Anyone Else Worried About The New Nfl Helmet Rule?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by The Tannehills Have Eyes, Jul 11, 2018 at 7:58 PM.

1. The Tannehills Have Eyes

The Tannehills Have Eyes A True Fan

Here's a clip on the new helmet rule for those who haven't seen it :

Not only do I think it will be detrimental to the quality of the game but I'm more worried at the consistency on how it will be called. Now I don't want to sound like an ole tin foil hat user when I say this but these are the kind of rules that can lead a ref to having an even more stronger influence over what team could win the game. I see this new rule like a holding call. They tend to happen almost every play but it's up to the ref when he actually wants to call it (or "inadvertently" see it occur). Sorry if this has already been discussed I haven't been on much during the summer. I do recall some journalist going crazy on how it could kill the game when the rule was first announced late in may.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018 at 8:35 PM
    fishfanmiami and royalshank like this.
  2. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator

I mean, they should expand rosters, because the way the game is being played as we speak, teams are going to have a hard time putting 11 players on the field by the 3rd quarter...

3. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Could you skew the game to the offense anymore then they already have

4. Ruckus45

Ruckus45 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

We are about to see a huge increase in broken legs and torn ligaments. Kinda like the Dustin Keller hit a few years ago.

dolpns13, randomname and crumpdaddy like this.
  5. The Tannehills Have Eyes

What a nightmare it must be to be a defender it today's game. That includes basketball as well.

6. Anvil35

Anvil35 Leave Users Titles Alone!! Finheaven VIP Donator

I say get rid of helmets or make them soft shell - the defenders certainly wont lead with their head anymore!!

7. TarHeelFinFan

TarHeelFinFan Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Fire

The game has to adjust or it will cease to exist. The NFL and NCAA will be sued out of existence if they don’t do everything possible to limit concussions. The refs will need to call it consistently to get the players to conform. Eventually though, the solution is to stop loading players up with 20 lbs of armor.

8. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

Whats the over under on the number of ejections September 9th?

dolpns13 and In Gase We Trust like this.
  9. royalshank

royalshank Not a Game-Changer Finheaven VIP Donator

Mike Freeman wrote a good piece on this but I can’t find the link. This can be called on defenders and offensive players alike and is going to be extremely subjective. League can’t even tell you what a catch is - how are they going to ref this with consistency?

10. Digital

Digital Starter Finheaven VIP

I gotta be honest, I'm fine with the rule itself. We should probably revisit this once we see how it is officiated, instant replay delay of this, impact on the outcome of games it has, etc. But headhunting does happen in the NFL.

We need to incentivize NOT-headhunting, and this seems like a reasonable attempt to do that. But it is trial and error, so we should keep tweaking it until we get it right. Otherwise, concussions and the non-fan impact that they rile up, are likely to have a very negative impact on the NFL, and possibly even the existence of football as a game for both the NFL and colleges. I can take an NFL without helmet-to-helmet contact. I can take a few bad ejections and a few changed games. But I really want to avoid the loss of football as a sport. Once we fall a certain way down that hole, there is no returning. So, find a way to deal with the problem. It will be healthier for the players, equal to the teams, and help the sport thrive. If this rule isn't the right one, we should change it. But, it seems worth a try to me.

11. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

It’s definitely gonna be tough to overcome yet another rule that affects all but the pats.

Manning, Digital, randomname and 3 others like this.
  12. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

Once again they will call it on the defense and totally give the offensive players that use their heads as a battering ram a pass.

13. DrMom9900

DrMom9900 Well-Known Member

Wow the NFL is worried so much about CTE that it is going to kill the sport.

14. royalshank

I still think this is a lipstick on the pig move. The subconcussive poundings taken on each play, from pop warner on, seem to be the true cause of the CTE. The league’s steps to date have largely been about creating the APPEARANCE that they are making the game safer when its questionable as to whether these rules will help. I don’t know what the answer is nor do I even have a suggestion. Just don’t think we are going to see fewer cases of CTE due to these changes while I do believe the game will suffer.

