Anyone else worried about Rex Ryan going to the jets? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone else worried about Rex Ryan going to the jets?

Whatever happened to Jason Garrett. Last season all I heard was he was the next hottest coaching prospect and this and that. I don't hear his name anymore. Is he still in Dallas?

He's still in Dallas, which is probably why he is no longer a hot coaching prospect. With all the talent they had on offense, they were less then spectacular this season. I think this season put a major hit on his head coaching future.

For a while, they were also talking like he was the next head coach-in-waiting for the Cowboys but now Shanahan's name keeps getting thrown around.

Parcells or Ryan, Parcells or Ryan, Parcells or Ryan.......hmmm

I think free agents would choose Parcells.

He's talking about the Ravens scheduled FA's if I'm not mistaken.

There's no question we have the inside track on guys like Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard. I don't see any way Baltimore lets go of Lewis or Suggs.

All of those guys act as if they would run through a brick wall for Rex.

Here's a few quotes on Rex from the Ravens defense:

LB RAY LEWIS
"Rex is the guru. He's not afraid to be different and move guys around to take advantage of our athletic ability. He trusts us that much."

HEAD COACH JOHN HARBAUGH
"This is a great football coach and even a better person. Rex is going to be a great head coach in the NFL, without a doubt. He's got all the talent, all the ability to do it. He's built something here that is one of the best in the National Football League, and that's the foundation for us to stand on."

S ED REED
"Defense is a tradition here at the Ravens, and I'm just proud to be a part of it. Yes, we try to go out and dominate, but we do it in a structure that is well-coached and proven."

CB SAMARI ROLLE
"Rex is an even better person than a coach, which says something. He cares about you, and he keeps us under control. We're his guys. I mean, look at this locker room. There are some strong personalities on this defense to deal with, real strong personalities. But Rex handles it. He's got a strong personality, too. Nobody disrespects Rex — nobody. We all play for him."

DT TREVOR PRYCE
"It has a lot to do with Rex putting us all in positions to make plays. He takes advantage of our skills and keeps everyone happy by calling plays to give us all a chance to be a hero. It's fun."

S JIM LEONHARD
"Guys would run in front of a bus for Rex. We'd do anything for Rex."

FORMER CB GARY BAXTER
"Every time he gets up to speak in a defensive meeting room, all eyes and ears belong to him."

GENERAL MANAGER OZZIE NEWSOME
"Rex has always been a gym rat for football. It's not work for him. It's pure enjoyment."

LB TERRELL SUGGS
"You want to give your heart out for Rex. I don't know what it is about him, but I hope he never changes. That's exactly why in a heartbeat, no matter what he'll ask me to do, I'll do it. I love Rex Ryan."

I think that was a big addition to the Jets, their Defense was much better than they played last year. Ryan will make them scary good. I'm not sure what their offense is gonna look like, but defensively they will be very good.

Who cares? Doesn't matter how good of a coach he is, that franchise is a hot mess. Brett "Old as Dirt" Favre will continue to be a distraction (yes, of course he's coming back - he's like a junkie, he just can't give it up) creating strife and division in the locker room, the GM Tannenbaum will continue to dick around with the contracts creating more unrest with the players, and in addition will do nothing to foster a team attitude there because he is always playing the game of covering his ***. Woody Johnson needed to clear out his front office not his coaching staff.

No not really .. compare our coaching staff to theirs and you'll forget about it in seconds

What do you mean? You cant really do that. Ryan has zero head coaching experience and Sparano has one year. After Mangini's first year he was a god as well. You got to see how things go in the long run. But even right now you cant compare them because Ryan hasnt coached a game yet.

Henning>>>>>>>>>>Schotty (if he stays on) I agree.

But the rest of the comparisons are not fair because the Jet guys havent coached a game yet.

As for Free Agents. Well if Favre retires we are going to have a good amount of cap room. I think a guy like Bart Scott has a great chance of ending up with the Jets and maybe even a guy like Jim Leonhard because Landry is the Ravens starter. Leonhard looks like a product of all the great players around him but I believe he is a "Ryan guy" so thats why I mention his name.

As a Jet fan I am happy about this hire. I really like his attitude.

He's talking about the Ravens scheduled FA's if I'm not mistaken.

There's no question we have the inside track on guys like Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard. I don't see any way Baltimore lets go of Lewis or Suggs.

All of those guys act as if they would run through a brick wall for Rex.

Here's a few quotes on Rex from the Ravens defense:

LB RAY LEWIS
"Rex is the guru. He's not afraid to be different and move guys around to take advantage of our athletic ability. He trusts us that much."

HEAD COACH JOHN HARBAUGH
"This is a great football coach and even a better person. Rex is going to be a great head coach in the NFL, without a doubt. He's got all the talent, all the ability to do it. He's built something here that is one of the best in the National Football League, and that's the foundation for us to stand on."

S ED REED
"Defense is a tradition here at the Ravens, and I'm just proud to be a part of it. Yes, we try to go out and dominate, but we do it in a structure that is well-coached and proven."

