Anyone think we should just leave WR free agency alone and DRAFT our new WR's? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone think we should just leave WR free agency alone and DRAFT our new WR's?

With picks #1/#2 going to WR what combo would you like to see added to our WR group?

• Total voters

RockyMtnPhinfan

Active Roster
Reaction score
With all of the talk about Wallace and Jennings and how much they will cost, can't some people agree that maybe we should just invest in the future and go with two high draftees this year, R. Matthews, Bess and Hartline for our WR corps?
Some points supporting this i believe are:
-These draftees would be with us for years to come. This keeps us young and gives Tannehill a group to grow with.

-Wallace i have read will give up in games if he doesn't see the ball early. This can be devisive in the locker room, and we need our Locker room to gel. why take the risk and spend so much money?

-Jennings would be a good fit but he will cost around the same money as Wallace and he isn't young- is he breaking down a little? Can he be our go to guy for 5 years?

-we could see huge savings by going through the draft instead of free agency possibly allowing us to retain present players at reasonable contracts.

I'm adding a Poll to this...........

In addition to Bess/Hartline/R. Matthews which draft eligible WR combo would you like to see us draft and add to the group we already have here in Miami?? The combinations are endless but let's assume we go WR with picks #1 and #2.

Add your own combo's in your post? Give us your thoughts on why you like ________ & ________ as a tandem draft.

It takes two, sometimes three years for a WR to fully make his mark in the NFL. If we fail to get one in free agency we put ourselves 2 years back at least. Ireland won't be around if that happens and you're still stunting the growth of Tannehill by not getting him a legit target.

It takes two, sometimes three years for a WR to fully make his mark in the NFL. If we fail to get one in free agency we put ourselves 2 years back at least. Ireland won't be around if that happens and you're still stunting the growth of Tannehill by not getting him a legit target.

This thought is understandable and reasonable. I just don't think Jennings OR Wallace is going to come here and all of a sudden make WR a strength of ours. This is just my view of course. IMO big money contract almost always equals low output, and never reaching expectations.
Anyways, play along and make a vote! It's only theoretical.
I think Allen and Hopkins would be a killer one two combo.
Mike Wallace went for 6TD and 756 yards his rookie year- so not every WR takes 2-3 years to get off the ground.

This isn't an argument i am trying to support....it's just an "out of left field" scenario that i consider interesting.
Hopkins = exciting jumper, flashy player with decent height and balls skills
Allen = nice route runner, good hands with good height and weight

Jennings and/or Wallace don't just improve the WR corps they also improve the running game. Additionally, teams have to spend about 110 million this year as required by the new CBA. Finally, you don't just sig a WR and determine problem solved. You sign a guy like Jennings then draft Woods, Allen, Bailey or Williams to grow in the system.

Mike Wallace went for 6TD and 756 yards his rookie year- so not every WR takes 2-3 years to get off the ground.
Compared to the 60 receptions, 1257 yards and 10 TDs he had his second year he was just getting off the ground as a rookie and for every Mike Wallace, Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald that has a decent rookie season there are 10 other WRs that don't. These guys are the exception not the norm.

Jennings already knows the offense and knows Philbin, it would be a virtually seamless transition for him. It would be potentially the same impact Irvin Fryar made when he was signed as a free agent in Miami away from the Patriots.

I understand what your trying to say but what if both recievers you take end up being bust that easily sets this team back I say we play it safe sign one of the big names

I still think the best answer is to sign Jennings and draft patterson. I DO NOT want Mike Wallace for all that money.

We desperately need a deep threat WR on this team. If you're not gong to sign Wallace, then I think you need to consider Markus Wheaton from Oregon State as one of your two WR draft picks. He's lightning fast. Even if we sign Wallace (or Jennings for that matter), I think the Phins will be drafting two roookie WR's. If we sign Wallace, I would expect Miami to consider Quinton Patton and Stedman Bailey, who I've read are similar to Donald Driver and Randall Cobb, respectively. I like Aaron Dobson. He's a little bigger with great leaping ability and catches the ball at its highest point with his hands...a great redzone threat.

We desperately need a deep threat WR on this team. If you're not gong to sign Wallace, then I think you need to consider Markus Wheaton from Oregon State as one of your two WR draft picks. He's lightning fast. Even if we sign Wallace (or Jennings for that matter), I think the Phins will be drafting two roookie WR's. If we sign Wallace, I would expect Miami to consider Quinton Patton and Stedman Bailey, who I've read are similar to Donald Driver and Randall Cobb, respectively. I like Aaron Dobson. He's a little bigger with great leaping ability and catches the ball at its highest point with his hands...a great redzone threat.

I wanted to put Wheaton and a couple of others in there, but i wanted to keep it to only a few options! Dobson/Wheaton are intriguing for sure.

And why can't HAartline be that Vet that people here at Finheaven want us to have so badly? To teach, not necessarily to be the deep threat or YAC threat......

It would be great for Jennings to come here and hopefully speed up the learning curve of the young wr's we have and draft this year.

I like the options this year. I'm okay with any combination of the available players: Wallace, Jennings, Bowe, Hartline, Patterson, Allen, Hopkins, Austin, Williams... If we get any two of these players I would be happy. my ideal situation would be Wallace and Patterson so youre set for 5 years.

Sign Wallace or Jennings,
Let Hartline go,
Draft Patton & Bailey

Back
Top Bottom