Anyone else think Peyton's new record is a joke? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone else think Peyton's new record is a joke?

enigmatics said:
You guys can't just say that with nothing to back that up and expect me to believe...............that sounded like a lazy argument. Show me a link and I'll concede....
http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/wdhsports/281148111282016.shtml It was 1994.

no it's not a joke. it's a touchdown rule not a yardage rule. i think the entire colts team should be congratulated more than they are right now, however. that's a team record too. if edge scores one more TD, then that's 4 players with 10+ TDs.

bakedmatt said:
no it's not a joke. it's a touchdown rule not a yardage rule. i think the entire colts team should be congratulated more than they are right now, however. that's a team record too. if edge scores one more TD, then that's 4 players with 10+ TDs.
that is more of a testament to the Colt's OC than anyone else! Many teams have players that are more than capable of scoring more than ten TDs! but few teams have the playcalling to let them!

few teams also have such a bad defense that allows the offense to get BACK onto the field that fast.

The Colts lead the league in scoring, but are also in the league's top ten in points allowed. With a defense like that, the offense spends more time on the field and has more chances at scoring.

This has nothing to do with Peyton's record, just throwing this out for that last comment.

Fawn Lebowitz said:

They were trying to tell me it was 1984....

Fawn Lebowitz said:

Still waiting for ANY proof that this rule was enforced the same way in 1984.

texasPHINSfan said:
that is more of a testament to the Colt's OC than anyone else! Many teams have players that are more than capable of scoring more than ten TDs! but few teams have the playcalling to let them!

few teams also have such a bad defense that allows the offense to get BACK onto the field that fast.

The Colts lead the league in scoring, but are also in the league's top ten in points allowed. With a defense like that, the offense spends more time on the field and has more chances at scoring.

This has nothing to do with Peyton's record, just throwing this out for that last comment.
You haven't been paying attention in class. The Colts defense does give up yards and points, but they do lead the league in takeaway. 18 picks and 17 fumbles recovered, thats alot of times that we get the ball back for Peyton and Co.

Fawn Lebowitz said:
You haven't been paying attention in class. The Colts defense does give up yards and points, but they do lead the league in takeaway. 18 picks and 17 fumbles recovered, thats alot of times that we get the ball back for Peyton and Co.
It's because offenses are playing catch up, it's not that much of a testament to their defense, because their D sucks and is only better than KC's.

Robert Mathis has 10.5 sacks this year and when you see Bob Sanders in the playoffs:eek: Mike Doss isnt shabby either. And Thorton is his usual solid self.

Peyton Manning Broke the record. Big deal. Why dont we try a little survey?
The thing that helped him break the record was: ( try to pick only one)
A) An awesome OC
B) 3 very good WRs
C)The league's 2nd best running back
D)Countless "stretch" and play actions fakes
E) Emphasis on Illegal Contact
F)No bad weather games , I think 10 gamesin domes
G)A Defense that leads the league in take aways, is 16th for points allowed per game, has the NFL sack master in Freeney and the AFC runner up in Mathis, and not to mention probably the fast D.
H)23 of his 49 TD came within 10 yards of the goaline despite having a running back like James
I) A pretty solid O-line
J)Every (good)QB's numbers are up this season.

My answer would be K, all of the above.

Fawn Lebowitz said:
i haven't "been paying attention in class?"??

I just listed two stats that are facts from NFL.com. where's the "no paying attention" fit in?

nice line by the way

texasPHINSfan said:
there's several problems i have with the record chase...

2) Marino wasn't trying to set or break records... his TD passes were honest-to-goodness passes. I have been following Peyton all year (he's my fantasy QB), and after those several weeks he threw 4&5 TD passes, after that you could tell he was purposely just trying to get the record. For instance, the last several games he has Edgerrin run everything between the 20's, and he only throws in the red zone. the plays and calls were simply to help him beat the record.

All in all i am not saying Peyton doesn't deserve this record.. just saying its under easier circumstances and with a cheesier motive.

Records are bound to be broken though, it was going to happen someday...

Good point here. I said the same thing after seeing Manning throwing on 1st and goal from the 2 or 3. Obviously he wanted the record and the BS about how he's not after the record is the biggest crock that I've heard. When they were up big against Detroit and Houston, they were still throwing. They have one of the best RBs and they were still throwing. I hope Manning never wins a Super Bowl based on his greed to get the record. :evil:

SDFinFan said:
Good point here. I said the same thing after seeing Manning throwing on 1st and goal from the 2 or 3. Obviously he wanted the record and the BS about how he's not after the record is the biggest crock that I've heard. When they were up big against Detroit and Houston, they were still throwing. They have one of the best RBs and they were still throwing. I hope Manning never wins a Super Bowl based on his greed to get the record. :evil:
well i wouldn't say manning never should win a super bowl... i'm not that cold hearted. he IS a great QB and will most likely break all of Marino's records one day....

i was just saying the record doesn't mean as much now as it did back then due to the circumstances that happened on the road to achieving it.

SDFinFan said:
I hope Manning never wins a Super Bowl based on his greed to get the record. :evil:
i thought manning was trying to get the record, but he is a good QB. i'd like to see him in the SB one day. :o

Back
Top Bottom