are we getting any comp picks this year? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

are we getting any comp picks this year?

If I were a betting man, I'd bet we get zip, but you do raise a possibility that we get one, depending on the situations of every other team's net loss/gains. There will be only 32 comp picks as I understand it. The guys we lost ended up starting more than the ones we signed.
Weaver, Clark and Smith all started 15 games or more.
Haley was a starter early, must have been hurt the last couple of months.

Then of the guys we got only Thompson and Knight were starters though Zgonina played almost as much as the starters.

Originally posted by Ohiophinphan
First of all, again Haley counts. He was lost as part of the free agent plan and thus he is computed.

He does NOT count. The compensation system was set up for teams to get some sort of compensation for their losses of UFAs. Teams have the opportunity to keep RFA's, & also if you let them go you get compensation up front.

We may get a 7th for Weaver as he had a good year, but that's it.

Originally posted by MrClean
Haley was lost through the parameters of the Free Agent System.
a RFA who's offer sheet was not matched.
Just b/c we did not match an offer sheet is not relevant. Same as when KC doesn't match on Tait. They'll get a comp pick in 2005.
Haley still counts as part of the net gain/loss of system free agents.

There is a HUGE difference in Haley's and Tait's situations and subsequent compensation.

Haley was a restricted free agent, which meant we were compensated a 7th round pick for him, THAT SEASON.

Tait is a transition player and the Chiefs will NOT GET compensated this year for him. They will get their comp. pick NEXT year.

You cannot be compensated TWICE for the SAME player.

I've never thought we would get a comp pick for Haley. I'm just saying the net loss/gain of system free agents is the first consideration for awarding comp picks. Conceding as you say that Haley does not count as part of the net loss or gain of free agents used to determine comp picks, then that puts us at a plus one for free agents from '03 and we certainly won't be getting any comp picks.

Back
Top Bottom