AP: Dolphins want more offense under new coordinator | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AP: Dolphins want more offense under new coordinator

gafin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
DAVIE, Fla. (AP) — The Miami Dolphins' fourth training camp practice had just ended Tuesday, and new offensive coordinator Bill Lazor stepped before a media throng to address the state of the offense, his voice hoarse from hollering.

He hadn't been shouting a bunch of compliments.

"A wise coach told me once, there's no bad as long as you learn from it," Lazor said. "That's where we are."

Lazor was hired to upgrade an offense that kept Miami out of the playoffs last year, and while players rave about the system he has installed, there is much work yet to be done. A search remains ongoing for starters at three offensive line positions, and it's unclear how quickly quarterback Ryan Tannehill and the rest of the unit can become comfortable with the new playbook.

Lazor has added more motion, shifts and formations. He wants to be more wide-open while deploying players in multiple positions more often. Most of all, he wants the offense operating at a faster tempo.

A former Cornell quarterback, Lazor has coached under Chip Kelly, Dan Reeves, Joe Gibbs and Mike Holmgren. He describes himself as a difference-maker, which is what Philbin needs after going 15-17 in his first two seasons.

"That's not to point the spotlight on me," Lazor said. "It's more to put the responsibility on me. I'm here to do positive things, provide leadership and help with the expertise.I choose to walk into a job and say, 'This is what we're going to make the situation.'"

The buzz about Lazor is such that news photographers and cameramen are restricted to tight shots at practice, an attempt to keep the full scope of the new offense under wraps.

I like that he seems to be very confident. Maybe some of that will spill over onto the offense as a whole.

http://pro32.ap.org/article/dolphins-want-more-offense-under-new-coordinator

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely saying the good things, along with Benton, and they seem to be practicing it as well. Mere weeks away from the test.

I know I am a minority, but I still think it is a mistake taking RT out of an offense he knew inside and out. Plus, they are supposedly asking him to run a more uptempo offense…in a system he is not as familiar with? I think it is the wrong direction.

I know I am a minority, but I still think it is a mistake taking RT out of an offense he knew inside and out. Plus, they are supposedly asking him to run a more uptempo offense…in a system he is not as familiar with? I think it is the wrong direction.
I see your point but I think it has to be done, even if there is a learning curve. We were going nowhwere with what we were doing.

Last year was a dumpster fire so I think a change would be necessary either way.

I really hope you guys are right and the Fins can be above average to special on offense. I just am not sure if it was a wise move.

You would think they want more, because I doubt we can get any less than last year, especially in the last 2 games when the playoffs were on the line.

The direction of last year's O was South. North is the better direction to follow.

Maybe we can bring Sherman back to teach Lazor the in's and out's of Sherman's offense? Imagine the results. C'mon dude........... Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

In fairness to Lazor/Hickey...they seem to have devoted to the new system to a good extent. Can't say I'm 100% comfortable with the O-line overhaul as yet, but they're certainly putting the system in place with confidence. Who knows how it will turn out, but I think it's fair to expect "more" offense

By all means, Lets keep the same system and give Bill and Rex 2 weeks off every yr?

There IMO is more pressure for Eli to pick up a new scheme than Ryan. Don't even get me started about the 'goal' where Eli is expected to complete 70% of his passes.

The buzz about Lazor is such that news photographers and cameramen are restricted to tight shots at practice, an attempt to keep the full scope of the new offense under wraps.

...almost shula'esque

If Ryan Tannehill can pick up the West Coast Offense easily, than he should be fine picking up a new offense. The wrong decision is to make a decision based purely on familiarity (IE doing what many people feared we'd do by promoting Ken O'Keefe to OC). And let's remember, even if the offenses are completely different, Lazor does have a WCO background so basic principles should be the same.

Hayden - You have more passion for the Dolphins than anyone. However, can't you see that Sherman was stifling Tannehill's development with the lack of creativity? Tannehill is highly intelligent (it's one of his best qualities), he's a lot smarter than most NFL QBs. Therefore he has the capacity to learn a much more sophisticated system than Go, Go Go.
I understand what you are saying and there is clearly some risk, but I'm pretty confident that Ryan can take it in his stride. Lazor should be good for Tannehill's development.
BTW - It is interesting to note that many players have remarked that Tannehill is visibly more assertive in his leadership (and this should not surprise). If he was struggling to learn the new system, I doubt that his leadership would have blossomed.

Back
Top Bottom