Are the Dolphins for real? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins for real?

It's a long season, even a win at Buffalo will not prove if you are for real. It will be a great sign but still 14 games to play. You were 3-0 last year, it's about finishing the season for you guys this year. you had a playoff caliber team and fell short, this year you have to play like a playoff team the majority of the season and get over that hump and into postseason. 2-0 would be great for you but still a lot of work to be done and if you are 1-1 it won't mean you won't be a playoff team either.

I've seen Dolphins in the wild and a few at Sea World...so yeah, they are real...

From the article:

You do that by flexing muscles and proving last week’s Moreno/Lamar Miller ground show was no fluke, and you do it against the best defensive line you’ll face all season in the Bills’ Mario Williams-led front. Because that’s what good teams do.

He's right.

If you can somehow find a way to run and pass against our D-Line then you win.

Very good article. I think we're for real this year. If you're a realistic fan you know when you have holes and when you don't. Our LB spot concerns me, but the fact that we have a great line of defense in the front and back of them helps. If I were to pick where we were weak at I think I'd want it to be our LB's because when you can't get pressure to sack the qb or disrupt running lanes you lose and when you give up the deep ball you lose. With our defensive line being solid you can plug a guy in there and let them chase down the play, it becomes an easier read for them. I'm looking forward to the bills game, it'll be a good test but we're definitely walking out of there with a W. We're built to win!

Very good article. I think we're for real this year. If you're a realistic fan you know when you have holes and when you don't. Our LB spot concerns me, but the fact that we have a great line of defense in the front and back of them helps. If I were to pick where we were weak at I think I'd want it to be our LB's because when you can't get pressure to sack the qb or disrupt running lanes you lose and when you give up the deep ball you lose. With our defensive line being solid you can plug a guy in there and let them chase down the play, it becomes an easier read for them. I'm looking forward to the bills game, it'll be a good test but we're definitely walking out of there with a W. We're built to win!

I'm not as confident in a W. I'm sure Lazor has a lot of quick throws and a few screens dialed up for this game. Take some pressure off the O-line, spread the Bills out and then try to run up the middle but I still can't get the picture of the Bills D-lineman tossing our O-lineman aside like rag dolls last year. Marcel Dareus may now be the best D-lineman in our division...maybe in the conference followed closely by Muhammed Wilkerson...Wilfork looked like a shadow of himself against us.

Defensively it's a nightmare situation for us. A team that wants to run the ball and is very effective at it against a team with a depleted linebacking corp. I'm not very comfortable playing cover 1 and having Delmas play up close to the line because I'm still not sure how Jimmy Wilson is adjusting to the safety spot and you can't leave Sammy Watkins with no help over the top. Bills have the heaviest O-line in the league I think...or one of the heaviest. They like to run power. We have a quick D-line so they'll have a chance to get some penetration with a good get off at the snap but last year we had issues setting the edge against these guys and we still have the same DEs. Might we see Odrick play some DE and Vernon come in for obvious passing downs? I hope Coyle has something up his sleeve.

Good article.

Here's another encouraging sign:

The previous two seasons the Dolphins were 12-1 with good to great QB play (the QB was 88+ passer rating) which obviously means they were 3-16 otherwise. They simply couldn't overcome average to poor QB play. With this revamped running game there is another element to the team that can pick up some of the slack. If the running game gives us the opportunity to win more games with average to poor QB play we're cooking. If Tannehill is able to step it up this season, like we're all expecting, and plays good to great more consistently we're not just cooking but cooking with gas.

Good article.

Here's another encouraging sign:

The previous two seasons the Dolphins were 12-1 with good to great QB play (the QB was 88+ passer rating) which obviously means they were 3-16 otherwise. They simply couldn't overcome average to poor QB play. With this revamped running game there is another element to the team that can pick up some of the slack. If the running game gives us the opportunity to win more games with average to poor QB play we're cooking. If Tannehill is able to step it up this season, like we're all expecting, and plays good to great more consistently we're not just cooking but cooking with gas.

More of a charcoal guy myself.

I'm not as confident in a W. I'm sure Lazor has a lot of quick throws and a few screens dialed up for this game. Take some pressure off the O-line, spread the Bills out and then try to run up the middle but I still can't get the picture of the Bills D-lineman tossing our O-lineman aside like rag dolls last year. Marcel Dareus may now be the best D-lineman in our division...maybe in the conference followed closely by Muhammed Wilkerson...Wilfork looked like a shadow of himself against us.

Defensively it's a nightmare situation for us. A team that wants to run the ball and is very effective at it against a team with a depleted linebacking corp. I'm not very comfortable playing cover 1 and having Delmas play up close to the line because I'm still not sure how Jimmy Wilson is adjusting to the safety spot and you can't leave Sammy Watkins with no help over the top. Bills have the heaviest O-line in the league I think...or one of the heaviest. They like to run power. We have a quick D-line so they'll have a chance to get some penetration with a good get off at the snap but last year we had issues setting the edge against these guys and we still have the same DEs. Might we see Odrick play some DE and Vernon come in for obvious passing downs? I hope Coyle has something up his sleeve.

Somebody should start a separate thread on this but the 5-2 should be a good counter to their strength right? The 5-2 was the prevalent defense back before this new fangled passing game started ramping up. From my research it appears the 3-4 and 4-3 were spawned to deal with passes to TEs and H-backs, which would lead me to conclude the 5-2 is in fact the best option as far as stopping the run goes. It shouldn't really work in this day and age because teams should be able to murder you with the pass but with Wake and McCain coming off the edges and a skittish QB it could be the best of both worlds for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am certainly ready to see this team whoop,stomp,hit,punch whoever they play. I am really anxious for this team to be awesome in the NFL not just my Aqua eyes. Let's go get some Buffalo burgers Miami.

Somebody should start a separate thread on this but the 5-2 should play right into their strength right? The 5-2 was the prevalent defense back before this new fangled passing game started ramping up. From my research it appears the 3-4 and 4-3 were spawned to deal with passes to TEs and H-backs, which would lead me to conclude the 5-2 is in fact the best option as far as stopping the run goes. It shouldn't really work in this day and age because teams should be able to murder you with the pass but with Wake and McCain coming off the edges and a skittish QB it could be the best of both worlds for us.
Would be hard to employ a 5-2 all game with only 3 DTs that have experience. I know Johnson played 18 snaps last game but Starks played something like 64 snaps and he's not 100%.

Would be hard to employ a 5-2 all game with only 3 DTs that have experience. I know Johnson played 18 snaps last game but Starks played something like 64 snaps and he's not 100%.

Yeah all these injuries/suspensions, most of them being right in the middle of our defense are getting really annoying. Vernon could probably play as a DT in the 5-2 though with McCain as the DE, assuming McCain can even go...

Most believe that, due to todays limited practice and starters playing little in preseason, the first couple of games are somewhat of an extension of PS, and it takes 4 games to get a fail read on a team.

However, I was listening to Golic and Stink on M&M earlier, and they said that Miami really surprised them. Golic picked us at 5-11, and now expects 8-8 or more. The reason is all on the OL. Both find it hard to believe that the Dolphins put 5 new guys out there and they have played so well as a unit this fast. It's almost impossible to do but, Benton has done it.

* Stink is former Pro Bowl OL Mark Schlerith, who does know what he is talking about on OL's.

Back
Top Bottom