15. Sherif

Sherif Pro Bowler Donator

The game is moving so fast, I can't see how the Refs will be able to tell if the hit is with a helmet or shoulder or if it was the offensive or defensive player that led with the helmet or both. I couldn't hardly tell in the slow motion videos.

16. royalshank

Let alone know if someone lowered their head.

17. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

Absolutely correct.....I'm all for making the game safer....but damn.

18. The Tannehills Have Eyes

The game will probably evolve into something Rugby/Australian rules Football. No gear or helmets but same rules. Obviously the game will be played/approached in a whole different way.

Digital likes this.
  19. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

I've been sayin" that for years!! Makes too much sense. But ya know why they won"t??? Because it will ruin the "look"

NFL is ruled by $$$ grubbers @the top.

Don't believe for a second that every player isn't just a commodity...

20. Phishstix

Phishstix Finheaven's Fattest Pimp

Riddell and Schutt would fight going to a shell tooth & nail. Helmet sales and reconditioning are those company’s bread and butter.

21. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

The helmet has been proven not to protect against CTE and or concussions. It gives players a weapon to use against opponents and a false sense of security in terms of their own safety.

In rugby, players cannot tackle an opponent without wrapping their arms around the tackled player, ie no human missile tackles. Rugby has a concussion issue like football but CTE is (so far) not reported to be a big issue for ex players.

While every sport should have it's identity and distinctive features, the health of the participants is not worth compromising for the sake of cosmetics. I think this is a good step on the route to cleaning up football from the health issues that an ill-advised introduction of hard helmets has brought.

There's nothing soft about rugby. The idea that football would be soft if helmets are banned and tackling technique is cleaned up is frankly laughable.

22. pacresjt

pacresjt Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree with the new rule. I get angry watching players spearing with their helmets. It’s a cheap way to play. See what you hit. Simple teaching technique from pop warner on. Now how the refs handle it is another story. As long as it is called evenly against offense and defense I’m fine with it.

lurking, Albert Romano and Digital like this.
  23. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

I have a question for everybody that wants to make the game safer... So if the game is made that much safer but implementing more rules, having better, or less equipment as some suggest etc. Then are players going to get paid less money due to there not being as big of a risk? The answer is obviously no, but they should. This is in part why the rules wont change too much and why they wont get rid of pads, helmets etc. People love football due to its violent nature. Take that away completely and some people will stop watching, the NFL will stop making so much money, and the players wont be able to get paid as much.

I know I'll get blasted for this but I really dont see why we should go overboard to change the game and protect players. Yes they are providing all of America with a high level of entertainment and taking serious health risks while doing so, but they are also getting paid millions of dollars to do it. They also know the risks now and what they can do themselves to minimize those risks. If they dont want to take these risks they can simply choose another profession. If you dont want to get shot at then dont be a cop or join the military, if you dont want a crane to fall on you or fall off a high building then dont be a construction worker, if you dont want concussions and risk of brain damage then dont play football or any contact sports.

Even knowing what we know now, and seeing how messed up some of the older players were if the rules were the same as they were in the 70's, 80's etc. With today's pay for NFL players would I take the risk? #### yes I would! And so will tons of other players. You're taking a serious health risk to become a millionaire and retire in your early 30's a very rich man.

With all of that being said however the NFL is a business and they are trying to protect their stars to keep people watching, but let's not be fooled by thinking they dont still want the game to be violent.

GUH-sick-EE likes this.
  24. McMichael

McMichael Seasoned Veteran

If you took away the helmets the game would look like a blood bath....broken noses, poked eyes, busted jaws, broken teeth, etc....they protect from a lot more than just concussions...

Also to the person who said helmets "don't help protect against concussions at all", you do realize that is physically impossible right? You're telling me you think if 2 players were running full speed and collided head to head there would be no difference in the injury whether they had a helmet on or not?

Sherif likes this.
  25. McMichael

Where are on earth are you getting the "proof" from in the first sentence of your post? There is no way you actually believe that...

26. TraderJoe

TraderJoe FinHeaven VIP

I think the fix is simpler, every tackler must at least attempt to wrap up. This would eliminate those knockout shoulder tackles where the defender comes flying in on another player. Those are the hits that cause the most injuries in my opinion. As a byproduct you would have much better tackling across the league, cough, cough Minnesota.

