Anyone know how fast RW is anyway? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone know how fast RW is anyway?

Michael bennett is actually a lot faster than ricky. You all have to see benett run his long yardage runs.

Its comparing apples to oranges. A guys 40yd dash speed in shorts doesnt translate directly to pads on a football field. I don't think Ricky is as fast as what some of you guys are saying but size/speed ratio I think he is the fastest. Michael Bennet, Portis, and Faulk probably are faster, but they wont knock your ass into tomorrow like ricky will.

Well for all I know, Ricky Williams is the most complete running back.. He's not the bulldozer that he was in Texas or New Orleans but now he's 20 pounds lighter, faster, quicker and not only can he run around you, he still has that bulldozer mentality whenever he needs it.. I'm so glad Ricky is with MIAMI.. Yes!!!

HOORAH:drinker:

I think Ricky is truly a case where timing a guy in a 40 yard dash shows nothing about his football speed...

I do know this, he's faster than Brian Urlacher, and that guy is wicked fast...

Ricky's speed when he gets 2 or 3 yards beyond the line is what I was really surprised by... I knew he was quick, but that burst, and the flat out a**-hauling he showed on that 63 yard run was amazing...

4.2 & 4.3 for RW isn't realistic.

But running without pads and with isn't the same thing, and running when you have 2-3 big guys chasing you instead of timing you isn't the same thing too.

Everybody said last year that Ricky wasn't fast and we were happy to have a "slow" Ricky. But it turned out to be a "fast" Ricky, so it was better than we ever imagined.

I would like to think that running in shorts is much less important then it would be running with full pads on and 11 guys chasing you down trying to put an impression in the turf of your body. Ricky may not be the fastest, but he sure requires more then one person to bring him down. Much unlike the smaller faster backs like Marshall and Edgerrin. So it goes to what you want for your offense. Do you want someone thats fast, but goes down easy or someone thats a tad slower but takes a truck to knock him down? Look at Bettis in Pittsburg. Same philosophy.

Running a sub 4.4 in the forty doesnt mean your fast! Whoever refered to that being track speed was absolutely correct! I remember when the Rocket was at ND and decided to run track.(They showed the clip on ESPN) He got out the gates like lightning, only to come in dead last, but hey, he was in the lead for the first forty yards or so! The Rocket is one of the fastest guys in the league though. Track speed(40 times) and football speed(full gear) are totally different! Just a note 4.4 is QUICK, but 19 seconds in the 200m is FAST!

Without the miliseconds, 19 seconds has been accomplished, I just didnt want to give miliseconds and be off, and then have somebody challenge me on it! So much for that thought!

If its such a big deal about pads on and off speed.. why dont they jus make the players run with the equipment on at the combines? just makes sense to me is all.. and btw Rw is fast enough to lead the league in rushing ,who cares what some clock says.

RW just has that overdrive gear some guys don't have. It's Ricky's speed when he passes the LOS that REALLY burns. Once he hits a hole, he's gone. Also, Ricky showed me something last year. It's not only about speed or power, it's patience. He showed lots of patience, allowing things to develop in front of him before rushing in there. Remember John Avery and his impatience. He had the speed to be really good, but no patience to let things develop. Ricky is a star, and I can't wait to see him in action again.

Originally posted by Dolphins2002
I think he is still 4.4 maybe maybe 4.3, 4.2 at the most, but his acceleration is great and that is what I think make hims out run the defenders.
Nowhere near 4.3 speed. It's his SIZE and SPEED (at that size) which are such a deadly combo. He's probably in the 4.45- 4.55 range. But he's nowhere near as fast as Sanders, Vick, Galloway, etc (all sub 4.4 speed).

I think what makes Ricky appear super fast is that, like many have stated, he hits the hole at top speed. He also comes out of his cuts at top speed, so there are very few wasted steps during a run.

I do think that the fact that he hits players harder than anyone I've ever seen run makes players hesitate a little, so he can appear faster.

Basically he's the best football player in the league.:D

Back
Top Bottom