Are GM Problems on Ross, Philbin, or Both? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are GM Problems on Ross, Philbin, or Both?

The big problem really isn't Ross or philbin or aponte, none of that is a huge deal. It's a business structure that works for lots of companies, and it's quite common for a lot of companies to maintain there talent when hiring new bosses.

Here's where the problem lays:

Your trying to hire a outsider who doesn't want to end up being on the outside looking in. Gaine, aponte, Ross, philbin, all already have established relationships with one another. Imagine being the outsider coming to tell them what to do, it's not easy.

And unlike in most businesses where a CEO, if he loses his job, almost always finds himself a great job immediately after, gms may have one chance at it, if they aren't already establishes. In the NFL, it use to be rare to see these guys turn down top notch jobs, over the years that's changed. These top candidates are more willing to wait it out.

So really, the problem lays with insecurity among candidates more than anything else. I really can't blame them either, but I also think ross can make this work, assuring the candidate that there position is exactly what it is, and the staff is all on board is a big part of it.

That is just a load of crap. The business structure doesn't take a jet and try and replace your coach, and then come back and extend the coach after you fail. The business structure didn't fail to fire Ireland when they got rid of Sparano, Ross did. The business structure isn't failing to get rid of Philbin now, Ross is.

That is just a load of crap. The business structure doesn't take a jet and try and replace your coach, and then come back and extend the coach after you fail. The business structure didn't fail to fire Ireland when they got rid of Sparano, Ross did. The business structure isn't failing to get rid of Philbin now, Ross is.

Those were flat out screw ups by Ross.

Has nothing to do the structure of the franchise that Ross is trying to put in place, and the "power structure" that people keep referring to that is scaring off candidates. It really has nothing to do with what I posted.

If you loved philbin and he was considered one of the best coaches in the NFL, it wouldn't change the reason why candidates aren't accepting the job, which is what I was basically pointing st in my last post.

While Ross may think that power and responsibilities are seperate with the 3 positions, it is anything but. Philbin and Aponte have formed a very powerful and formitable alliance which leffectively neuters any GM .

While I think Aponte is part of a problem, I don't think she is the only problem.

Philbin is an issue as well. I'm sure many candidates don't want to be tied to him, and want the power to replace him if the team fails next year. Right now they have no power over that evaluation.

Secondly when I think about the Farmer situation, I believe he had a part in securing Pettine for the Browns. So Pettine would be "his guy" so to speak. He knows he can work with him.

Why would he come where when Philbin and Aponte are shoved down his throat.

Power Structure.
I think Miami is trying to push a weakened GM model. That is obviously going to turn some people off. If the power structure is going to be so unique then we should have just elevated Gaine. Though admittedly we would have been crucified in the media had we just done that from the beginning IMO

If we go with Gaine we should have just announced it like an hour or a day after Ireland was canned, it wouldn't have wowed anybody but most everybody would have understood. The Philbin haters could hold out hope the house could still be cleaned as early as next season and the Ireland haters could hold out hope that Gaine couldn't possibly be worse.

GM problems??? Ireland's still gone right?

There are no problems other than the ridiculous story lines manufactured by bored and misinformed media/fans.

Have to agree with this. We have a PR problem, not a GM problem.

This franchise is a joke and post child for how you don't do things. I mean any club should always have a short list of possible candiates to replace everyone so that when stuff like this happens you don't open it for everyone you might be interested in and doing 50 interviews to see who you want. This seach is a joke and should be over by now instead candidates appear to be dropping like flies and another black eye on Ross and the Dolphins disfunctional hiring process. Granted we don't have all the details but is a mess and why other teams look at Miami as a joke this front office is come to be known as. From hiring coaches and now GM. Ross may be able to make money but he is horrid at making decisions and really would be better off selling this team to football minded owner.

I have to wonder if Gaine does not get along with Philbin as well. I have no idea if he actually agreed with Ireland on disagreements with Philbin or, just went along with his boss.

Cleveland's new HC is their #7 choice. Are we there yet with a new GM? I lost track.