Theoretically this should be easier to enforce as well, did arms come around or not? First year in effect, 5 yard penalty, second year 10 yard penalty, after that 15.

dahlmarino likes this.
  27. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

They better thank the heavens that fantasy football is such a huge draw for the sport with some of the piss poor matchups put together, rule changes and overall length/breaks of/in games. Also RedZone has been a solid addition to minimize the boredom of single games.

They had a huge lead over the NBA once MJ retired and Goodell has pretty much Atlanta Falconed that lead. Sure he milked it and help grow it to the highest heights but that means nothing if you cannot sustain it. The NBA is well on its way to being the top sport in the country and has the worldwide appeal in its corner, something football just doesn’t have.

The 2021 lockout will be very real and the NFLPA better get those negotiations right and take a page from the NBPA. Start preparing these athletes at a young age about financial planning, because the need to take a year away maybe the biggest ace in the deck for them . . . But not if these guys are splurging and can’t get away from the paycheck to paycheck life that a NFL contract should prevent them from having, therefore succumbing to a piss poor deal.

28. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek Finheaven VIP

We'll see how it's called but I'm cool with it in theory. Also not sure it has the desired effect.

I'm not at all a fan of skewing the game so much towards the offense, but real action must be taken to protect people from brain atrophy (I'd be interested to hear how many of the guys in the midst of losing their minds would still do it the same way. I know what the current players think.) ... since we all know the NFL won't when the time comes.

I'm thinking it's 2018 and helmet technology should be better ... although I base that on absolutely nothing.

lurking, Albert Romano and dahlmarino like this.
  29. TrinidadDolfan

TrinidadDolfan 1st Team All-Pro

I played rugby for many years and am happy to report that, it may not be soft in a general sense, but compared to football it is. The main difference is that football is “violent”, as opposed to much more grabbing etc in rugby. This is attributable to the SPEED of football. World class speedsters involved in head to head collisions, repeatedly. The brain reversed direction and/or comes to a stop in too short a distance...crashing against the inside of the skull. Rugby is completely different in the most brain-related regard

30. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

1. I get the safety side of it. Prime example is Shazier. There has a been a growing trend of defenders just lowering their helmet and using their head in the POC. Idiotic. I remember Parcells telling Pat Watkins(Safety) he'll break his neck if he kept on doing that.
    2. The real reason for this is $$$. Hits with the helmet=possible concussions=lawsuits=less money for owners

There needs to be some tweaks though.
    Hit #3, Westbrook does a last second spin/dip. That LB(I assume) can not simply let up just in case the player with the ball dips last second. Even hit #2 becomes a helmet to helmet due to the WR dropping down right before the hit.

31. TrinidadDolfan

TrinidadDolfan 1st Team All-Pro

The helmets could be made out of magical prancing pixie horse dust, and it still wouldn’t matter. A brain changing direction at high speed in a limited space has no where to go to avoid a collision with the skull wall. Advancements have been made, but any future improvements can only be minimal. The laws of physics dictate that it be so (see Newton’s 3rd law). The only caveat being a dramatic increase in the SIZE of the helmet walls, think “watermelons”....and that of course would never happen

32. Sarnics13

Sarnics13 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

League source just reported a leaked photo of the NFL's mandatory helmets starting 2019 season.
    womens-march-on-washington-pussy-hat-man-new-nationaliost-net.jpg

fishfanmiami and superphin like this.
  33. jnozag

jnozag Well-Known Member

I'm more worried about my favorite players getting brain damage, dying early, or potentially hurting themselves or their families.

dahlmarino and BobDole like this.
  34. maralieus

My personal solution to the issue isn’t exactly a fix-all deal because I don’t think it’s possible to stop CTE in football, but having weight limits for players might help to start in the right direction. Like 275 for lineman, 240 for lbs etc.

35. maralieus

Yeah that Jovan Belcher thing really brought it to light for me.

36. danstilldaman

danstilldaman Well-Known Member

Some info i found
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    HOW WELL DO FOOTBALL HELMETS PROTECT PLAYERS FROM CONCUSSIONS?

