Are we snakebitten or jinxed?? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are we snakebitten or jinxed??

Also, one point no one seems to bring up is this: Much of our issues have more to do with the salary caps and today's salaries than anything else.

"What am I talking about?" you ask. Well this. During the days of Don Shula, when he made a mistake...we weren't screwed for money and cap space. These days, if you mess up...you're stuck for a long time. It really hurts to blow it these days.

the more ya'll talk about it the more negative energy you will create the nore your team will start to feel it and the worse they will play

Uh....no he wasn't...

Stanley Pritchett was better than Rob Konrad...

I'll take Konrad over any fullback on the roster right now. He was a decent blocker and had good hands. Also, the OP didn't lump Stanley Pritchett in with those other busts. If he had, I would have pulled him out of there as well because he was a good player. I'd take him over any fullback on the roster right now as well.

neither, we are just paying for about a decade of poor decisions.

Jimmy Johnson had his faults in the draft and FA, but he brought the team Sam Madison, Jason Taylor, Patrick Surtain, Kenny Mixon, Lorenzo Bromell, Derrick Rodgers, Rob Konrad (those 4 being solid players for us but unspectacular), Oronde Gadson, and Brock Marion. Problem was Jimmy was fond of trading back in the draft for more players, and while we found a lot of good defensive help, we never found offensive help.

The Dave Wannstedt/Rick Spielman years killed us as they continuously traded picks for aging vets, and they rarely hit on any draft picks. FACT, we have 2 players remaining on our team from their era; Vernon Carey and Yeremiah Bell. Guys drafted by Wanny/Spielman should the core of our team and still in the prime of their career (in their mid 20's to early 30's). While Chris Chambers and Randy McMichael gave us a couple good years, they never developed like we hoped/needed. PLus, Wanny was far too loyal to the vets on the team and it jaded him on what guys to draft. (I'm looking at you Jay Fiedler,James McKnight, and any O-Lineman from that time not named Mark Dixon)

I think Saban had the right idea when he came to Miami as everything was looking bright, but I think the strong finish made him lose site of the big picture and gamble going for Daunte and LJ Shelton. Plus, he found out quickly that NFL fanbases/media don't treat you like a god unless you actually win the Super Bowl.

Cam and Mueller were just idiots.

I know people are frustrated with how the season has began, but you have to be patient. And here's why...

1) Ted Ginn Jr, our supposed go-to WR, started playing WR as a freshmen at OSU; 4 years ago and even then he only ran bubble routes and return kicks. He didn't start running more complex routes until his junior year; 2 years ago. The rest of our guys would probably be ST gunners for any other team in the league (and I like Bess and Hagan).

2)Once again, we have basically 4 new starters on the OL. Jake Long,Justin Smiley, and the RG position are all new players to the team. And while Vernon has started for awhile, he was a LT last year and now moved back to RT. The only player playing in his regular spot is Samson Satale. Even with TC, and preseason, that will take time.

3)We're making switch to the 3-4 without having the players to run the 3-4. The front 7 has been solid yet unspectacular in the 2 games we've played, but we do not have the pass rush for the defense. Honestly, the best players for our D have been Langford,Merling,and Starks IMO. (2 rookies, and a guy most see as an underachiever in Tennessee)

You all can hate on Andre Goodman and Chris Crocker though as Goodman has been torched and when he hasn't been torched he gets flagged, and Crocker has been out of position every game. You can also be frustrated that our D cannot force a TO to save their life, but remember: this franchise was pretty much burning to the ground for nearly a decade now. Rome was not built in a day and neither will the Miami Dolphins

Negative Energy?

the more ya'll talk about it the more negative energy you will create the nore your team will start to feel it and the worse they will play

there has been negative energy since coach mustache

Neither in my opinion. Sometimes you have to get lucky. And I mean lucky in the draft, free agency and on the field. But luck only takes you so far...you also need solid management and good coaching all over the place. If those things are in place, it often leads to wins which leads to bringing in better talent (via free agency and the draft).

Once you have the skill players on the field, you win more and it snowballs from there. I know its alot more complicated than I make it seem...but thats how it happens.

Don McNeal has no business on a list like that. He was one of the best young CBs in the league until he broke his arm.

I'm continually amazed our stadium never receives the scrutiny it deserves. There's a long post now stickied here on the plight of the franchise, with zero mention of Dolphin Stadium. Same thing months ago when Boomer posted a long thread on the Dolphin "malaise," again with no mention of our pathetic home.

You guys must not have attended games in many stadiums. That's my only conclusion. It's a bland venue in an irrelevant location. The margins in this league are so slight you can't afford to forfeit a point or two every home game, on average, simply via the inferiority of your home turf.

If there's no denying that some home fields have more impact than the norm, then how can it be denied the opposite is true?

The Orange Bowl may be gone but it will grow in respect and legend as the home town teams continue to flounder in Dolphin Stadium, Joe Robbie's cement mistake.

Back
Top Bottom