anyone want to paint a LEGITIMATE positive from this game? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

anyone want to paint a LEGITIMATE positive from this game?

Jordan looked good.... Shelby played great .... The play calling I think was pretty good. Special teams looked good. Gillislee is definitely the second best RB on this team. He played much better then Thomas and gray. I think there were a few positives to come from the game but it could have been better. OH and Martin held his own. Didn't give up a sack

just how smart are these coachs letting jake long go when we have nothing to answer for him just like jeff do some good f/a in the off season and then leave the team without a left tackle how stupid jeff can you bee the coach sure don"t have there act togeather wasting time out yes i know its only preseason but it dont seam to change when the real games count and they better start teaching how to tackle or we will be another 7&8 team

Wait a second. Lets not make it sound like jake long was johnathan Ogden his past couple of years. There were several games where he also got abused and looked like crap! Some may say its due to injury but he's been injured almost just as long as he was here! It's not like he was playing at a pro bowl level and we let him go. He was playing mediocre at best

Our d line is gonna be sick. If Jordan gets a nasty hit on Brady and takes him out of the game that draft pick trade will all be worth it! We definitely need a back up plan to Martin. No need to panic.....yet

Not sure why a bunch of Debbie Downers.
This was the 1st Pre season game. An extra Pre season game at that that counts for diddly. BUT lets call a spade a spade.
Our O-line runing blocking is not to shabby. Miller had possitive yardage every time he touched the rock. Even on that fumble he had a huge hole that would have been at least a 10 yard game.

The LT spot is not that concerning but we should keep an eye on it.
The tackling was poor but it will be for every team in the NFL as it has been 2 weeks into camp and players are only allowed to do 1/2 the contaqct as they use to in the past. This is what the players union wanted and tackling is always poor up until about week two. Dallas got a lot of yardage running on our 1st defesne BUT that was to the right to Shelby filling in for Vernon and Odrick. Not that worried there.

Over all I'm not all that worried. the game was just a glorified scrimmage. What concerned me was the lack ov orginazation. Guys running on the field late and not knowing they should be on the field. Thats pop warner.

that will be fixed.

I thought miller looked good. Devlin is fast and has a cannon. Matt Moore looked pretty good too. Our receivers need to help out our qb's though. Diggin the uni's...fin's up!

not a lot of positives to take from that game. we turned the ball over twice and the Cowboys made us pay. in the end, that's what the game came down to as far as the score is concerned. individually, some bright spots, some bad ones. just a usual pre-season game in my book

There are plenty of legitimate positives.

1. Jonas Gray had a heck of a game. He averaged 5.9 yards per carry on 7 carries and pitched in an extra 4 catches for 35 yards. Notice all the work he got in passing packages, blocking and catching. That's not a coincidence. Those are Daniel Thomas' traditional packages. We may finally see an end to Daniel Thomas' three and a half yard reign of terror.

Was Jonas Gray's 5.9 ypc really that impressive? If you take away the long run where he ran around the edge and met no resistance, he had 6 carries for 12 yards.

We are one game closer to getting rid of Ireland!

A lot of people putting lipstick on a pig here. Yes, there were a few micro-instances of positivity. They, along with a load of other more spurious examples, have been listed over and over here.

But that was absolute dross, from top to bottom. I fully subscribe to the opinion that its only the first of a series of meaningless games, but that doesn't mean it wasn't awful football.

To have heard ad nauseum about our new obsession with takeaways and ball security and then to watch us fumble, juggle, wobbly snap and generally treat with abandon the football... It makes me wonder what was the point of all this emphasis. Or more importantly, how effective a strategy was it.

Both lines were pretty awful. Our pass rush had some good moments and Jordan's burst off the snap makes your mouth water. Our run D was rubbish and our tackling was crap. Sure, that happens in preseason, but it didn't happen to the Cowboys as much as it did us. Outside of Miller, Thomas still looks to be our best running back (though we didn't see Thigpen). That's not a great claim. Gillislee looked every bit the journeyman I think he is. Grey is Ok for punching it in, but he's got no burst or wiggle.

Devlin was probably the best of the QBs. That was a rubbish start by Tannehill. He's the guy who has to set the tone and tempo, who settles everyone else into the game. He looked every bit as skittery as the team did from top to bottom. Devlin at least looked composed and self assured.

Our LB corps looks poor outside of a few starters. They all looked lost, ESP defending the run.

Again, I know it means little, but is it too much to ask for us to come out of the blocks with something resembling form and confidence? We can't have been well prepared and we certainly didn't execute. All of that needs to change. We can't keep being the ugly team that hangs in and just won't go away. At some point we need an identity predicated on ability, composure and a strategy to fit our personnel. If we have it, they sure kept it well under wraps last night.

To honour the thread, I'll say the positives were Jordan, Devlin, Egnew and Bumphis personnel-wise. Blocking from RBs, TEs and WRs was generally good. The unis looked great. That's all I can come up with. The rest was dross. Fully excusable, legitimisable dross. But still dross.

Something to keep in mind. The HOF game always looks terrible. Preseason games are choppy and poorly played in general, but the HOF game is almost always a level below that (already low) standard.

Also, the Cowboys now have two of the best coordinators in the game. When I was hoping to land Harbaugh (way back when), part of it was because I wanted Bill Callahan as our OC, and Montee Kiffin is about as good as it gets at DC. Moreover, Kiffin's D doesn't have the steep learning curve that some D's do.

Something to keep in mind. The HOF game always looks terrible. Preseason games are choppy and poorly played in general, but the HOF game is almost always a level below that (already low) standard.

Also, the Cowboys now have two of the best coordinators in the game. When I was hoping to land Harbaugh (way back when), part of it was because I wanted Bill Callahan as our OC, and Montee Kiffin is about as good as it gets at DC. Moreover, Kiffin's D doesn't have the steep learning curve that some D's do.

Hang on. The Cowboys are in the process of switching to the 3-4 after eons at 4-3. They still managed to do a pretty good number on our oline. Just because it isn't complex doesn't mean what the Cowboys achieved in their front 7 wasn't laudable. We have no such excuse.

Hang on. The Cowboys are in the process of switching to the 3-4 after eons at 4-3. They still managed to do a pretty good number on our oline. Just because it isn't complex doesn't mean what the Cowboys achieved in their front 7 wasn't laudable. We have no such excuse.

I don't make much of the transition. I do think the basic scheme allows defenders to play faster sooner. Our transition to 4-3 last year went off without a hitch. We excelled in the same areas and struggled in the same areas (the primary struggle being that we lacked a pass rusher opposite Wake - just changed from SOLB to DE). I'm not stoked on our performance last night, but I didn't see anything (in the game) that makes me think we're in trouble. CK noted that Martin gave up one pressure in (I believe) six opportunities. While I agree that said ratio just won't do (especially against marginal competition), it's a small sample size. Now, I have concerns about Martin anyway, but nothing in the game made me rethink my outlook for this season.

These preseason games are for evaluating individual players at the bottom of the roster not for evaluating whole teams. Evaluate whole teams based on a Hall of Fame game at your own risk.

Back
Top Bottom