Are we changing to a WCO?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are we changing to a WCO??

inFINSible

Don't believe everything you think.
Reaction score
I don't remember ever seeing this article or hearing anyone talk about it but, I think I found the cause of the rift with Trestman and Collier.It seems we are incorporating more features from the west coast offense than I originally thought and i bet more than Collier was comfortable with.....
"I think you see it out there," quarterbacks coach Marc Trestman said of Feeley's talent. "I think you see his arm strength. You see the explosiveness. Once he stops thinking about what he's saying, he'll be a lot more productive."

But Feeley is learning a new offense and to an extent so is Trestman, since the terminology they're both using is held over from Norv Turner's tenure. And so, in truth, neither Feeley nor Jay Fiedler has shined so far.

Several Dolphins said Tuesday they've been most impressed by Sage Rosenfels.

Trestman, offensive coordinator at Oakland last season, has brought some of his West Coast tendencies to the Sunshine State. The Dolphins want a "quicker rhythm" and a combination of quick, short passes and deep balls.

"There is enough arm here that we can pretty much throw anything we want," Trestman said. "We don't have arm issues with any of our quarterbacks."

Feeley's arm is stronger than Fiedler's. And yet Miami's starter for four years says he likes what Trestman has brought to the passing game.

"I've been in about every offense and I've been a rhythm thrower," Fiedler said. "I read the defenses quickly. So a three-step, quick-passing game lends itself to my style. The last few years it's been a vertical emphasis. A lot of these concepts emphasize horizontal stretch. Now we want to stretch the defense in every direction."

entire article

See!

I wrote a reply to you on my thread. This is what I am talking about. Kind of interesting isnt it. I think it will be successful!! This excites me...a more dynamic passing attack with more emphasis on completion than big play.

What I said to you on previous thread: The WCO is an effective system. It can be fashioned around the players that we have. If you ask me, I think Fiedler would be more productive in the WCO (given his abilities). The only major adjustment would be a different style running game and I think RW would fit in nicely. Besides, I get frustrated when analysts call him an inside runner. He is much better with offtackle, misdirection and sweeps I think. Come on man, it isnt as if they've been tearing up the field with the current system. Bringing in a College coach is a lot riskier than simply changing a scheme-let alone, a scheme that has seen much success in the NFL.

vert1983 said:
I wrote a reply to you on my thread. This is what I am talking about. Kind of interesting isnt it. I think it will be successful!! This excites me...a more dynamic passing attack with more emphasis on completion than big play.
It does sound interesting. :cooldude:

Feeleying Good??

This gives me more confidence that both Feely and Fiedler could be productive. The WCO (perhaps even a hybrid of it) takes a lot of pressure off of the QB and more pressure on the WR's ability to run precise routes. That also works well with CHris C. I think he will flourish in this system. I think we have found a good reason for Dolfans to start getting really excited about this football season. Not to mention, this scheme will also take pressure off of RW so we dont run him into early retirement. Im bursting with fruit flavor about the Fins right now. LOOK OUT DEFENSES!!! HERE COME THE FINS!! MIAMI DOLPHINS MIAMI DOLPHINS MIAMI DOLPHINS NUMBER ONE!!! MIAMI HAS THE DOLPHINS....THE GREATEST FOOTBALL TEAM >>> WE TAKE THE BALL FROM GOAL TO GOAL LIKE NO ONES EVER SEEN !!! (here is the best part-the one I really like) WE"RE IN THE AIR WE"RE ON THE GROUND WE"RE ALWAYS IN CONTROL AND WHEN YOU SAY MIAMI YOUR TALKIN...........(evertbody now)

SUPERBOWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No. I got the nickname from my highschool Chemisrty teacher. He was basically calling me a PERVERT for comments I would make in class. Kind of stuck with me through the years. I use it for everything. Anyway, did you like my Dolphins fightsong? I have a good voice huh!! I would like to do a real good punk version and send it to the Team. Maybe they would use it during games.

MIAMI DOLPHINS >>>MIAMI DOLPHINS>>>>MIAMI DOLPHINS #1 OUI OUI OUI
and so on and so forth.

I don't think we're going to a WCO as much as we're going to incorporate some of the ideology behind it. I think this new "flavor" would have helped us tremendously last year, as the OL does not have to hold their blocks as long. As Jeno James put it, "It's an offensive lineman's dream".

I still think we'll take as many if not more shots downfield. But there will be a lot more quick passing involved. Similar to what New England does in that regard.

Is this the first you've heard of this Muck?

I admit that it isn't a full west coast swing, and I was just being provocative with the thread title but, I haven't seen or heard much about this at all. Maybe a passing reference here and there, like DW saying, "we are going to try and add a few things" but nothing this specific.

I bet Collier was just a little upset about being given the OC job and then not being able to fully implement his own offense or ideas. It's like, here's your dream job, one of the major goals you've been working towards all your career, but, you have to share it.
The problem is, it's your name on the sign.

If sounds to me like we're trying a hybrid offensive system. I got this impression from JC's original comments, and I think our new OC is keeping the same mentality. It's tempting to think we have the staff to pull it off -- the combination of talent is pretty good. If they can get the concept across to the players, you would have to think that being able to pick different aspects of each offensive school to match a particular situation, well, sounds good on paper.

Muck said:
I think this new "flavor" would have helped us tremendously last year, as the OL does not have to hold their blocks as long. As Jeno James put it, "It's an offensive lineman's dream".
Might be the single most important part of the whole plan. This may have been the lynchpin to having the nads to get rid of four starting linemen in one offseason.

xiidaen said:
If sounds to me like we're trying a hybrid offensive system. I got this impression from JC's original comments, and I think our new OC is keeping the same mentality. It's tempting to think we have the staff to pull it off -- the combination of talent is pretty good. If they can get the concept across to the players, you would have to think that being able to pick different aspects of each offensive school to match a particular situation, well, sounds good on paper.

I think you've called it correctly. I think a full blown, wide open, WCO would be too disruoptive and play away from our greatest offensive weapon, Ricky. However trying to get the ball quickly to Boston and/or Chambers on slants and quick pops and then letting them make plays with their size and strength is a smart use of the weapons at our disposal. Also as has been said with a young line just coming together, it should help the blocking by not making them hold blocks as long.

On a personal note xiidean, I was born in Fair Lawn and my Dad worked in Morristown for a number of years. He was assistant manager of the old A&P grocery store downtown in the 50's. The seeing eye dog trainees used to shop in his store. He later went to Pompton Lakes and eventually in '66 we moved to Florida.

The way I heard it was that Trestman personality was overdominating Collier ideas which is why they hired Forester to control both of them and better comply with Wannys more conservative approach to offense.

Having said that I am sure they will incorporate some WCO type of plays and that can only be good.

I don't think this is the source of any riff as Collier himself had said he likes the offense that NE was running, which is a modified WCO and was going to try an emulate components of it our offense.

Back
Top Bottom