Anyone Else Worried About The New Nfl Helmet Rule? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone Else Worried About The New Nfl Helmet Rule?

I'm thinking it's 2018 and helmet technology should be better ... although I base that on absolutely nothing.
The helmets could be made out of magical prancing pixie horse dust, and it still wouldn’t matter. A brain changing direction at high speed in a limited space has no where to go to avoid a collision with the skull wall. Advancements have been made, but any future improvements can only be minimal. The laws of physics dictate that it be so (see Newton’s 3rd law). The only caveat being a dramatic increase in the SIZE of the helmet walls, think “watermelons”....and that of course would never happen

My personal solution to the issue isn’t exactly a fix-all deal because I don’t think it’s possible to stop CTE in football, but having weight limits for players might help to start in the right direction. Like 275 for lineman, 240 for lbs etc.

I'm more worried about my favorite players getting brain damage, dying early, or potentially hurting themselves or their families.
Yeah that Jovan Belcher thing really brought it to light for me.

Where are on earth are you getting the "proof" from in the first sentence of your post? There is no way you actually believe that...
Some info i found
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
HOW WELL DO FOOTBALL HELMETS PROTECT PLAYERS FROM CONCUSSIONS?

PHILADELPHIA – A new study finds that football helmets currently used on the field may do little to protect against hits to the side of the head, or rotational force, an often dangerous source of brain injury and encephalopathy. The study released today will be presented at the American Academy of Neurology’s 66th Annual Meeting in Philadelphia, April 26 to May 3, 2014. “Protection against concussion and complications of brain injury is especially important for young players, including elementary and middle school, high school and college athletes, whose still-developing brains are more susceptible to the lasting effects of trauma,” said study co- author Frank Conidi, MD, DO, MS, director of the Florida Center for Headache and Sports Neurology and Assistant Clinical Professor of Neurology at Florida State University College of Medicine in Port Saint Lucie, Fla. Conidi is also the vice chair of the American Academy of Neurology’s Sports Neurology Section. For the study, researchers modified the standard drop test system, approved by the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment, that tests impacts and helmet safety. The researchers used a crash test dummy head and neck to simulate impact. Sensors were also placed in the dummy’s head to measure linear and rotational responses to repeated 12 mile-per-hour impacts. The scientists conducted 330 tests to measure how well 10 popular football helmet designs protected against traumatic brain injury, including: Adams a2000, Rawlings Quantum, Riddell 360, Riddell Revolution, Riddell Revolution Speed, Riddell VSR4, Schutt Air Advantage, Schutt DNA Pro+, Xenith X1 and Xenith X2. The study found that football helmets on average reduced the risk of traumatic brain injury by only 20 percent compared to not wearing a helmet. Of the 10 helmet brands tested, the Adams a2000 provided the best protection against concussion and the Schutt Air Advantage the worst. Overall, the Riddell 360 provided the most protection against closed head injury and the Adams a2000 the least, despite rating the best against concussion. “Alarmingly, those that offered the least protection are among the most popular on the field,” said Conidi. “Biomechanics researchers have long understood that rotational forces, not linear forces, are responsible for serious brain damage including concussion, brain injury complications and brain bleeds. Yet generations of football and other sports participants have been under the assumption that their brains are protected by their investment in headwear protection.” The study found that football helmets provided protection from linear impacts, or those leading to bruising and skull fracture. Compared to tests using dummies with no helmets, leading football helmets reduced the risk of skull fracture by 60 to 70 percent and reduced the risk of focal brain tissue bruising by 70 to 80 percent. The study was supported by BRAINS, Inc., a research and development company based in San Antonio, Fla., focused on biomechanics of traumatic brain injury. To learn more about concussion, visit aan.com/concussion.

The American Academy of Neurology is the world's largest association of neurologists and neuroscience professionals, with 34,000 members. The AAN is dedicated to promoting the highest quality patient-centered neurologic care. A neurologist is a doctor with specialized training in diagnosing, treating and managing disorders of the brain and nervous system such as Alzheimer's disease, stroke, migraine, multiple sclerosis, concussion, Parkinson's disease and epilepsy.

For more information about the American Academy of Neurology, visit AAN.com or find us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedInand YouTube.

When I played football I was taught to tackle with my shoulders head UP.

I love everything about football, but these guys don’t need to kill each other to make plays.

Some info i found
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
HOW WELL DO FOOTBALL HELMETS PROTECT PLAYERS FROM CONCUSSIONS?

