Are we going to be asking Tannehill to win alone like we did with Marino? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are we going to be asking Tannehill to win alone like we did with Marino?

Danny

Finheaven VIP
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
When Dan came to the Dolphins we already had a good team in place. We had been to the superbowl the year before. We had a great o-line with Stevenson, Kuechenburg and Newman, (all 3 were probowlers at some point)we had 3 great WR's(Duper, Clayton and Moore)plus Nathan was one of the best pass catching RB's in the NFL at that time. We had the killer Bee's on defence too. A QB is all we needed and here comes Marino and he becomes very fast the best QB in the NFL at the time and yet, we never won a superbowl with him. Now mind you, that was with a team that had a lot of the pieces in place. Even our running game was pretty good when he came to us with Nathan and Franklin and the great oline. Little by little and bad draft after bad draft, we striped Dan of a lot of talent and one day, he was being asked to win all by himself and of course he couldn't do it. Now I know that was a different era but it showed that you can't do it alone.

Fast forward to now and we all feel(at least most of us) that we have a QB we can win with. But make no mistake about it, he can NOT win alone. I believe that having him has help us win more games than we probably should have with the lack of talent on the team.At this point we have 1 guy we can count on when it comes to the oline(Pouncy). We have a nice #2 WR and a nice #3 WR but the problem is they're playing 1 and 2. We still don't have a TE catching passes for us(partly cause Fasanon has to stay in and block since the oline can't do it)and our running game is not good right now. We have no pass rush and a bunch of back ups playing corner on the other side of Smith who's been up and down so far. We don't know if he's ever going to turn the corner(no pun intended) and we don't come up with any turnovers from our defence.

Am I down on the team? No. But I'm worry that at last we have a good QB again and just wonder if we're going to get him the weapons he needs to have a chance at winning. In the NFL you need a QB, WR's that can make plays,Pass rushers and corners that can cover. We have the QB and Wake and nothing else and yet there're people on here complaing about Tannehill. He can not do it alone. He needs help. I just hope that the FO will go after the players we need in the off season. We need to make the cap count and the picks count. In the last 5 years our FO hasn't done it.

Ozzy rules!!

We'll get the weapons in the draft I think. I don't know why ppl on this board think we'll have the money to go after Mike Wallace or Bowe or anybody. It's going to be a process, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the teams performance thus far. Like yourself, I do think Tannehill has the tools to win. I'm also hoping Lamar Miller develops into the talented back we see flashes of.

My god, I'm sick of all these posts painting Miami as Tannehill and a bunch of scrubs.

We finished the season pretty well last year if you remember, without him. Matt Moore came in the Jets game and we didn't lose a beat. I think a lot of you take for granted how truly strong we are on both lines of scrimmage. That's where it all begins.

He is definitely the answer, but one of the reasons he's progressing so well is because he's playing with a talented team with a great mix of veteran leadership and talented youth. We need 1 more receiver 1 more corner another pass rusher, and we're good. That's 3 positions out of 22, I'd say he has a pretty good start.

Really? So in your opinion our oline is set?....lol

Ozzy rules!!

With all due respect to Tannehill, he is no Marino. He has talent, but he is a different cat.
Marino had a fire and intensity to win. The competitive nature in Marino is not matched with Tannehill IMHO.
In the game with the Colts, I would say that Luck has some of that fire...that is probably what sets him apart from the other QB's in this class.
I am pleased with RT after the long string of mediocre QB's we have had in here. Matt Moore has played some good ball for us too.
The team will eventually surround RT with some play makers, and he has the talent to make full use of them.
We need play makers on offense and defense...and Ross needs to grease the referees in the off season.
Just my .02

My god, I'm sick of all these posts painting Miami as Tannehill and a bunch of scrubs.

We finished the season pretty well last year if you remember, without him. Matt Moore came in the Jets game and we didn't lose a beat. I think a lot of you take for granted how truly strong we are on both lines of scrimmage. That's where it all begins.

He is definitely the answer, but one of the reasons he's progressing so well is because he's playing with a talented team with a great mix of veteran leadership and talented youth. We need 1 more receiver 1 more corner another pass rusher, and we're good. That's 3 positions out of 22, I'd say he has a pretty good start.

We need better depth at OL, and better starters at DE, safety, WR, back up TE, and CB.
We are not close to the super bowl or dominating good teams with our talent. We can have a great game against doormats like the Jets, Raiders, and Bills...but really...is that any kind of measurement?
IMHO...and I have been watching the Fins and the NFL for a long time...we have Wildcard talent.
Sorry to burst your bubble.

Agreed 100% I don't understand the panick when the team loses a close game. This team has improved 2,000 % to what it has been the last 10 years. And we can see under Filbin & co we are only going to improve. Especially with 2 number 2, 3 & 5 draft picks.

Agreed 100% I don't understand the panick when the team loses a close game. This team has improved 2,000 % to what it has been the last 10 years. And we can see under Filbin & co we are only going to improve. Especially with 2 number 2, 3 & 5 draft picks.

I believe that we're going to get better if we turn all those pics into good players. What I'm saying is that Tannehill needs help cause he can't do it alone and right now he doesn't have much help. If he did, those close games we lost would not have been close to begin with.

Ozzy rules!!

I realize that this year is "on-the-job-training" for Tannehill, and he could use more help on offense. That said, I'm still waiting to see him come from behind and lead this team to a win late in the game. I don't want another game manager at QB, I want a playmaker!

Guys I have been saying this for a long time it is the coaching as much or more than the players. Why are guys like Mis and Jerry suddenly starters that were suppose to be wasted draft picks are suddenly starters. For the past 5 years our Oline was in disaray new players every year but the same ole coach. Philbin I really thought was a one year stopgap and suddenly we are close in every game except the first game. Soo Ireland picks suddenly look much better than in years past and whats changed the coach. Shula could beat you with his players and with your players. Thats why we have lived in gthe past as one of the best NFL teams because we had the right guy at the helm regrardless of the drafts and the rest of the NFL.

As long as Ireland is here... probably.

People are crazy with all this Tanne stuff. All I hear is that he is the future Marino or he is not very good and not the future......In actuality it is way to early to say either way. He has shown some positive signs and has def looked good at times. He has also put up very few TD's and not been very clutch in the 4th. My point is that everyone needs to stop jumping to conclusions. He could be a stud or a bust at this point. Give the guy some time before we crown him a savior or a scrub. All these rookie QB's are ROOKIES!!!! For all we know Wilson might be the only pro bowler out of the entire group. Who knows. Why does everyone feel like they need to pick a side? Sometimes neutral is the way to go....sheesh......btw this was not aimed at the OP

Marino did not have much weapons as say Tannehill has with Bush. And Tannehill may not have to worry about having to do things like Marino did back in his days. Marino was like a one man show. While Tannehill does have the weapons he has.

Back
Top Bottom