Anyone Still Doubt That Defense Wins Playoff Football | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone Still Doubt That Defense Wins Playoff Football

football is fixed, it has to be for that team to win with no offense at all

Some defensive issues? # 1 in plays over 40 yards given up? That is pretty glaring. Also, take a look at the Saints, Colts and Vikings and how their defense performed. They overwhelmed their opponent.

Guys like Brees, Manning and Favre are far and few between. He have a QB that is a game manager. He will never be elite like these guys but he will be good. We need a strong defense and solid running game to go with a proficient passing game and we can win.

90% of America thought the Chargers would win. Wasn't even close. The Jets defense had the Chargers frustrated and out of sync all day. I would not be surprised if they beat the Colts next week.

a 3 pt game wasn't even close when a kicker left 9 pts off the board.

wasn't even close is a sarcastic comment.... right?

I'lll take the colts next week, whats the wager?

2006 and 2001 are the only two superbowls I remember the winner winning because of a dominant defense.

steelers and ravens both gave up ten points repsectively.

a 3 pt game wasn't even close when a kicker left 9 pts off the board.

wasn't even close is a sarcastic comment.... right?

I'lll take the colts next week, whats the wager?

If you have watched the Chargers this season they are a well oiled proficient offense that won 11 straight and was many folks favorite to win the Super Bowl. The reference not even close is not about the score. It's about the way the Jets smacked SD in the mouth and frustrated them on their home field. The Jets defense took that game over in the 3rd quarter and clamped down on SD.

The Jets have a chip on their shoulder after so many claimed they did not deserve to be in the play offs because the Colts laid down. That is going to be a huge chip for the Colts to knock off.

Anyone else notice with Rivers it is either Hero or Zero there is just no happy medium?!?!

the nfl is letting the jets win, they got a new stadium and cant sell the seat rights

There was a thread a couple of weeks ago that debated the importance of a passing offense as a necessity and that defense is not a dominant factor in winning. Well.........the #1 defense just took down the #2 offense. In fact all 4 games this weekend there was outstanding defense played by each winning team.

Not only do the Jets go to the AFC Championship with the #1 defense, the have the #1 running game and #31 passing game.

This hire that the Dolphins make for the DC is critical and the FA and draft has got to focus on building a defense.
You are correct, stop the run, play tough defense and run the football and you will have a chance to win the super bowl. That is why I think our offense only needs a stud TE and a veteran WR. We need players at the LBer position and we need to get younger at the OLBer position. The post a few weeks ago failed to mention the winner of the last 10 super bowls. Looking at that list should have been enough to end the debate, but some folks get fooled by a high scoring offense duriing the regular season and think thats the way to go. Lets take a look at the super bowl champions since 2000, starting from last yr and working our way down.

Pitt-Defense, run the ball
NYG-Defense that stop the highest scoring team in league history...footnote PATS havent won a superbowl after they abandoned the run and went with the high powered scoring offense.
Indy-only reason they won that yr was Defense, Dungy finally got a D that was able to get Manning his ring
Pitt-see above formula still working from previous yrs,this time by a rookie QB
Pats-Defense, Belicheat, running the football
Pats-Defense,Belicheat running the football after they signed the Bengals rb (cant think of his name)
Tampa Bay-Defense
Pats-defense, stopped the greatest show on turf
Ravens-Defense and trent dilfer was QB enough said.....
Rams-Greatest show on turf with a good defense

The Rams are the only team in ten yrs that you can actually say had a high powered offense and tried...did....outscore its competition.

If the colts D comes to play like it did against Balt they should get to the Super Bowl if they take this Jet team lightly look out. that d is feirce and they can run the football on anyone.

Give me a great D with a great running game any day of the week and I will be patient while we build that here.

You are correct, stop the run, play tough defense and run the football and you will have a chance to win the super bowl. That is why I think our offense only needs a stud TE and a veteran WR. We need players at the LBer position and we need to get younger at the OLBer position. The post a few weeks ago failed to mention the winner of the last 10 super bowls. Looking at that list should have been enough to end the debate, but some folks get fooled by a high scoring offense duriing the regular season and think thats the way to go. Lets take a look at the super bowl champions since 2000, starting from last yr and working our way down.

