Are we fully happy with Tannehills weapons? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are we fully happy with Tannehills weapons?

I am not worried about the TE position. Clay proved he can ball. If we want to develop a guy that's fine. I surely don't want Egnew starting so bringing in someone or drafting a kid is common sense. Runningback is also a need but really slim pickings out there with McFadden and Jennings gone.

I hope we are one of the 10 teams that called about Spoles!

Very perceptive, OP.

Calling the skill position players around Tannehill "weapons" is using that word about as loosely as it can be used, lol. The only real WEAPON is Wallace. Everyone else is radically limited in some fashion: mostly mediocre or worse players pressed into starting duty simply because the skill position drafts of Ireland are among some of the worst ever. EVER. The whole reason why the team is mediocre is that skill position (and OL) drafting was beyond laughable.

Even with a killer off-season in FA and draft, this team is still majorly weak re: depth. Drafting either makes winners or perennial wannabees -- with fans who puff up players simply because they're filling a roster position on their favorite team.

LD

What else does Brian hartline have to do to convince you hes a legit #2? He was, in my opinion the best wideout on the team and by far most consistent. One of Best hands hands in the league, let alone our team

What else does Brian hartline have to do to convince you hes a legit #2? He was, in my opinion the best wideout on the team and by far most consistent. One of Best hands hands in the league, let alone our team

Read that part by itself and realize that is not enough evidence of being a legit #2 lol

There are tons of #2's out there that I'd take over both our receivers

Since football games are won by scoring points, how about he does that every now and then? How about learn the full route tree? Square in/out, curls and slants are only a small segment of a tree. He is a possession receiver. He does wonderful Marty Booker impersonations. I like the guy as a move the chains wideout. However, he is NOT a true number 2. Let me guess, it's the lack of running game that prevents him from catching touchdowns? He just doesn't score and I don't think is worth 6 million a year to fulfill a roll that he just doesn't fully fill. I would much rather seen Hakeem Nicks opposite Wallace than Hartline but I surely wouldn't pay him much more than what Hartline is getting a year...that's the problem.

Read that part by itself and realize that is not enough evidence of being a legit #2 lol

There are tons of #2's out there that I'd take over both our receivers

What exactly is a legit #2 to you?

Well, our biggest need is all across the OL. We are starting to address that with the Albert signing. IMHO, we would be best off if we could sign 1 more veteran OL, otherwise we're looking at Garner or Brenner stepping up. I fully expect us to draft 3 OL and for 1 or 2 of them to start. So, we haven't finished addressing our biggest need.

After that though, what we have is a decent stable of WR's. Wallace is the deep threat we wanted, and hopefully with more time together he and Tannehill can get in sync. Hartline has been our most productive WR each of the last two years despite all the detractors saying it wouldn't happen. IMHO, he is one of the very best in the league at tightrope sideline catches. He is very reliable, has a little speed and occasionally gets deep, and runs great routes. Tannehill is fully in sync with him. I'm happy with those two positions. While I wasn't a big Gibson supporter at first, he proved himself to be very good at moving the chains underneath. If he's healthy, I'm convinced we are OK there.

Where we are not settled is TE. Clay has always been a superior athlete ... and a raw football player. IMHO, he still is. He is very hit and miss as a blocker, which is a bad thing. He is limited in the type of routes he runs, and he doesn't run even those few precisely. He has speed, but he lacks length to be a red zone threat. He has unreliable hands. So, he flashes the spectacular because of his supreme athleticism, like the determination TD against Pittsburgh and medium deep passes he took right down the seam. But, for the most part, he's invisible and not helping disguise run vs. pass and not helping to open holes in the run game, and not presenting a size mismatch target for 3rd down and in the red zone.

Keller is a big possession receiver, but he was doing a good job in preseason before his injury. But, he always gets injured ...and he can't block either.

Last year there were several FA's and a couple of gems in the draft at TE. We were outbid on the FA's and let the draftees slip by us. Bill Lazor's offense utilizes big TE's and RB's that can catch. We have neither. If I were to add a weapon for Tannehill, it would be a big size mismatch TE for the red zone and preferably with enough speed to also be a seam threat. Unfortunately, the draft doesn't have them. Guys like Ebron and Lyerla have the speed and explosiveness, but lack the size (and Lyerla is a coke head). Guys like ASJ and Niklas have the size but are slow. So, it is highly unlikely we will add a TE this offseason.

Im not sold on these weapons at all. We have no reliable RB. No real TE and and a bunch of #2 wr's. Hopefully these FA signings allow us to address some offensive weapons early in the draft

Score touchdowns. Quit hitting the ground after the catch like hes being assaulted by ghosts.

Hartline is an average player. We shouldnt rely on average players. We lack a dominate player at a position that puts points on the board, we should go find one.

I understand we need help on the o-line and that is paramount. Kudos for addressing the LT need. We also addressed part of the secondary issue with Delmas. However, I still think that Miami has to look hard at a player like Hakeem Nicks because I am just not fully sold on Hartline as a number 2. Can he run the 10 yard curl or out or 5 yard slant? Yes. But that is about the only thing he can do consistently. He poses zero redzone threat. Even worse is that he doesn't have the speed to play the slot. Speaking of the slot, how will Gibson be coming back off the knee? It's a complete crap shoot.

Rumors have James Jones in the mix. They are just rumors at this point. There is an obvious connection here with Philbin. Is James Jones a true number 2 or a product of that monster offense in Green Bay? Who knows. That brings us full circle back to Nicks. An argument could be made that someone is going to overpay. It's free agency. EVERYONE overpays. The guy has the size for sure and I don't want to hear about how bad he was last year. The giants sucked big time last year. Another question is does Nicks play part time and doesn't give it his all. Surely for his size he should dominate. Not sure the answers here but I think we definitely should bring him in. Eric Decker even is worth looking at. He is what I think everyone wanted Hartline to be but I think Hartline has hit his ceiling and no further growth will be had.

Regardless , I understand we have bigger needs first but I think we need to bring some of these guys in. Always keep the fire burning under your own players butts and nothing says with a new GM that Miami is going to have to be loyal to previous contracts/promises. Now, ,is when you do your best to surround Tannehill with the absolute best offensive weapons you can. Everything rides on this kids progression at this point in the tenure.

Thoughts?

Excellent points, good post

Back
Top Bottom