AP: Saban to pass Belichick in '06 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AP: Saban to pass Belichick in '06

Boik14 said:
Saban and BB's pops go back over 20 years. Saban learned BB's defense and then tweaked it with his own wrinkles so that it basically equates to Bear Bryants defense where you learn a technique more then a position...versitility is key

I didn't know that...awesome.

jlfin said:
Their run is impressive, but I wouldn't call it a dynasty. Squeaking out last second FG's against the Rams (average defense), an upstart Panthers team and an overrated Eagles team does not a dynasty make.
I'm from a generation that witnessed true dominance from the 72-73 Dolphins, the Steelers of the mid to late 70's, the 49'ers of the 80's and the Cowboys of the 90's.

Except for our first Super Bowl I would say the real championship games in 2003 and 2004 were the AFC playoffs. In case you have not noticed the NFC has sucked so far this decade. Playing Tenn. and the Colts in 2003 and the Colts (the year Manning set his record) and laying 42 on Pittsburghs defense at home were far more representative of the teams strength. Battling an AFC schedule for 17 weeks only playing 4 lowly NFC teams and then sweeping your divisional playoffs is true dominance. I think after that looking across the field at Carolina or Philly the Patriot players didn't quite have that "edge". The Super Bowl was anti-climatic.As a fan i never once felt threatened like they would lose those games. "Hat and T-Shirt games" ,man. No sweat. I sweated bullets during every second of both years playoff games. It was a blast. Wether you call it a dynasty or not is unimportant.But, please, save the 3 point squeeker talk about two games in a 2 year span where the Patriots went 34-4 and won two World Championships. That my friend is true dominance.And neither you or I know whats next.No matter how many numerous times (or over how many numerous years) you have been predicting they will take a step back.

Superself said:
AP reports the truth is that Miami Dolphins HC Nick Saban, who learned NFL defenses under HC Bill Belichick

:confused: :shakeno:
I didn't know Saban learned NFL defenses from Belichick.
Is this really true?

Come on Phin fans!!!

Saban was Belichick's DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR in Cleveland!! You guys gotta know this stuff!! :lol:

Colorado Dolfan said:
That's the fact. Saban learned from one of the best (if not the best) defensive mind in the league...:wink:

Assistant coach for the Cleveland Browns 1991-1994... Where Belichick was head coach from 1991-1995

That's not the way BB tells the story...he says he learned Saban's defensive schemes, not the other way around...but it's all semantics until we start winning on a regular basis....

NE Matt said:
Except for our first Super Bowl I would say the real championship games in 2003 and 2004 were the AFC playoffs. In case you have not noticed the NFC has sucked so far this decade. Playing Tenn. and the Colts in 2003 and the Colts (the year Manning set his record) and laying 42 on Pittsburghs defense at home were far more representative of the teams strength. Battling an AFC schedule for 17 weeks only playing 4 lowly NFC teams and then sweeping your divisional playoffs is true dominance. I think after that looking across the field at Carolina or Philly the Patriot players didn't quite have that "edge". The Super Bowl was anti-climatic.As a fan i never once felt threatened like they would lose those games. "Hat and T-Shirt games" ,man. No sweat. I sweated bullets during every second of both years playoff games. It was a blast. Wether you call it a dynasty or not is unimportant.But, please, save the 3 point squeeker talk about two games in a 2 year span where the Patriots went 34-4 and won two World Championships. That my friend is true dominance.And neither you or I know whats next.No matter how many numerous times (or over how many numerous years) you have been predicting they will take a step back.

I also don't subscribe to the "squeaker" theory...just take a look at the 32-2 span we had during the 70's...at any rate, the difference is that they won the games and dynasty is pretty close to a good description...

As to the Fins....our time is coming....unfortunately, as good as BB and NS are, they aren't Shula level coaches....

LarryFinFan said:
That's not the way BB tells the story...he says he learned Saban's defensive schemes, not the other way around...but it's all semantics until we start winning on a regular basis....

Yep. http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_21_229/ai_n13776308

Belichick has said repeatedly he has learned more from Saban than Saban has learned from him. I'm not sure I'm buying it, but it's quite a statement from a man who is not given to embellishment. And what's salient about the comment is this: Calling Saban a Belichick disciple is selling him short.

Colorado Dolfan said:
That's the fact. Saban learned from one of the best (if not the best) defensive mind in the league...:wink:

Assistant coach for the Cleveland Browns 1991-1994... Where Belichick was head coach from 1991-1995

i don't think that saban wants to be associated with bellychick for the cleveland stint. it was in cleveland that bellychick was run out of town for ruining the browns franchise. saban is a defensive coach, and if anything bellychick learned from him. the only brilliant thing that bellychick did was hire charlie weis to run his offense, because without weis, bellychick "the mastermind" has a losing record in the NFL.

aerokev said:
i don't think that saban wants to be associated with bellychick for the cleveland stint. it was in cleveland that bellychick was run out of town for ruining the browns franchise. saban is a defensive coach, and if anything bellychick learned from him. the only brilliant thing that bellychick did was hire charlie weis to run his offense, because without weis, bellychick "the mastermind" has a losing record in the NFL.

why not??? he produced the number one defense in the league in just three years...kinna like what he's doing here......

cnc66 said:
why not??? he produced the number one defense in the league in just three years...kinna like what he's doing here......

i just don't think that bellychick taught saban anything. if anything bellychick learned from saban when it comes to defense and especially the secondary. the smartest thing that bellychick did was hire charlie weis as offensive coordinator, because without weis running things he has a losing record.

Please remember, Nick and Bill have been VERY close friends for many years starting with Nicks tenure at Navy with Bill's Dad.

aerokev said:
i just don't think that bellychick taught saban anything. if anything bellychick learned from saban when it comes to defense and especially the secondary. the smartest thing that bellychick did was hire charlie weis as offensive coordinator, because without weis running things he has a losing record.

Charlie Weis wasn't there last year, and as I recall it they won the division. Just for the record any team who wins 3 championships in 4 years is a DYNASTY. Thier team IMO still doesn't get enough respect for what they accomplished. They won with an unselfish team. If they had some ME first players they probably would have garnished more respect, unfortunately. Until we win the division they are still the champs. We have a good chance this year, but we haven't proved a god damn thing yet. :rolleyes:

Captain Lou said:
Charlie Weis wasn't there last year, and as I recall it they won the division. Just for the record any team who wins 3 championships in 4 years is a DYNASTY. Thier team IMO still doesn't get enough respect for what they accomplished. They won with an unselfish team. If they had some ME first players they probably would have garnished more respect, unfortunately. Until we win the division they are still the champs. We have a good chance this year, but we haven't proved a god damn thing yet. :rolleyes:

weis wasn't there and they went 10-6, not quite the record they were putting up with him. not the me first attitude? i guess the players like seymour holding out of camp to get a new contract fall into that category. i don't make the records up, without charlie weis running his offense, bellychick has a losing record in the NFL, and that includes the ruining of the cleveland browns before he was run out of town.

LarryFinFan said:

Thank YOU!!

That is what I thought.

NE Matt said:

Excuses, excuses

Back
Top Bottom