Arm Strength | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Arm Strength

FuR_DoGG

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I, unfortunately, don't have a dish, so I can only watch the Dolphins game... this isn't normally a problem, but it tends to get me out of touch with the rest of the tallent in the NFL. So after only watching Jay Fiedler for the past 4 years and his lame duck throws and deep tosses that float like an infield fly-ball, I have developed a desire to see us get a QB with a real cannon. But after some thought, I realize that I don't know how important arm strength REALLY is... do you need a rocket launcher to be a succesfull QB? If not, who are some Quarterbacks who have found success without one? I am especially concerned about this now that Feeley is on our roster, who, by all reports, is seriously lacking in this department.

Feely has good arm strength, but not great. All of these reports that people keep showing were from hi draft year when he had elbow surgery and most of them say this is why. He has gained his arm strenght back. As far as physical talent Feely and Rivers are about the same, both have good not great arms, about the same size and speed can aviod the rush but not big runners. The main difference between them is that Feely never had a chance in college because of injury and then Harrington. But the bottom line is this both could be great or both could suck you never know.

Originally posted by SkapePhin
TOM BRADY

So what happened on that 82-yard touchdown pass that won the game in October? Or on the 65-yard touchdown pass at Denver?

Joe Montana was a pretty good qb , and he certainly didn't have a rocket launcher.

Last edited by a moderator:
arm strength is not really the issue. the issue is getting the ball
there. If you overthrow, does that mean you have arm strength? cus fiedler overthrew all the time. its timeing and being on the same page with your recivers more than anything.

But the other thing here is that we obviously are changing our offensive ways to a WCO style that Feeley runs. that means alot of short stuff, midrange stuff.

Manages the game well.

tom brady did not throw the ball 82 yards... he's not known for his arm strength. I cant stand when people come on and act like a QB completed an 80 yard pass when the majority of it was YAC. Thats like saying the 10 yard slant patterns to steve smith that he breaks for TDs shows that delhomme throws a great long ball

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
tom brady did not throw the ball 82 yards... he's not known for his arm strength. I cant stand when people come on and act like a QB completed an 80 yard pass when the majority of it was YAC. Thats like saying the 10 yard slant patterns to steve smith that he breaks for TDs shows that delhomme throws a great long ball

You're right, it wasn't 82 yards, but it still traveled almost 60 yards in the air. It was no "10-yard slant." I would consider that to be a deep ball. If you don't believe me, go back and check the tape in the Fins Theater at www.miamidolphins.com. And by the way, Delhomme doesn't exactly have a bad deep ball himself, he made some nice tosses in the Super Bowl.

Originally posted by DolphinzD

You're right, it wasn't 82 yards, but it still traveled almost 60 yards in the air. It was no "10-yard slant." I would consider that to be a deep ball. If you don't believe me, go back and check the tape in the Fins Theater at www.miamidolphins.com. And by the way, Delhomme doesn't exactly have a bad deep ball himself, he made some nice tosses in the Super Bowl.

I have seen Fiedler throw the ball 50 yards on a line...doesn't mean he has a good arm.

I would say Feeley has enough arm, and like others have said, it's getting the ball there, not just how far he can throw it.

Originally posted by dolfan87

I have seen Fiedler throw the ball 50 yards on a line...doesn't mean he has a good arm.

I would say Feeley has enough arm, and like others have said, it's getting the ball there, not just how far he can throw it.

I should have clarified. The difference between Brady and Fiedler is that Brady COMPLETES passes when he throws them that distance. My mistake.

Decision making and accuracy is what matters. Arm strength and running ability are nice extras, but not required.

I heard a great quote once I think it was Gil Brandt "there are plenty of guys out there who can make all the throws that are tending bar."

That's why everytime I hear someone claim that some QB is great b/c he can make all the throws, I lose respect for that person's ability to analyse a QB. It's like saying a car is great b/c it has a great paint job. It's nice to have, but if you want the car to get you from point A to point B, then it's shows you have a lack of understanding as to what is neccessary to get you there.

Originally posted by finfan54
arm strength is not really the issue. the issue is getting the ball
there. If you overthrow, does that mean you have arm strength? cus fiedler overthrew all the time. its timeing and being on the same page with your recivers more than anything.

But the other thing here is that we obviously are changing our offensive ways to a WCO style that Feeley runs. that means alot of short stuff, midrange stuff.

Manages the game well.

I think the right term for this is ACCURACY. A cannon or moderate arm strenght without accuracy leads to the same conclusion..non completed passes, which = drives stopped prematurely and possible loss of games.

I know, i agree with your assessment of brady that he is capable of throwing the deep ball. im just saying it's not something hes known for and his success hasnt come on the strength of his arm, which is what the thread was about. I believe most nfl qbs can throw the ball deep ENOUGH to be successful if given enough time. Montana could hit the deep ball too, but he didnt have the strongest of arms either.

I really can't understand why people say "good not great" because good lends me to believe it's above average.

Average is about 16th in the league. If you think Feeley has a better arm than 16 other starting QB's you're crazy. Truly he has a below average arm, but like it's been pointed out he doesn't need a cannon.

Also, people that watch a professional QB in person will always say he has a good arm, of course compared to what you've ever seen by your buddies he has a good arm. That doesn't mean they have a good arm in a professsional sense.

Feeley does not have a "good" arm which would put him in the ten range of starters. Maybe he has a "good" arm for third stringers around the league.

I am not conviced that a canon arm is required, but strong arm is required. I think any QB who can consistently throw10-30 yard passes extremely accurate with some zip can be successful. I think they have to be able to make the 50+ yard throw when it is there.

But many rocket arms don't find success. I think there are some real important things like smarts, mobility, release, etc. that go into it.

Sometimes I jus think some guys have "it" and some don't. I am not sure you can always measure "it" with a tape measure or a stop watch.

Back
Top Bottom