Yeah, I agree about this being purely a PR issue.

EVERY GM search is probably exactly like this, the difference here is that Ross made a grandiose display of this being a TRANSPARENT GM search,

so every media hack had time to load up and hunker down and play sniper and shoot down everything that moves.

WTF would he make this a transparent search knowing what the local climate with the media is like?

The only reason the dolphins are such a laughing stock nationally is because the local media make every thing they do out to be a joke.

This franchise is a joke and post child for how you don't do things. I mean any club should always have a short list of possible candiates to replace everyone so that when stuff like this happens you don't open it for everyone you might be interested in and doing 50 interviews to see who you want. This seach is a joke and should be over by now instead candidates appear to be dropping like flies and another black eye on Ross and the Dolphins disfunctional hiring process. Granted we don't have all the details but is a mess and why other teams look at Miami as a joke this front office is come to be known as. From hiring coaches and now GM. Ross may be able to make money but he is horrid at making decisions and really would be better off selling this team to football minded owner.

Isn't that how in got in trouble with Harbaugh, looking for coaches while he still had one in place? Its a lose lose, if you try to line up guys before you fire the person you look bad and if you fire the person first without talking to anybody you look bad.

ROSS.......period!!

everything from him rolls down hill, like the goofy power structure thing that seems to be proven as truth, and not rumor, with every report.

ross just flat out killed himself over the harbaugh thing even causing guys like bill cowher to say he would NEVER work for an owner who would go after a coach when he still had one in place.

and many in the nfl have never forgotten. then add the martin thing that most, right or wrong gets pinned on him. bad office people, ireland, silly hollywood who cares ownership. on and on.... .

and now, instead of going after a REAL football man, who controls ALL things football on the finz from scouting to draft to free agenct to coaches [as most, including nfl poeple] feel he needs to do, he is looking for a political piece, a piece of the aponte power structure that NO ONE, fans, candidates, media know exactly how it is defined, who will answer to who, who is responsible for what. another head scratching quagmire form the desk of steven ross. another strike!

CONGRATULATIONS to RAY FARMER for seeing he was walking into a token situation, a political face and faux power. ray farmer may or may not be a great gm someday but at least when he gets that gig it wont have the stench of of the martin debacle and its implications. ray basically turning down a gm gig, or a strong possibility of one says a lot about his character. we just MAY have lost out on a good one. but he obviously saw something in the interviews he didnt like.

OR......., maybe its clear to him [and maybe others] that GAINE has been the guy all along and this whole gm search is a prop to help ease the blow back from the fans of keeping irelands right hand man on board. the old, "we tried, we looked high and low but no one really fit our vision of the future for the miami dolphins. and then we realized we had our man all along, someone who has been here and has worked well with our staff [aponte] and also shares our vision". this speech has a STRONG possibility of being read from the podium verbatim. and this my worst nightmare!!!

WELL DONE RAY!!! WELL DONE!!! i hope everything works out for your future and your hired by a team that lets YOU be a real gm.

Isn't that how in got in trouble with Harbaugh, looking for coaches while he still had one in place? Its a lose lose, if you try to line up guys before you fire the person you look bad and if you fire the person first without talking to anybody you look bad.

I get your point but any owner that knows what they are doing has a short list of potential replacements if that time comes to avoid situations where you drag the process out as much has Miami has seemed to do. It's a circus, or higher a company to do this for you and get you the best candidates to interview and try and keep out of media. Coaches have a list of back ups for their coaching staffs so that if same situation arises they have candidates to start off with and avoid situations like this.

Everything just seems so disorganized and drawn out that they are missing out on good candidates and by the time they get to decision will end up with gaine probably by default since the other candidates are dropping like flies since their appears to be no end in sight. Ross is a business man and having someone outside the organization hold his hand and recommend candidates is a joke now because Peterson is far from and expert as the Chiefs turned the corner after he left. Miami just needs football people to run the show and quit with this embarrasing way of handling important decisions like this and head coach. major black eye

Back
Top Bottom