NYG-Defense that stop the highest scoring team in league history...footnote PATS havent won a superbowl after they abandoned the run and went with the high powered scoring offense.
Indy-only reason they won that yr was Defense, Dungy finally got a D that was able to get Manning his ring
Pats-Defense,Belicheat running the football after they signed the Bengals reget(cant think of his name)
Tampa Bay-Defense

The Rams are the only team in ten yrs that you can actually say had a high powered offense and tried...did....outscore its competition.

If the colts D comes to play like it did against Balt they should get to the Super Bowl if they take this Jet team lightly look out. that d is feirce and they can run the football on anyone.

Give me a great D with a great running game any day of the week and I will be patient while we build that here.

pitts defense gave up 23 pts. but did have one of the luckiest plays on that 100 yard int return I have ever seen.

indys offense put up 29 pts the year they won. thats a good formula for success.

tampa bay scored 48 pts, I don't know how many came from the defense, but even if its half thats still 24 pts.

I'd say the baltimore team is teh only team that you list that won the superbowl because of their defense.

nothing opens up a running game like the ability a big time WR brings to the table for an offense. nothing helps a defense like a run game that is successful with the help of a WR threat.

2006 and 2001 are the only two superbowls I remember the winner winning because of a dominant defense.

steelers and ravens both gave up ten points repsectively.
I guess you dont remember those Pats teams that did it with Defense, they have not won a super bowl since. Belicheat became a genius because of those Super Bowls and it wasnt because they scored 30 pts. How about Tampa Bay? These teams core is Defense, I'm not saying the offense is not going to score pts, Im saying the D is more important and with us avg 22 pts a game this yr is enough to get the job done if we had a top 5 D.

There was a thread a couple of weeks ago that debated the importance of a passing offense as a necessity and that defense is not a dominant factor in winning. Well.........the #1 defense just took down the #2 offense. In fact all 4 games this weekend there was outstanding defense played by each winning team.

Not only do the Jets go to the AFC Championship with the #1 defense, the have the #1 running game and #31 passing game.

This hire that the Dolphins make for the DC is critical and the FA and draft has got to focus on building a defense.

three missed field goals and 2 turnovers were the difference....the chargers had a large advantage in yards gained.....the SINGLE most important position on the field is QUARTERBACK....which means PASSING game....poor quarterbacks do not win super bowls period. IF ALL other phases of a team are outstanding and complete...SOMETIMES....the quarterback position can be overcome...but ONLY if he doesnt turn the ball over....we can build defense all we want....we wont win until we have elite quarterback play....meaning at least one of the top 8 quarterbacks in the game

I guess you dont remember those Pats teams that did it with Defense, they have not won a super bowl since. Belicheat became a genius because of those Super Bowls and it wasnt because they scored 30 pts. How about Tampa Bay? These teams core is Defense, I'm not saying the offense is not going to score pts, Im saying the D is more important and with us avg 22 pts a game this yr is enough to get the job done if we had a top 5 D.

there offense averaged I believe 26 pts a game in there superbowls wins with the great d you are speaking of.

giving up 21, 29 and 17.

tampa bay scored 48.

I agree with your post of us though. 22 pts was enough for us to win most of our games.

how many pts did the tampa bay defense score in 2003?

Pats-Defense,Belicheat running the football after they signed the Bengals rb (cant think of his name)
Tampa Bay-Defense

this post is like saying everyteam that actually plays the game HAS a defense...no ****!....indy didnt win because of defense....pats teams were a BALL CONTROL PASSING TEAM that kept their defense off the field....ALL THREE TEAMS...there were NOT dominate defensive teams....they were MORE dominant offensively because of an efficient passing attack....they followed this model and stole wes welker from us and built their offense around him the past couple of years...and went 16-0 with it...play that superbowl 10 times they win it 8 and even dolphins fans know it. pittsburgh evolved into an offensive team under tomlin...they dont run the ball like they did under cowher....your post is inaccurate and biased by ur opinion

Anyone else notice with Rivers it is either Hero or Zero there is just no happy medium?!?!

Man is that guy overrated or what. He has such an awkward throwing motion, that sidearm pass he likes to throw at times that makes me cringe each time he does it. He hasn't done **** in the playoffs, same with Tomlinson. That team needs a new identity on offense.

I don't know what the heck they're missing though, maybe they need to fix their offensive line for their running backs can have a tiny hole to run through. But it seems like Tomlinson is running into his own teammates, they aren't opening anything for him.

Back
Top Bottom