Are Pro Bowlers the cure to Dolphins' ills? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are Pro Bowlers the cure to Dolphins' ills?

Are Pro Bowlers the cure to Miami's ills?

• Yes - Miami will get to winning again when they get bigtime talent

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • No - We had plenty of Pro Bowlers in the past and still didn't make the playoffs

Votes: 20 32.3%
  • Sort of - while teams like the Giants & Jags did well without many, we could use a few more

Votes: 29 46.8%

• Total voters

hugoguzman

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Yesterday's Pro Bowl got me to thinking that the reason Miami is bad right now was due to lack of Pro Bowl talent, but then I remembered all those Pro Bowl heavy teams from just a few years ago...and they didn't make it to the postseason either. That got me to thinking some more:
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/21247.html

So what do you all think? Are Pro Bowlers the cure to what ails the dolphins?

Yesterday's Pro Bowl got me to thinking that the reason Miami is bad right now was due to lack of Pro Bowl talent, but then I remembered all those Pro Bowl heavy teams from just a few years ago...and they didn't make it to the postseason either. That got me to thinking some more:
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/21247.html

So what do you all think? Are Pro Bowlers the cure to what ails the dolphins?

we just need to make better choices. We lost two players that have proven to be pro bowl type talents at Wr this past season, have lost the services of a pro bowl back to drugs and had an injured probowl LB so we did have some talent. Hopefully we will get better talent evaluation especially in the draft.
Pro Bowl type talent helps but when u barely have a NFL starter at Qb postseason can be miles away and we have not had a good NFL qb since Marino.

As far as this question is concerned, my answer is Eh.

That's it. The fact is that yes, if you have many probowlers on your team, then you probably have a good if not great team. Does the amount of these players guarantee success? No. Especially if you are talking about Superbowl wins. How many Giants played on Sunday? Osi Menanuranndaedskagndk...Number 72 on the Giants. That is it, 1. Even if the mighty Patriots would have won, they would have only had 5 or so in Hawaii. This is all happening while the "lost in the first round" Cowboys had an insane 9 or so PBers.

While the game was going on yesterday I thought to myself "I wonder if I was able to somehow watch the ProBowl before the season started, would I be able to tell who did the best in the regular season". The answer was no. I could guess who did okay, but I would have said that the Cowboys won the Superbowl, Eagles had a winning record, the Colts got to the Superbowl, the 49ers had a good year, and Tom Brady had an off year, among other things. I know that alot of subbing was done because of injuries, but that is what would have come out of watching yesterday's game.

That all being said, yes, it would be nice to see more Dolphins in the Probowl, but I don't think it is neccesary. We would have had 3 Probowlers this year, and where would it had gotten us... 3-13?

Here is my 2 cents...

I think if we stand a chance at making the playoffs next year (we won't make it this year) then we are going to need some talented veterans to come in. We don't need a bunch of them, maybe just a hand full that will play at an above average level for 4-5 years before retiring.

We need vets in the defensive backfield, a wideout, a defensive lineman, a offensive lineman, and a quarterback that is not injured.

The rest must be rookies acquired threw the draft. I can underscore the importance of the Phins drafting rookies, rookies, rookies. We have no depth because Wayne never allowed the previous coaches from Cam back to Shula a chance to rebuild the team which is why we are in our current hole right now.

We have basically more or less have been playing with the same team system since Don Shula, hopefully Wayne will allow Parcels and Sparano to rebuild the team from the ground up if we want to break the curse we have had since 1986.

As far as this question is concerned, my answer is Eh.

That's it. The fact is that yes, if you have many probowlers on your team, then you probably have a good if not great team. Does the amount of these players guarantee success? No. Especially if you are talking about Superbowl wins. How many Giants played on Sunday? Osi Menanuranndaedskagndk...Number 72 on the Giants. That is it, 1. Even if the mighty Patriots would have won, they would have only had 5 or so in Hawaii. This is all happening while the "lost in the first round" Cowboys had an insane 9 or so PBers.

While the game was going on yesterday I thought to myself "I wonder if I was able to somehow watch the ProBowl before the season started, would I be able to tell who did the best in the regular season". The answer was no. I could guess who did okay, but I would have said that the Cowboys won the Superbowl, Eagles had a winning record, the Colts got to the Superbowl, the 49ers had a good year, and Tom Brady had an off year, among other things. I know that alot of subbing was done because of injuries, but that is what would have come out of watching yesterday's game.

That all being said, yes, it would be nice to see more Dolphins in the Probowl, but I don't think it is neccesary. We would have had 3 Probowlers this year, and where would it had gotten us... 3-13?

That was the main point of the column.

Quick question on an unrelated note: do you all actually read the column before commenting, or do you simply reply to the thread and/or poll question without reading the column?

Just curious, because I often read comments that seem to be made without reference to the column.

Either way, thanks for chiming in!

That was the main point of the column.

Quick question on an unrelated note: do you all actually read the column before commenting, or do you simply reply to the thread and/or poll question without reading the column?

Just curious, because I often read comments that seem to be made without reference to the column.

Either way, thanks for chiming in!

Yeah I must confess that I just read the forum topic, and when I read the link (after I posted) it was pretty much the same, sorry.

At first I felt stupid, but then felt kind of proud that I wrote something that was actually posted by a writer. Oh well, it's Monday, and it looks like I have a case of them.

we just need balance. i remember a few years ago when we sent like 7 guys from our defense alone. having a lot of pro bowlers doesnt necessarily mean that you have a great team - but it does mean that you probably have an awesome payroll.

The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest. Every year it seems like a few that SHOULD make the team are passed up in favor of more popular players that were less productive. So I'd say that the pro bowl has little to no bearing on our production

i dont think having pro bowlers necessarily makes you a great team

but having pro bowlers doesnt hurt

its really more an indicator of coaching; whether a team with many pro bowlers has success

just my opinion

Don't sweat it, SwiminInIndy! I was really just curious.

As for the feedback, I'm pretty much in agreement with every single response thus far.

Although the following comment by 6r3yf0x has me scratching my head:
We have basically more or less have been playing with the same team system since Don Shula, hopefully Wayne will allow Parcels and Sparano to rebuild the team from the ground up if we want to break the curse we have had since 1986.

As long as our team is competitive and not out of the playoff hunt before midseason im happy. I like vets and I like rookies the same. Also, there are many talented players that Iwould take that aren't in the Pro bowl.

The simple answer to your question is no. As you said earlier, we had a number of Pro Bowlers a few years ago and that didn't equate to a playoff appearance. The problem during those years was they were usually on one side of the ball. It's been well over a decade since we had multiple pro bowlers on the offensive side of the ball.

As much as I dislike them, the Patriots is a prime example of not needing a team of great player but players playing great as a team to win consistently.

It's not past Pro Bowl selections that makes a player (with some exceptions). Normally, the Pro Bowl balloting ends early December, and as this year proves, teams must be playing well up to that point. This is why only one Giant made the cut. They didn't start getting hot until the last few weeks of the season. Take players from the division champs - NE, Dallas, GB, Seattle, San Diego, etc. and you find multiple Pro Bowlers, that's because they played well the whole season.

As for Miami, if they can get hot early, and play consistent midway through the season, we'll see them playing in Hawaii again.

It works both ways, too. If your team is doing better, your guys have more opportunity for exposure, which leads to more votes. You also can't have a pro bowl running back without a good offensive line, or a pro bowl receiver without a QB.

Back
Top Bottom