Are we overestimating our O-line? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are we overestimating our O-line?

taylorj99

Starter
Reaction score
The general consensus here is that our O-line is slightly better than last years line. However, everywhere else I read, no one expects us to do crap with our "completely revamped" offensive line and questionable QB. What do you think? Are we giving them too much credit?

we are giving our last years line a whole lot of credit for SUCKING

no one really knows one way or the other. i have faith that they will be improved but its a tough call their are good arguments for both sides.

What the concern is, and I do have the same concern, this line not one of these guys have played together. Timing and knowing what the guy next to you will do is very important in the NFL. Will this years line "SO" much better than last years? NO! However, it is a improvement. That is why I have been preaching in my previous post that our D is so much important this year and we need O-GUN. The more touches our O gets will just help it get better quicker.
The O-Line needs real playing time and a lot of it.

I don't think we are overestimating at all. With the line we had last year anything would be better. I believe just the age of the line is a big difference. If these guys gel like a think they will we could have a solid line for years to come.

Last seasons Offensive line was so bad, that we can only get better. And even if the worst case scenario was that the talent was the same, at least with the youth infusion, they should all be somewhat healthier throughout the season, which helps tremendously with playing as a team. Last few years, there were so many injuries, that no cohesion could ever be formed.

I think Jeno James is a huge upgrade. Wade Smith should be a little better. McKinney vs old/hurt Ruddy, I'll take McKinney. Todd Perry was a huge waste of money (thanks DW), so anyone should be same/better. Carey should be as good as Todd Wade his rookie season, and that year we had a really good O-line.

We definately improved our oline. It's ridiculous to think we didn't. I can see people thinking we haven't improved that much from last years level of play to what we will get from our oline this year. But in the near future we could possibly have one of the better Olines in the league IMO. Smith-James-McKinney-McIntosh/Carey (however they end up playing better). Very young talented group.

the best thing about our o-line this year is youth and hunger and that is what the line lacked last year, except for wade smith. last years line was beat up and old and todd wade wanted cash all year. this year, we have a new your lg, center, undrafted rg, who will need to play harder to prove himself and a rookie rt, that will also need to play lights out to prove himself. i love it!

What I don't understand is everyone's assumption that Wade Smith will be so much better. Has everyone forgotten the horrendous performance last year. What's to say he won't suck this year too. So lets see...

We hope that with one year's experience, Wade Smith won't still suck. We hope that Carey will be able to perform well as a rookie (hard to believe he will be "good"), and we hope that McKinney and Jerman, who have played a combined total of about 3 games will be satisfactory. So here's what our line looks like...

Sucked last year // Good on another team // unproven // unproven // good in college

But I guess that's better than last year's...

Rookie // Sucks // Too old // Sucks // Satisfactory

We will find out rather quickly in August.
We will sink or swim based on their performance.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
most people do not think that Wade Smith sucked last year.
Who cares what people think! He didn't suck last year he was asked to start as a rookie, a 3rd rounder on top of that, and he did an admirable job.

BTW BrownLamp how often do you see any linemen drafted after this first round become starters on an Oline? The general thought on lineman is that they take a few years to develop kinda like QBs. I guess it's easier to overlook what the kid did and just rip him cause all you remeber is a bad game against Indy.

DoLpHiNz34 said:
Who cares what people think! He didn't suck last year he was asked to start as a rookie, a 3rd rounder on top of that, and he did an admirable job.

BTW BrownLamp how often do you see any linemen drafted after this first round become starters on an Oline? The general thought on lineman is that they take a few years to develop kinda like QBs. I guess it's easier to overlook what the kid did and just rip him cause all you remeber is a bad game against Indy.

Ok, maybe he didn't suck. But dude, he wasn't good. All I'm saying is that is that there is only one spot on the line that has proven himself in the league. Oh, and actually, lineman who are drafted in the first round almost always start the same year. Gallery, Carey, Andrews will all start. Just as Jordan Gross did last year. And like EVERY position in the NFL, they take a few years to develop. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they will blossom, which is what my point about Wade Smith is.

I think after last year's O-line there's a good chance that we are giving this year's O-line more credit right away...then again last year's O-line was pretty bad...

ABrownLamp said:
Ok, maybe he didn't suck. But dude, he wasn't good. All I'm saying is that is that there is only one spot on the line that has proven himself in the league. Oh, and actually, lineman who are drafted in the first round almost always start the same year. Gallery, Carey, Andrews will all start. Just as Jordan Gross did last year. And like EVERY position in the NFL, they take a few years to develop. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they will blossom, which is what my point about Wade Smith is.

These are all good points and more realistic than most posts about our OLine. Lets face facts, there was a reason Woody and tait was our first choice. At RT we sign our 2nd choice, McIntosh, only to end up starting a 3rd and less desirable choice St. Clair, we draft a 1st round Rookie, I emphasis Rookie to complete with him until McIntosh is ready. We never go back and address the RG spot from a free agency situation and we put German there and let him complete against what I consider a burst thus far, Whitley, I prefer Yates. So now we have a 2nd year LT, who as ABL pointed out, was not that good last year, despite all the "he did good for a 3rd round rookie" hype on this board. Jeno James, who seems the most polished of this line, but was not heralded as a free Agent, read into this, we did not offer him the money we were offering Woody or Tait. Carolina let him go, when they could have had him at the price we paid. S. McKinney, who couldn't unseat Ruddy with all the chances the team gave him last year. They were begging for him to take over and he couldn't, but he got some experience and that's important, but he hasn't had to prepare to play a whole year starting. I've already addresed the right side of the liine. So where does that really leave us. In my opinion slightly less better off than we were at this time last year. NOW, can this change, only time and practice will tell. But right now, we're no better than we were last year and actually could be a little worst off RIGHT NOW. I, like everyone on this board, hopes these guys gel and find the techniques that will make up for the lack of Talent some have. This should be the most closely watched part of our team this TC, then the D, to see if they've improved enough to carry this team, they haven't been able to do it in the past very well or for long, then the QB to see if we get improve play from that position, which would help the D a lot. Finally our WR's should be next, they need to get open, CATCH the ball when given a chance and make YAC...keep the chains moving.

Back
Top Bottom