Are we changing to a WCO?? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are we changing to a WCO??

Is Miami copying the Pats?

This hybrid of running and short passing sounds alot like what they have been using in NE during their SB run.

Immitation being the sincerest form of flattery...

:cooldude:

You asked if this has been discussed.

I found that although the article was referenced twice in that thread no topic had been started about the single article. :D

Dolphan_B said:
This hybrid of running and short passing sounds alot like what they have been using in NE during their SB run.

Not at all. They run alot more spread formations which departs from the traditional "west coast". The matchups and subsequent attacks are completely different in philosophy.

But it's all still football. ;)

Well I kind of agree with your post Infin, Trestman has stated that he wants his Qb's to throw to a certain spot on the field, so IMO it has to do with short routes and quick passes, more often than not. A good sign that the passing scheme will be more open this year.

If any read my agonizing thread on Killing Time 10, it kind of shows that BB opened up his passing scheme, to one with more short passes, when he came over to NE from Clev. NE's stats had an pronounce dercrease in Yards per Passing Attempt, and an increase in Pass Attempts.

This is a copy-cat league, and team will adapt to what suceeds. We could not due that last year due to N Turner's offensive scheme. This year we have new coaches in the critical areas, OC, QB, WR, mostly used to working in the WC style of offense. So a hybrid, or a few plays taken from it and adding it to our original playbook, seems to be expected...

Dolphan_B said:

What running?? They have been one of the worst rushing offenses for the last three years! Yet, they have won two superbowls. IT IS NOT because Tom Brady is the "BIGGEST STAR." He is the result of an effective system. It is because of a scheme that focuses on precision routes, quick/short passes and less on the vertical game. This is exactly my argument for Dan MArino being leaps and bounds better than Joe Montana. Danny put up his numbers with the lack of running and less productive recievers at times (not counting the marx bros of course) while Joe M. benefited from good D and adequate running fron Roger Graig and most of all Jerry R, John T. and the WCO. We will make Defenses press to stop the barrage of short accurate throws and Ricky's monster running ability and then OCCASIONALLY throw the deep ball to make a big play. But the emphasis is on moving forward be spreading the defense and hitting holes quickly in both the running and passing.

Every alleged WCO team is using a variation of the WCO, everybody has modified it to some degree. The variation that I think Miami would aspire to is Green Bay's. They do quite a bit of running (although I'm not sure if they use a zone blocking scheme) and quite a bit of deep passing mixed in with their WCO slants and crossing patterns.

you guys are awsome i love this web site i just had neck surgery and you guys make me laugh :roflmao: awsome song vert anyway this wco sounds like alot of excitement!!! i think chambers boston and rw are gonna flurish is it kinda similiar to the kansas city style o?

Neck surgery?? Ouch Catapano what prompted that? Sounds painful!! And I agree with most here, elements from the WCO can only help this offense!! Especially in the beginning as the OL is starting to gel.......... :cooldude:

Wco

Wanny nor Wayne want a WCO. That is why we wont have one. They think they are close, and dont want to rebuild or re-tool.

This can be shown by the following.

1. When Joel Collier was promoted to OC. He has no WCO experience and was to continue with Norv's offense. They dont want to change offenses.

2. When Joel demoted himself, we had 2 coaches on staff who could immediately have stepped in and installed a WCO. Trestmann and Sullivan. Right there on staff. Instead, Foerster, a former TE coach was promoted to OC. Someone who will do what Wannstedt says.

Sorry, I'd like to have something other than Fieds throwing those late out routes that get picked off for TD's too.

Disnardo said:
We could not due that last year due to N Turner's offensive scheme. This year we have new coaches in the critical areas, OC, QB, WR, mostly used to working in the WC style of offense. So a hybrid, or a few plays taken from it and adding it to our original playbook, seems to be expected...

I agree except with the point regarding Norv Turner's scheme. We did not have the personnel either at QB (Jay can't throw the deep out effectively) and especially on the Oline so Norv had to give up his plans. Funny thing is, with the new, quick drop, modified WCO approach we are hearing about, Jay may be more effective. It plays to his strengths, toughness, speed, quick reads.

Ohiophinphan said:
I agree except with the point regarding Norv Turner's scheme. We did not have the personnel either at QB (Jay can't throw the deep out effectively) and especially on the Oline so Norv had to give up his plans. Funny thing is, with the new, quick drop, modified WCO approach we are hearing about, Jay may be more effective. It plays to his strengths, toughness, speed, quick reads.
Toughness and speed, yes....but I dont consider Fiedler's reads to be one of his strengths. I've seen too many wide open receivers on the other side of the field while Jay throws a ground ball into double coverage.

xiidaen said:
If sounds to me like we're trying a hybrid offensive system. I got this impression from JC's original comments, and I think our new OC is keeping the same mentality. It's tempting to think we have the staff to pull it off -- the combination of talent is pretty good. If they can get the concept across to the players, you would have to think that being able to pick different aspects of each offensive school to match a particular situation, well, sounds good on paper.
I think you are right as well. I remember reading, I think it was right after Foerester got the promotion, that they were going to implement some ideas of the west coast offense from Trestman(I can't remember if Sullivan ran this as well.)

Back
Top Bottom