such emphasis in 1984. Any player that played in that era...especially defensive backs, receivers, and QBs... would remember. Why hasnt any of them come forward to dispute the NFL's claims? And, along the same line of reasoning, why would the NFL make a statement it knew to be false when there are so many people that could dispute it? I think you guys are grasping at straws here trying to find a reason that someone was able to break Dan's record.

Back
Top Bottom