Anyone Still Doubt That Defense Wins Playoff Football | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone Still Doubt That Defense Wins Playoff Football

MD

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
There was a thread a couple of weeks ago that debated the importance of a passing offense as a necessity and that defense is not a dominant factor in winning. Well.........the #1 defense just took down the #2 offense. In fact all 4 games this weekend there was outstanding defense played by each winning team.

Not only do the Jets go to the AFC Championship with the #1 defense, the have the #1 running game and #31 passing game.

This hire that the Dolphins make for the DC is critical and the FA and draft has got to focus on building a defense.

YEP! No more stretches in the draft! No more B-List Free Agents! We need a top notch DC! The Jets are getting better weekly and the Pats are loaded with high picks. We need a GREAT off season in all 3 phases. Development, Draft and Free Agency, the AFC East is going to be tough in 2010!

There was a thread a couple of weeks ago that debated the importance of a passing offense as a necessity and that defense is not a dominant factor in winning. Well.........the #1 defense just took down the #2 offense. In fact all 4 games this weekend there was outstanding defense played by each winning team.

Not only do the Jets go to the AFC Championship with the #1 defense, the have the #1 running game and #31 passing game.

This hire that the Dolphins make for the DC is critical and the FA and draft has got to focus on building a defense.
That is why I laugh at people who want Boldin. Defense and run offense is the key to winning the SB.

so I suppose we should give the jets the lombardi.

a kicker misses three field goals. a rookie has one big run.

the vikes, saints, colts... all pass like no tomorrow. my money is on any of the three of them, over the jets.

obviously we need to shore up some defensive issues. I'll hesitate to change my stance on a big time WR.

the jets #31 passing game will be the reason they loose. mark it down.

the vikes, saints, colts... all pass like no tomorrow. my money is on any of the three of them, over the jets.

obviously we need to shore up some defensive issues. I'll hesitate to change my stance on a big time WR.

We need both a big receiver and big time LB's!!! Play makers is what we need and we need them on both sides of the ball! Someone who just takes over a game!

Yes having a great defense will keep you in most games. It also doesn't hurt when the opposing team's kicker has a chicken bone in his throat making him miss two short kicks, while his teammates play like morons committing penalty after penalty.

It's as easy as this: How many SB winners had great offense w/ horrid defense VS How many SB winners had bad offenses with excellent defenses?

Last I checked, the Saints, Colts and Vikes had pretty good offenses too with great OLs, QBs, and WR1s drafted early!!!

Reggie Wayne Round 1
Sidney Rice Early Round 2
Percy Harvin Round 1
Robert Meachem Round 1
Devery Henderson Round 1 or 2 (pretty sure)
Reggie Bush 2nd Overall Pick (more receiver than running back)
Not to mention; Braylon Edwards 3rd Overall Pick

Don't get me wrong, we need defensive help big time and yes, we want a dominant defense but you can't win 17-14 every week in this league. You gotta be able to score serious points consistently.

So we shouldn't ignore great WR talent (like Dez Bryant) if available for anything less than Rolando McClain. If McClain is gone, we gotta consider Dez and Spiller b/c we need fire power as much as D.

It's as easy as this: How many SB winners had great offense w/ horrid defense VS How many SB winners had bad offenses with excellent defenses?

to be clear are you saying if we get a #1 WR, that our defense suddenly becomes so neglected it becomes horrid.

it's ONE free agent, or ONE draft pick.

everything else can go to defense as far as I am concerned. I'm asking to fill one specific offensive need.

Some defensive issues? # 1 in plays over 40 yards given up? That is pretty glaring. Also, take a look at the Saints, Colts and Vikings and how their defense performed. They overwhelmed their opponent.

Guys like Brees, Manning and Favre are far and few between. He have a QB that is a game manager. He will never be elite like these guys but he will be good. We need a strong defense and solid running game to go with a proficient passing game and we can win.

90% of America thought the Chargers would win. Wasn't even close. The Jets defense had the Chargers frustrated and out of sync all day. I would not be surprised if they beat the Colts next week.

Last I checked, the Saints, Colts and Vikes had pretty good offenses too with great OLs, QBs, and WR1s drafted early!!!

Reggie Wayne Round 1
Percy Harvin Round 1
Robert Meachem Round 1

Don't get me wrong, we need defensive help big time and yes, we want a dominant defense but you can't win 17-14 every week in this league. You gotta be able to score serious points consistently.

So we shouldn't ignore great WR talent (like Dez Bryant) if available for anything less than Rolando McClain. If McClain is gone, we gotta consider Dez and Spiller b/c we need fire power as much as D.
All 3 teams have top 10 defenses lol

Reggie Wayne Round 1
Robert Meachem Round 1

If you goto pro-football-reference.com you can use the draft link to find out when Henderson was selected. Ironically I was pulling for us to sign him in FA last year.

since 1990 the winning superbowl team has scored 24 points or more 15 times. 29 or more 12 times.

loosing teams have scored 14 pts ore less 5 times.

I'd say you need be able to put up some points. I think a great offense with an above average defense will win.

Seems to me like everyone would be happy if we used one draft pick, or a lot of money, on a WR. And spent the rest of the draft and money on defensive players.

Works for me.

Back
Top Bottom