CB SAMARI ROLLE
"Rex is an even better person than a coach, which says something. He cares about you, and he keeps us under control. We're his guys. I mean, look at this locker room. There are some strong personalities on this defense to deal with, real strong personalities. But Rex handles it. He's got a strong personality, too. Nobody disrespects Rex — nobody. We all play for him."

DT TREVOR PRYCE
"It has a lot to do with Rex putting us all in positions to make plays. He takes advantage of our skills and keeps everyone happy by calling plays to give us all a chance to be a hero. It's fun."

S JIM LEONHARD
"Guys would run in front of a bus for Rex. We'd do anything for Rex."

FORMER CB GARY BAXTER
"Every time he gets up to speak in a defensive meeting room, all eyes and ears belong to him."

GENERAL MANAGER OZZIE NEWSOME
"Rex has always been a gym rat for football. It's not work for him. It's pure enjoyment."

LB TERRELL SUGGS
"You want to give your heart out for Rex. I don't know what it is about him, but I hope he never changes. That's exactly why in a heartbeat, no matter what he'll ask me to do, I'll do it. I love Rex Ryan."

Unless the coach is totally incompetent I think players have a coaches back. The Jets aren't a total mess. They've got some playmakers on defense in Jenkins, Revis, Rhodes, Harris, Pace. On offense they're getting old. If Favre returns I still think they should get a young guy to groom. Also Ryan needs to turn Gholston into a player.

If he's anything like his dad (a great D coordinator but below average head coach) not really. The Jets also are over the cap or real close to it after there little spending spree last year.

I'm not that worried. The Jets may have some good players on defense but, nothing like the Ravens. Not to mention how complex that system is, the majority of those guys have been there a while and know every signal and read. The Jets defense will not have the talent or the experience to cover up the QB weakness like the Ravens could. And if getting a decent Qb in the off-season is so easy, then why the hell did we go a decade without one???

I'm happy they got Ryan. I was worried Shanahan, Cowher or Gruden might get it.

I think Ryan will screw them up more efficiently than many other candidates.

great point

:hi5:

The best thing Rex will do for us is bring a real 3-4 defense to us. None of this read and react BS. I hate the 2 gap defense so much, its a way of the past. Sure certain teams master it but its not something I enjoy. I much rather have a attacking style defense, that has an identity. Unlike Mangini's soft we'll play to what you are defense. Rex wants to dictate the game with his defense. With us landing Mike Pettine as DC that will have some familiarity between coaches. Ryan feels very highly of Mike and they will be on the same page. Ryan did say he plans on calling the defensive plays and working with Pettine.
He actually is trying to grab a few coaches from Baltimore, all of his assistants. His DB coach, DL coach.

Offensively we have Callahan back as OL coach who did a great job last year. We also were able to get Westhoff on board and excited. So we'll be strong on ST once again.

Big question is if Brian Schottenheimer will be back or not, if so we still need a QB coach, a WR coach, a RB coach....
The coaching staff should be fine.

Lewis and Nolan also ran a Ravens defense with more talent. A prime Ray Lewis, and a shut down CB in Chris. (who is injured lately) Ryan had patch work guys in the secondary outside of Reed and got good play out of them.

I love Ryan saying we aren't playing back on our heels anymore and going to be playing on our toes.

Ryan was passed up last year for the Baltimore head coach position in favor of Harbaugh. That tells me Baltimore management didn't think he could he get the job done. I'm not worried about him in NY.

Yet Bill Parcells loves him and you guys think he is a god.

As long as he doesn't find another Ed Reed in the draft we should be fine.

We have Kerry Rhodes who is on that next tier and is the best S in the division.

I am on the fence with Ryan. I am not sure what he will be like as a head coach in this league. One thing to remember is that he was loaded with talent in Baltimore(Reed, Lewis, Suggs, Ngata, etc.). Having that much talent can make anyone look good, just look at Cam Cameron coming to Miami from the stacked Chargers offense.

Now, he may turn into the next great big time coach, but I just don't know yet. He is a bit of a loose canon, and if things start off on a sour note, watch out.

I honestly don't know if firing Mangini(who improved the team by 5 wins this season) and hiring Ryan was a move that was a no-brainer. Now if they fired Mangini and hired someone like Cowher or Holmgren then I could see it as a no-brainer

We have alot of talent to build on especially on D w/ jenkins, Harris, Pace, Rhodes and Revis. Offensively we just need a game manager type QB as we have good WRs, TE and a really good running game. If Favre comes back or if we get decent QB play we'll compete for a playoff spot.

Parcells or Ryan, Parcells or Ryan, Parcells or Ryan.......hmmm

I think free agents would choose Parcells.

But Bp isn't coaching and may not be in Miami soon.

Don't be shocked if he leaves and if he does he left you w/ 2 good guys running the show so you'd be fine either way.

I would be shocked if he left. He has everything he wants down here, minus a championship. I know we wouldn't be soo bad off if he left. But I just don't see it happening. At least not for another year.

He didn't get that clause in his contarct put in for nothing. He's at least going to get a nice pay day and make you sweat a bit and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he left.

Back
Top Bottom