PHILADELPHIA – A new study finds that football helmets currently used on the field may do little to protect against hits to the side of the head, or rotational force, an often dangerous source of brain injury and encephalopathy. The study released today will be presented at the American Academy of Neurology’s 66th Annual Meeting in Philadelphia, April 26 to May 3, 2014. “Protection against concussion and complications of brain injury is especially important for young players, including elementary and middle school, high school and college athletes, whose still-developing brains are more susceptible to the lasting effects of trauma,” said study co- author Frank Conidi, MD, DO, MS, director of the Florida Center for Headache and Sports Neurology and Assistant Clinical Professor of Neurology at Florida State University College of Medicine in Port Saint Lucie, Fla. Conidi is also the vice chair of the American Academy of Neurology’s Sports Neurology Section. For the study, researchers modified the standard drop test system, approved by the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment, that tests impacts and helmet safety. The researchers used a crash test dummy head and neck to simulate impact. Sensors were also placed in the dummy’s head to measure linear and rotational responses to repeated 12 mile-per-hour impacts. The scientists conducted 330 tests to measure how well 10 popular football helmet designs protected against traumatic brain injury, including: Adams a2000, Rawlings Quantum, Riddell 360, Riddell Revolution, Riddell Revolution Speed, Riddell VSR4, Schutt Air Advantage, Schutt DNA Pro+, Xenith X1 and Xenith X2. The study found that football helmets on average reduced the risk of traumatic brain injury by only 20 percent compared to not wearing a helmet. Of the 10 helmet brands tested, the Adams a2000 provided the best protection against concussion and the Schutt Air Advantage the worst. Overall, the Riddell 360 provided the most protection against closed head injury and the Adams a2000 the least, despite rating the best against concussion. “Alarmingly, those that offered the least protection are among the most popular on the field,” said Conidi. “Biomechanics researchers have long understood that rotational forces, not linear forces, are responsible for serious brain damage including concussion, brain injury complications and brain bleeds. Yet generations of football and other sports participants have been under the assumption that their brains are protected by their investment in headwear protection.” The study found that football helmets provided protection from linear impacts, or those leading to bruising and skull fracture. Compared to tests using dummies with no helmets, leading football helmets reduced the risk of skull fracture by 60 to 70 percent and reduced the risk of focal brain tissue bruising by 70 to 80 percent. The study was supported by BRAINS, Inc., a research and development company based in San Antonio, Fla., focused on biomechanics of traumatic brain injury. To learn more about concussion, visit aan.com/concussion.

The American Academy of Neurology is the world's largest association of neurologists and neuroscience professionals, with 34,000 members. The AAN is dedicated to promoting the highest quality patient-centered neurologic care. A neurologist is a doctor with specialized training in diagnosing, treating and managing disorders of the brain and nervous system such as Alzheimer's disease, stroke, migraine, multiple sclerosis, concussion, Parkinson's disease and epilepsy.

For more information about the American Academy of Neurology, visit AAN.com or find us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedInand YouTube.

37. fish920

fish920 lurker Donator

When I played football I was taught to tackle with my shoulders head UP.

I love everything about football, but these guys don’t need to kill each other to make plays.

38. McMichael

It says right in that article that they reduce the risk by a percentage amount...the original post I quoted said they don't do anything at all.. nice that the article proved my point though

39. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

If you read the study in helmets above, or any study on concussion in collision sports, you'll see that the brain doesn't slam around in the skull, as strange as itn sounds. The brain rotates forward and backward violently,breaking nerve tissue. Helmets do little to prevent that.

Helmets do of course prevent other head injuries like fractured skulls, contusions, cuts etc. But they also cause a huge number of injuries,both to other players and to the wearer by giving overconfidence.

They look cool. They're visually synonymous with football. They're a great place for a team logo. But they just don't do what they were introduced to do.

As for the money aspect, the possibility that football players would/should earn less if the game was safer doesn't seem likely when you compare the enormous salaries that players in much safer sports like soccer, basketball, tennis etc are on. When it comes to entertainment value, we all like a big hit but ultimately touchdowns beat tackles.

lurking likes this.
  40. danstilldaman

danstilldaman Well-Known Member

That's why a posted it brother