Are the Dolphins going to sign a Cb? (merged) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins going to sign a Cb? (merged)

BLITZKRIEG

~LACUNA LEGIONS~
Reaction score
Phinz Fishing For Another DB???

I just read where J. Clayton is reporting that the Phinz are interested in adding to the secondary???....he said we could sign T. Buckley or D. Greer.

WHY???.....

With the problems we're having up front on the OL (THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION ON OFFENSE), Dave and Rick are thinking more defense???

I don't understand this at all???.....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

It has been said a million times... THERE ARE NO LINEMAN AVAILABLE! And its not vague O-line problems we have. We have a problem at the LT position. We are fine everywhere esle. Left Tackle is one of the hardest positions in the league to fill... and there just isn't anybody available to sign.

Well you can never have enough good DBs and neither will come in at more than the vet min, so it really isn't an issue. They will not takethe spot of a more deserving OT, take my word on that. If we can fill one hole(dime back) why not do it? It doesn't mean that if a good OT becomes available(can't see it happening) then we hypothetically could sign him as well.

Just because we need an OT doesn't mean we should completely ignore all other aspects of our team that could use a bit of upgrading.

I agree that we shouldn't ignore other areas that we can improve. Your also right about never having too much depth in the secondary.....

Maybe we should consider one of the two.....

PHINZ RULE!!!

Personally I would think that with Trent Gamble, Omare Lowe, and Ray Green in the mix, we really don't have to worry much about dime back duties.

TBuck's better than Greer but he'd be not only playing behind the guy that he feels he got unfairly benched for in 99 in Patrick Surtain, but now he'd be playing dime back behind last year's first round draft pick Jamar Fletcher.

Maybe they want TBuck to return punts that way we can open up our 5th receiver spot to Sam Simmons instead of Jeff Ogden.

Are the Dolphins going to sign a Cb?

Well, that very well could be. It seems that Miami has been working out two Cornerbacks in the last week. One being Donovan Greer, whom I would not want, and the other being T-Buck.

I just herd it on WQAM, that it was reported on ESPN NEWS, but could not find a link for it......

I'd take a Terrell Buckley at this time. He can always be let go if someone beats him out of a spot.........

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Personally I would think that with Trent Gamble, Omare Lowe, and Ray Green in the mix, we really don't have to worry much about dime back duties.

TBuck's better than Greer but he'd be not only playing behind the guy that he feels he got unfairly benched for in 99 in Patrick Surtain, but now he'd be playing dime back behind last year's first round draft pick Jamar Fletcher.

Maybe they want TBuck to return punts that way we can open up our 5th receiver spot to Sam Simmons instead of Jeff Ogden.

Actually they are using Jamar Fletcher quite a lot on Punt Returns, and he has done quite well. But it might just be Sam Simmons that wins the Wr job because of his own return ability. He is smallish, but built a heck of a lot better than Fletcher.

On a sad note for ya Parrot, Ogden has probably had the best offseason, both returning Punts and working the Drills at Wr......I'm all for a change at the number 5 spot but who knows.....

I really like Buckley but the question I have about this is, do you think he would be content to take a dime back roll? Somehow I seriously doubt he would do that and not make some kind of noise voicing his disapproval.

Remember, he could have signed with the 'Fins last year and taken over the nickel duties but he declined and went over to NE (he got a ring out of the deal so I suppose it worked out well for him.) This is just something to consider since we have almost nothing else to talk about right now.

Apparently no one is looking at him as a starter hence why he would be looking here. I'm surprised Carolina isn't looking at him though.

Knowing Tbuck..he probably wants another ring and I don't think Carolina would be a good choice for that right now..He knows what he getting if he signs with Miami..so if he's working out for them, then he knows was to expect...I do give Wanny and company credit for being up front with players...Think about the fact he told OG and McKnight they would have to complete for the other starting WR position...no faking, just fact..Chris is our starter on the other side.

Has anyone even thought about the possibility of this new event, TBuck and Donovan Greer working out for us, being possibly directly linked to Jamar Fletcher getting toasted for TDs like 4 times in practice against a Chris Chambers with a bum ankle?

You don't sign TBuck to be cannon fodder at the very bottom of the depth chart. Thats the spot you need a guy developing in. You sign a TBuck if you think that, not unlike last year, your first round pick CB could use a threat to his playing time pushing him and keeping him from getting comfortable.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Has anyone even thought about the possibility of this new event, TBuck and Donovan Greer working out for us, being possibly directly linked to Jamar Fletcher getting toasted for TDs like 4 times in practice against a Chris Chambers with a bum ankle?

Nope I expected this to come down because we have no proven viable 4th corner beyond that one guy whose coming off injury last year and is more of a special teamer. Sure Ray Green has shown flashes but like always it was without pads. If they sign someone it's because they want to have a good competition for the 3rd and 4th corners and field the best guys who win the job in training camp. We did the same thing last year by signing Terry Cousin at this point and he eventually won the 3rd corner spot as a surprise.

I just heard that the Dolphins have offered Buckley a contract for the veteran minimum.

Yes but thats exactly what I'm talking about. They aren't just signing a Terrell Buckley to compete for the dime CB role, they are signing him to compete across the board all the way up to 3rd CB.

Dime CB isn't all that important anyway. He's rarely used and almost always has his back covered somehow. Trent Gamble proved to be excellent at covering TEs in the dime package. Ray Green has been showing up the regular CBs in camp so far. Omare Lowe was drafted for the specific purpose of trying to play Dime CB. And now they sign TBuck to play dime? I don't think so.

Let me put it to you this way. Last year after the draft, the 3rd CB position HAD been filled...by our newly drafted 1st round pick Jamar Fletcher. We took a chance on a guy that got cut that had been around the league a bit in Terry Cousin, and Jamar ended up disappointing and Cousin ended up doing really well.

This year once again we're in a position where our 3rd CB ostensibly looks filled by Jamar Fletcher...but don't be so sure. The coaches are hoping to strike lightning twice, and they are looking to push Jamar into performing up to par. Remember this time last year everyone was raving about how much improvement Ben Kelly had made since his rookie season...yet he couldn't get over the hump and got his @ss cut. Not saying Jamar will get cut or anything far from it. But if we sign TBuck, don't take it for granted that Jamar is our nickel CB

Back
Top Bottom