Are the Dolphins still a top franchise? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins still a top franchise?

scottieUK

Starter
Reaction score
If Manning says no to Miami I won't be overly bothered, as I'm in two minds about him. However, what will bother me will be the recent trend of players/coaches turning down the chance to go to the Dolphins. I know that this is largely due to a seemingly poor FO job in recent years, but, are we still deemed a marque franchise? It seems that the only thing the Dolphins have in their favour these days is no state income tax and great weather! Almost 40 years without a Super Bowl win isn't impressive either!

Think about this, Miami is one of three teams so far to meet face to face with Manning. He told the Jets, Redskins, among others flat out no. Also he wouldn't even listen to teams like the Chiefs and Seahawks. What does that say about those franchises when he wouldn't even consider them?

In the last 12 years we have two playoff appearances, one playoff win, one 4-12 season, one 1-15 season, 5 head coaches, 17 quarterbacks, one of the worst personell moves in the history of sports, and a partridge in a pear tree. You tell me.

I think the OP has a good point actually. It's not just Manning it's been a trend in recent years. On paper to Manning we would appear a perfect fit but we are considered outsiders. Ross's bumbling over Harbaugh has really hurt us over the past few years. The strength of the Pats and Jets hasn't helped either.

I'd say no. Mostly because of the jokes we've had at quarterback and coach. Every team has bad seasons with bad records.
Philbin may be the right guy. Flynn may be awesome. Manning would be total franchise makeover.

LOL

Fins haven't been a marquee franchise since Marino.

The Dolphins haven't been a top franchise for years. Prob not since the early 2000's IMO.

Lol what the Jay Fiedler/Todd Wade years? No, we haven't been a top franchise since the mid 90s before Marino started breaking down and getting victimized by JJ's crap.

Forget "top franchise" - we haven't even been remotely relevant for over a decade.

The Dolphins haven't been a top franchise for years. Prob not since the early 2000's IMO.
Bingo. Look at the Dolphins franchise-- onfield and off-- since the early 00s. After the talent residue from the late Shula/JJ years was wasted, the team has fluctuated from god-awful to mediocre with the exception of one wildcard berth and a quick exit from the playoffs. This team has miles to go before it becomes a top franchise. Hell, we just fired our last head coach and parted ways with the guy we drafted to be the QB of the future. Manning or not, this isn't a top franchise.

We've been a laughing stock of the league for some time..

Lol what the Jay Fiedler/Todd Wade years? No, we haven't been a top franchise since the mid 90s before Marino started breaking down and getting victimized by JJ's crap.

From 1992 to 2003 the Dolphins worst record was 8-8. As for my comment, in 2000 and 2001 they were 11-5, 2002 they were 9-7, and in 2003 they were 10-6.

Records from the 90s:

1990 - 12-4
1991 - 8-8
1992 - 11-5
1993 - 9-7
1994 - 10-6
1995 - 9-7
1996 - 8-8
1997 - 9-7
1998 - 10-6
1999 - 9-7

Starting in 2004 is when the franchise started to dwindle. They mixed in a 9-7 record (Saban) and an 11-5 record (Brady-less division) but have been mediocre overall since 2004.

Back to my point, they haven't been a top team since the early 2000s? Laugh out loud all you want b/c you're incorrect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom