Arm Strength | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Arm Strength

Yeah, a 50 yard arm is a must. However, I can throw a ball 40 yards in the air and I don't have a good arm strength for a QB.

They have to be able to throw it 10-30 yards on a rope and 50 yards in the air w/o flutter allowing the CB to catch up and tip it away or pick it.

how many 50 yard pass attempts do most teams attempt in a year? excluding the hail marys of course.

Yeah, a 50 yard arm is a must. However, I can throw a ball 40 yards in the air and I don't have a good arm strength for a QB.

They have to be able to throw it 10-30 yards on a rope and 50 yards in the air w/o flutter allowing the CB to catch up and tip it away or pick it.

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
how many 50 yard pass attempts do most teams attempt in a year? excluding the hail marys of course.

it's the threat that really matters IMO, it keeps them honest.

I think rivers will be successful. look at payton...now, he has a better arm, but that's not why he's successful. He's successful because he makes GREAT decisions, and takes what he is given. He completes little dink and dunk passes 5-12 yards for quite awhile. Just picks the defense apart. THEN once they start cheating up, he'll hit harrison deep.

It's more about good decisions than anything..well, and being accurate. Nail those 10-15 yard passes consistently to the open man, and Chambers will be wide. You won't need a 60 yard pass to hit that deep ball either. A QB can survive on a 40 yard arm as long as he's accurate and hits the receiver IN STRIDE. that was jays problem. You could camp under those balls giving Chambers no time to gain YAC. I'd take a 40 yard pass hitting him in stride ANY day over a 50-60 yard pass that he has to wait for.

That said, there's nothing wrong with having a QB with a cannon ;) Just as long as he makes the good decisions short, and is accurate.

It's about "zip". Fiedlers throws took so much time to go downfield that it was even money at best whether the Offensive or Defensive player would make the play on the ball. And Jays stats of receptions/Interceptions bears that staement out. But that ball speed also translates to getting the ball out quick on the short/intermediate routes. If Feeley has enough zip to get the ball out quick I'll be happy. Especially since without major O-line help he'll never have time to go deep anyway.

Back
Top Bottom