Are the Dolphins at risk going to England to play? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins at risk going to England to play?

We've had more experience than most of Europe (probably with the exception of Spain) and yes this will be a high profile event, but I have every confidence that security will be good.

Lets not get to hot about this.

Dont you guys think that the SB would have been a better target? Sure it can happen, but i dont see why it is more a risk to happen in the UK, rather than the USA.

It's not the terrorists you need to watch, it's the big green eyed Giants fans coming through the window. they're the ones that'll get ya :evil:

Dont you guys think that the SB would have been a better target? Sure it can happen, but i dont see why it is more a risk to happen in the UK, rather than the USA.

The Super Bowl might have been a better target but this game is probably closer to any terrorist cell(s) that might want to make a name for themself.

This is why I think security would be as tight for this game as it would be for any World Cup game.

If the good people of England can provide sufficient security at the stadiums in Wimbledon and for the World Cup Tournament, they are more than capable of providing sufficient security for the Dolphins and Giants at Wembley Stadium.

Yes, but these aren't just tennis players or golfers, these are our Miami Dolphins we are talking about!! :)

Two points:

First of all, an attack in these dimensions needs months (if not years) of careful planning. The guys of 9/11 planned it for more than a year and they didn't have to deal with massive security. There simply wasn't enough time for any terrorist group to plan anything that security forces couldn't handle.

Second, why would they bother? Sure, it's Americans and Britons (throw in some Germans for good measure), but it would be a whole lot simpler and less dangerous to blow up an MLB game, for instance. The scary thing is: There are simply a million "better" targets out there.

I am sure that most if not all of us have seen or read of the various stories detailing the many terrorist groups located around London?

They seem especially radical and dangerous and with the recent car bomb situation in Picadilly Circus does anyone think there is any substantial risk for a group of high visibility professional American athletes traveling to that part of the world?

Weve got one of the best security services in the world so thats a huge NO. Americans are at Wimbledon as i speak and i havnt heard a thing about terrorist activity. Dont worry about it.

Two points:

First of all, an attack in these dimensions needs months (if not years) of careful planning. The guys of 9/11 planned it for more than a year and they didn't have to deal with massive security. There simply wasn't enough time for any terrorist group to plan anything that security forces couldn't handle.

Second, why would they bother? Sure, it's Americans and Britons (throw in some Germans for good measure), but it would be a whole lot simpler and less dangerous to blow up an MLB game, for instance. The scary thing is: There are simply a million "better" targets out there.

Yes it would be simplier but not as high profile and by the time the game is played, they would have atleast 5 months to plan for it.

Yes it would be simplier but not as high profile

But terrorists don't want high profile - too much risk. Look at all recent terrorist attacks; what they have in common is that they weren't high risk targets. Terrorists go for the weaknesses, because essentially, they are cowards.

and by the time the game is played, they would have atleast 5 months to plan for it.

Terrorists usually don't sit around idly knotting suicide belts waiting for opportunity come knocking at their door. If there are cells in the UK (which I don't doubt), they are planning something already and wouldn't waste months of planning and thousands of dollars to go after a high risk target. I've done some research on terrorism lately, and all experts tell you not to be afraid of special events but of everyday situations. Bombing a subway is much more effective from a psychological point of view; people can stand to be afraid of European football matches, but people being afraid from leaving their houses and taking a bus or a sub is way more scary.

But terrorists don't want high profile - too much risk. Look at all recent terrorist attacks; what they have in common is that they weren't high risk targets. Terrorists go for the weaknesses, because essentially, they are cowards.
They don't? When terrorists make an attack against Americans, they look for high profile as well as low risk. The USS Cole and the US Barracks in Beirut would be considered high profile attacks.

Terrorists usually don't sit around idly knotting suicide belts waiting for opportunity come knocking at their door. If there are cells in the UK (which I don't doubt), they are planning something already and wouldn't waste months of planning and thousands of dollars to go after a high risk target. I've done some research on terrorism lately, and all experts tell you not to be afraid of special events but of everyday situations. Bombing a subway is much more effective from a psychological point of view; people can stand to be afraid of European football matches, but people being afraid from leaving their houses and taking a bus or a sub is way more scary.

Noone is saying they sit idly by waiting for an opportunity and I'm not really worried about terrorists attacking Wembley Stadium. As I said earlier, I'm more worried about the flight over because of the possible detrimental effect it could have on the players. However, for those experts to say you should not be afraid of special events are only set people up for the inevitable.

They don't? When terrorists make an attack against Americans, they look for high profile as well as low risk. The USS Cole and the US Barracks in Beirut would be considered high profile attacks.

I wouldn't consider either high profile. The USS Cole was one destroyer of many (not to downplay the attack itself, but it wasn't exactly any kind of special ship or occasion) and barracks are rather common targets for terrorists around the globe. Of course, they got rather high profile after they were attacked, but no one would have considered them that before the way we would the Wembley game.

However, for those experts to say you should not be afraid of special events are only set people up for the inevitable.

I'm not sure if I get that sentence. Please elaborate. Sorry, not a native speaker myself :)

I wouldn't consider either high profile. The USS Cole was one destroyer of many (not to downplay the attack itself, but it wasn't exactly any kind of special ship or occasion) and barracks are rather common targets for terrorists around the globe. Of course, they got rather high profile after they were attacked, but no one would have considered them that before the way we would the Wembley game.
It was a high profile event here in the states for many reasons. One of the reasons being that it exploited a hole in our security policies.
I'm not sure if I get that sentence. Please elaborate. Sorry, not a native speaker myself :)
What I mean is, although it is more likely that a subway or streetside cafe to fall under a terrorist attack. Sooner or later a special event such as a concert or football game will also fall under a terrorist attack.

Sadly with the world we're living in today there is always a possibility. Hopefully there is noone here too naive to see that. As long as these cowards (no other word for terrorists) are still active, who knows what can happen.

Back
Top Bottom