Archer mini Update! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Archer mini Update!

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-dolphins21feb21,0,14209.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

Tony Neely, Kentucky sports information director for football, confirmed Sunday night that Archer interviewed with the Dolphins last week, but Archer told Neely he hasn't made any decisions yet.
It really doesn't tell us anything we don't already know, BUT from the way it sounds, it looks like Saban probably offered him the job and he is just thinking things thru. I think by tomorrow night, Archer will be the new DC of the Miami Dolphins.

Just read that a sec. ago and came on to check and see if anybody posted it. I dont really know much about college coaches, so I cant really comment on how good he is/isnt but hopefully this guy doesnt turn us down. Who would be next in line??

FuturePhin said:
Just read that a sec. ago and came on to check and see if anybody posted it. I dont really know much about college coaches, so I cant really comment on how good he is/isnt but hopefully this guy doesnt turn us down. Who would be next in line??
Edwards or Muschamp would be next in line. However, I really don't think Archer would turn down an opurtunity like this.

i think he will be good since he knows the 3-4 and thats what it looks like were gunna go into so i hope we get him and god if he turns it down what thatll be the 7 person to do so so i hope he dont if he does well be on sportscenter special with the title bein "nobody wants to coach for saban at the dc position is there something goin on we dont know about"

My question is how come there's still a ton of people on this board that keep saying "WE'RE NOT MOVING TO A 3-4! END OF STORY" when virtually every Miami beat writer has now printed that Saban favors the 3-4, or that a certain guy knows the 3-4 defense which is a Saban staple, or that Saban ran a lot of 3-4 in LSU, etc etc...

Guess we're all still just makin up stuff, huh...

ckparrothead said:
My question is how come there's still a ton of people on this board that keep saying "WE'RE NOT MOVING TO A 3-4! END OF STORY" when virtually every Miami beat writer has now printed that Saban favors the 3-4, or that a certain guy knows the 3-4 defense which is a Saban staple, or that Saban ran a lot of 3-4 in LSU, etc etc...

I agree. It is pretty obvious that Saban plans on making us a 3-4 team. I don't think it will be a sudden change, but it will be in full force probably by 2006.

I don't know if he'll ever really move us to a strict 3-4, he'll probably be mixing the two together, IMO.

He was the LB COach for the Steelers during which timw they had the most feared Linebacking corps in the league. ITs not like those guys were all first round picks either - it seems as if there was definitely a great deal of coaching involved.

Surferosa said:
He was the LB COach for the Steelers during which timw they had the most feared Linebacking corps in the league. ITs not like those guys were all first round picks either - it seems as if there was definitely a great deal of coaching involved.
Mabey he can find some hidden talent in some of our LBs like, Eddie Moore, Brendon Ayanbadejo, Corey Jenkins, Billy Strother, and Renauld Williams. Williams and Strother are some big brusing LBs that are coming out of smaller schools. BTW this is to BAZ, since you play for New Mexico, I was wondering if you knew Billy Strother, and was he a good player, just seems like a good question for a guy who played on the field w/ him.

ckparrothead said:

Yes cause we all know how 'with it' the media is. Yes cause were going out and hiring one coach with a 3-4 background all of a sudden were making an automatic change to the 3-4. Uh huh.

Why can't people just accept that Saban's looking to just mix it up and leave his options open. The guy wants to play mixed defense from what I am seeing. In the end he's going to run schemes that best compliment his players and I don't think we will see one specific type of set of defense which excites the hell outta me. I'd love to see us line up 3-4 one series and be able to pull off a 4-3 the following series and mix up the coverages etc.

I guess it's because some people go to great lengths, with great arrogance, in an attempt to shove their opinions in other's face when it comes to these reports of Saban and the 3-4 defense. I think most agree with you VanDolPhan, but some just can't let it go without inflating the value of their 2 cents.

VanDolPhan said:
Why can't people just accept that Saban's looking to just mix it up and leave his options open. The guy wants to play mixed defense from what I am seeing. In the end he's going to run schemes that best compliment his players and I don't think we will see one specific type of set of defense which excites the hell outta me. I'd love to see us line up 3-4 one series and be able to pull off a 4-3 the following series and mix up the coverages etc.

Stop making so much damn sense! You'll confuse people! :)

ckparrothead said:

Damn, dude, he just wants to show different fronts. You're not given one of the best 4-3 defenses in the league and decide you want to go 3-4 and get all new personnel. Saban has always had a base 4-3 anyway. Even if we do eventually go to 3-4 it will be in a year or two, worry about it then!
Did you just use Miami beat writers as support for your statement? No one outside the Dolphins organization knows anything about anything. We're completely in the dark, even those of us who know a lot (like KB21) are just speculating at best. Most of us are just repeating rumors, if not starting them. Then again, it's the offseason... what else is there to do?

ckparrothead said:

Well, it's mainly because that is completely and utterly false. Saban did not run the 3-4 at LSU. He didn't run it at Michigan State nor Cleveland neither.

LSU ran a 3-4 before Nick Saban got there, and Nick changed it to a 4-3. Lou Tepper was running LSU's defense at that time. Lou is a 3-4 guy. When he was the head coach at Illinois, his teams were known for their quartet of linebackers....Simeon Rice, Dana Howard, Kevin Hardy, one other guy whose name escapes me at the moment.

VanDolPhan said:
Yes cause we all know how 'with it' the media is. Yes cause were going out and hiring one coach with a 3-4 background all of a sudden were making an automatic change to the 3-4. Uh huh.

I agree with you. I have posted some threads in wish i have said that it seems that Saban is leaning towards the 3-4. But what you say makes sense. We propable will be seeing a lot of diferent looks and formations.

Back
Top Bottom