PHILADELPHIA – A new study finds that football helmets currently used on the field may do little to protect against hits to the side of the head, or rotational force, an often dangerous source of brain injury and encephalopathy. The study released today will be presented at the American Academy of Neurology’s 66th Annual Meeting in Philadelphia, April 26 to May 3, 2014. “Protection against concussion and complications of brain injury is especially important for young players, including elementary and middle school, high school and college athletes, whose still-developing brains are more susceptible to the lasting effects of trauma,” said study co- author Frank Conidi, MD, DO, MS, director of the Florida Center for Headache and Sports Neurology and Assistant Clinical Professor of Neurology at Florida State University College of Medicine in Port Saint Lucie, Fla. Conidi is also the vice chair of the American Academy of Neurology’s Sports Neurology Section. For the study, researchers modified the standard drop test system, approved by the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment, that tests impacts and helmet safety. The researchers used a crash test dummy head and neck to simulate impact. Sensors were also placed in the dummy’s head to measure linear and rotational responses to repeated 12 mile-per-hour impacts. The scientists conducted 330 tests to measure how well 10 popular football helmet designs protected against traumatic brain injury, including: Adams a2000, Rawlings Quantum, Riddell 360, Riddell Revolution, Riddell Revolution Speed, Riddell VSR4, Schutt Air Advantage, Schutt DNA Pro+, Xenith X1 and Xenith X2. The study found that football helmets on average reduced the risk of traumatic brain injury by only 20 percent compared to not wearing a helmet. Of the 10 helmet brands tested, the Adams a2000 provided the best protection against concussion and the Schutt Air Advantage the worst. Overall, the Riddell 360 provided the most protection against closed head injury and the Adams a2000 the least, despite rating the best against concussion. “Alarmingly, those that offered the least protection are among the most popular on the field,” said Conidi. “Biomechanics researchers have long understood that rotational forces, not linear forces, are responsible for serious brain damage including concussion, brain injury complications and brain bleeds. Yet generations of football and other sports participants have been under the assumption that their brains are protected by their investment in headwear protection.” The study found that football helmets provided protection from linear impacts, or those leading to bruising and skull fracture. Compared to tests using dummies with no helmets, leading football helmets reduced the risk of skull fracture by 60 to 70 percent and reduced the risk of focal brain tissue bruising by 70 to 80 percent. The study was supported by BRAINS, Inc., a research and development company based in San Antonio, Fla., focused on biomechanics of traumatic brain injury. To learn more about concussion, visit aan.com/concussion.

The American Academy of Neurology is the world's largest association of neurologists and neuroscience professionals, with 34,000 members. The AAN is dedicated to promoting the highest quality patient-centered neurologic care. A neurologist is a doctor with specialized training in diagnosing, treating and managing disorders of the brain and nervous system such as Alzheimer's disease, stroke, migraine, multiple sclerosis, concussion, Parkinson's disease and epilepsy.

For more information about the American Academy of Neurology, visit AAN.com or find us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedInand YouTube.

It says right in that article that they reduce the risk by a percentage amount...the original post I quoted said they don't do anything at all.. nice that the article proved my point though

The helmets could be made out of magical prancing pixie horse dust, and it still wouldn’t matter. A brain changing direction at high speed in a limited space has no where to go to avoid a collision with the skull wall. Advancements have been made, but any future improvements can only be minimal. The laws of physics dictate that it be so (see Newton’s 3rd law). The only caveat being a dramatic increase in the SIZE of the helmet walls, think “watermelons”....and that of course would never happen

If you read the study in helmets above, or any study on concussion in collision sports, you'll see that the brain doesn't slam around in the skull, as strange as itn sounds. The brain rotates forward and backward violently,breaking nerve tissue. Helmets do little to prevent that.

Helmets do of course prevent other head injuries like fractured skulls, contusions, cuts etc. But they also cause a huge number of injuries,both to other players and to the wearer by giving overconfidence.

They look cool. They're visually synonymous with football. They're a great place for a team logo. But they just don't do what they were introduced to do.

As for the money aspect, the possibility that football players would/should earn less if the game was safer doesn't seem likely when you compare the enormous salaries that players in much safer sports like soccer, basketball, tennis etc are on. When it comes to entertainment value, we all like a big hit but ultimately touchdowns beat tackles.

It says right in that article that they reduce the risk by a percentage amount...the original post I quoted said they don't do anything at all.. nice that the article proved my point though
That's why a posted it brother

That's why a posted it brother

Thank you...still waiting on Fin thirteen to respond:

"The helmet has been proven not to protect against CTE or concussions"... lol I knew that one had to be made up without even doing 10 seconds of research

"The helmet has been proven not to protect against CTE or concussions"... lol I knew that one had to be made up without even doing 10 seconds of research
He did and his second argument is sound in comparison to multiple studies and he does a much better job explaining his initial statement.

He did and his second argument is sound in comparison to multiple studies and he does a much better job explaining his initial statement.

Thank you.

It's true that the study shows a 20% reduction in concussions among helmet wearers, but the study doesn't address how drastically the number of head to head or head to bone collisions would reduce without helmets.

So, the small benefit of wearing a helmet is massively eradicated by the much higher volume of head collisions when everyone wears one.

Long story short, remove helmets and science (plus common sense) says football injuries will fall and not rise.

I'm nit suggesting that's an easy pill for the average fan to swallow. But I think everyone on here knows that hard helmets were never part of the early football culture.

Read through real quick.

Simply looking down and using the helmet as a weapon increases the risk of self inflicted spinal injuries.

Keeping your eyes up you’re more likely to wrap up and drive through your target.

First instinct is to use your helmet as a weapon. Players need to be coached out of doing that. Penylyzing it will help with that.

However, it’s going to be impossible to accurately officiate it.

agreed, so many missed tackles from trying to "shoulder" tackle. This may help improve the Dolphins D.

Back
Top Bottom