Are the Dolphins still a top franchise? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins still a top franchise?

We are in a rough psych like the Niners were. Start winning and all is forgotten!

Well since the Dolphins have had the worst record in the league for some time I guess you're right.

It's not all about the record, the off-field debacles with this organization have tainted the image of our franchise in many people's eyes unfortunately.

It's not all about the record, the off-field debacles with this organization have tainted the image of our franchise in many people's eyes unfortunately.

It's all about the record and your on-field performance. **** like the Harbaugh incident are for ESPN and the like to ramble on about. Has that affected the team's performance? No, it's the boob coaching job Sparano and company were a part of for the last few years.

I think the OP has a good point actually. It's not just Manning it's been a trend in recent years. On paper to Manning we would appear a perfect fit but we are considered outsiders. Ross's bumbling over Harbaugh has really hurt us over the past few years. The strength of the Pats and Jets hasn't helped either.

You raise a very good point there. Miami would appear a perfect fit, get Manning and Wayne, draft a RT and pass rusher and we are all set to challenge.

Yet Manning is seriously considering Arizona who have a bad O-line and he maybe one big hit away from being done. Doesn't say much for us!

I think we were a top franchise until Dan Marino retired. We have not been a top team from about 2000 onward. We had the greatest coach/QB combination of all-time with Shula and Marino. Since then we have gone through numerous owners, coaches and QB's. I am not sure we would even be ranked in the top 20 anymore, which is really sad. Just my honest two cents.

I think we were a top franchise until Dan Marino retired. We have not been a top team from about 2000 onward. We had the greatest coach/QB combination of all-time with Shula and Marino. Since then we have gone through numerous owners, coaches and QB's. I am not sure we would even be ranked in the top 20 anymore, which is really sad. Just my honest two cents.

Interesting discussion. A few more off the top of my head...

Walsh/Montana
Belichick/Brady
Noll/Bradshaw
Lombardi/Starr

Interesting discussion. A few more off the top of my head...

Walsh/Montana
Belichick/Brady
Noll/Bradshaw
Lombardi/Starr

I'd put Shula/Marino ahead of all of them. Shula has the most wins as an NFL coach. As far as QB's it depends how you measure greatness. To me I would probably have to measure it by WINS as well....Marino had 147 wins, 93 losses. I think only Favre and Elway had more wins. Manning and Brady will probably pass Dan by, but their coaches are nowhere close to Shula's 328. Lombardi and Belichick are not even in the top ten in wins, but they did have a great winning % and the SB trophies, and Marino never won an SB,

1. Don Shula, 328-156-6, .677
2. George Halas, 318-148-31, .682
3. Tom Landry, 250-162-6, .607
4. Curley Lambeau, 226-132-22, .631
5. Paul Brown, 213-104-9, .667 (includes All-American Football Conference Record)
6. Marty Schottenheimer, 200-126-1, .611
7. Chuck Knoll, 193-148-1, .566
8. Dan Reeves, 190-165-2, .535
9. Chuck Knox, 186-147-1, .558
10. Bill Parcells, 172-130-1, .567

Depends how you look at it. The last 10yrs most likely the worst stretch this franchise has been in since the start. Yet we have NOT been the worst team the last ten years. We are a product of being mediocre for way too long. If we could get more top 5 draft picks we may have found ourself outta this hole by now, but we dont suck enough to find ourself that lucky. Top 15 franchise easily.

They have definitely slipped a lot as far as being viewed as a prestigious franchise. They sat in the top 5-10 teams in terms of merchandise sales and nationwide fanbase for years and years. I think they are still in the 12-18 range in that regard, but they have definitely nosedived since the dawn of the 00's.

Back
Top Bottom