Armando Salguero Article on Jarvis Landry | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando Salguero Article on Jarvis Landry

J. David Wannyheimer

Writing in pencil on laminated cards since 2011
Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article194920564.html

My guess is the Dolphins would be more comfortable with Jarvis Landry playing for $10-$11 million per year. My guess is the gap between the sides isn’t likely to close unless someone caves because both sides have plausible reasons for being where they’re at.

Emphasis in the above quote is mine.

Considering that Armando Salguero has, in many ways, been acting as a mouthpiece for the team since Joe Philbin was fired, I believe we can read a little bit into what has been written here. And what has been written here is the opinion that Jarvis Landry is unlikely to remain a Miami Dolphin.

My own thoughts after reading this article? HE GONE. I think the Dolphins have already made the decision to move on from Landry -- which would make sense given the previous trade rumors -- and now the front office is running a PR blitz to soften the blow with the fans.

Well, if his asking price is north of $11-12 million, then I agree with the team letting him go. The question is, will he have over-estimated his value? It will take a team with a ton of cap money to want to pay a slot receiver that kind of dough. Sometimes you just have to draw the line.

Two months to figure it out.....

Free Agency

• CFL Try-out and negotiation deadline: January 31
  • Franchise/Transition tag period opens: February 20
  • Franchise/Transition tag period ends: March 6
  • Legal Tampering period: March 12-14

• Free agency and trading begins: March 14, 4pm ET

• Deadline for RFAs to sign offer sheets: April 20
  • Deadline for club to withdraw RFA offer and replace with June 15 Tender (1 year, 110% of previous salary): June 15
  • Deadline to re-sign franchise player: July 16
  • Deadline for new team to sign transition player: July 23

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article194920564.html

Considering that Armando Salguero has, in many ways, been acting as a mouthpiece for the team since Joe Philbin was fired, I believe we can read a little bit into what has been written here. And what has been written here is the opinion that Jarvis Landry is unlikely to remain a Miami Dolphin.

My own thoughts after reading this article? HE GONE. I think the Dolphins have already made the decision to move on from Landry -- which would make sense given the previous trade rumors -- and now the front office is running a PR blitz to soften the blow with the fans.

I remain inclined Landry will be gone. IF he returns, it will be because NO team wants to pay him $14-15mm. For now, I see few teams needing a slot so bad they'll pay that amount, but the NFL is full of surprises.

If we let him go.....and he DOES get $13-15 million per year....there really shouldn't be any bitching here from people about not resigning him (a la the Lamar Miller and Olivier Vernon scenarios). Landry is a great player, but if you compare his productive output (i.e. his stats that directly win us games) and quality of leadership (being fiery & loud does not autmaticall make you a leader), he is not a player deserving of that size a cap hit or salary. We have too many other needs.

Also, if he leaves, everyone better be ready for the possibility that he joins the Patriots.

Not gonna pretend to know what Miami's thought process is here with Landry. My gut tells me they want him back, even if it means using the tag . . . But this is the same group that saw Dallas Thomas and Billy Turner lineup in late August and said "well that looks fine" and allowed it to go into the regular season for 5 weeks. Wouldn't shock me to see them use that approach at receiver.

Armando has got sources, he also flings a lot of **** at the wall hoping it sticks so he can rub it in your face later and he gets real pissy when he is upstaged on something.

Like Eesti said above . . . Under two months to figure this out. Actually March 6th is the day . . . .if he ain't franchise tagged by then or signed a new deal you may as well kiss him goodbye.

They see a player who doesn’t pay attention to details. They see a player who sometimes runs the right routes and sometimes doesn’t. They see a player who sometimes inspires with his emotions, but sometimes loses control and hurts his team. They see a player who doesn’t lead in the locker room although he’s in a great position to do so.

They see a player who doesn’t seem to respect his coaches because he often ignores what they ask. They see a player who has been, in the words of multiple sources, “a pain” to deal with and “hard to reach.”

Directly from Armando's source for sure to get the word out for the reasons they let would let him walk- I guess each person can decide for themselves hoe they feel about this- that last game was a really bad look especially after you know darn well they had spoken to Landry about this stuff before- you could even see the difference for a little while.. that's where I weigh in on it...

If they don't re-sign Landry then they definitely need to draft a seam threat TE. Maybe sign a 2nd tier FA TE as well. Hope they don't throw part of the money they would have paid Landry at Jimmy Graham. He had a great year in Seattle but he is 31, has durability concerns and will still command a fairly large contract.

So to replace Landry you upgrade your TE, give Carroo a shot and give Grant more looks?

As if there was any doubt before, Davante Adams signing that extension guaranteed his departure. There is no way that Landry settles for less than the 14 million annual that Adams got. I'm happy to keep that cap space to fill other needs, and to take the 3rd round compensatory pick we will get.

As if there was any doubt before, Davante Adams signing that extension guaranteed his departure. There is no way that Landry settles for less than the 14 million annual that Adams got. I'm happy to keep that cap space to fill other needs, and to take the 3rd round compensatory pick we will get.

Honestly if we had Parker step it up (like was expected before the QB injury) combined with the glimpse of hope we got from Grant, it would be much more palatable.

I think that's also why we have 9 or so contracts expiring.

That's why Hayes got a year cut from his contract.

That's why Allen got a 1 year contract.

To guarantee compensation for losing Landry.

Which teams would spend $14M a year on Landry? Seems a bit rich for his role and production.

Here is the list of WRs making 14+:
https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

Player Team Total
Value
Avg./Year Total
Guaranteed
Avg.
Guar./Year
% Guar. Free
Agency

Antonio Brown Steelers $68,000,000 $17,000,000 $19,000,000 $4,750,000 27.9% 2022 UFA
DeAndre Hopkins Texans $81,000,000 $16,200,000 $36,500,000 $7,300,000 45.1% 2023 UFA
A.J. Green Bengals $60,000,000 $15,000,000 $26,750,000 $6,687,500 44.6% 2020 UFA
Davante Adams Packers $58,000,000 $14,500,000 $18,000,000 $4,500,000 31.0% 2022 UFA
Julio Jones Falcons $71,250,000 $14,250,000 $35,500,000 $7,100,000 49.8% 2021 UFA
Demaryius Thomas Broncos $70,000,000 $14,000,000 $35,000,000 $7,000,000 50.0% 2020 UFA
Dez Bryant Cowboys $70,000,000 $14,000,000 $32,000,000 $6,400,000 45.7% 2020 UFA

Does Landry fit in that group? If the only team offering him that kind of contract was Cleveland, would he take it over a lesser contract from Miami?

Again.... this is really looking like a an off season where we let Landry and Hayes walk and take the comp picks in 19. Look for the Dolphins to sign only bottom tier free agents and players who have been cut and do not figure into the the comp pick formula.

Also look for trades. If Landry walks, they are going to want that 3rd round comp, and Hayes had a really good season last year until he was injured. Hayes himself could possibly generate as high as a 4th round comp.

Good point here by Mando:

"Or do the Dolphins take that $11-$14 million per year and go shopping for an offensive lineman or two, or perhaps a lineman and a tight end, or a lineman and a running back like Dion Lewis?"

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...-salguero/article194920564.html#storylink=cpy

Last time we were losing free agents we went shopping in the clearance department to ensure we got guys that didn't work against the compensatory formula. Expect something similar. Armando makes it sound like prime rib will be on sale for us.

Seriously, FA shopping is no longer trendy tho.

Any good recent free agents on it, outside of Suh which required the black card, that give you confidence?

Brent Grimes was a good one, but we gambled on him bouncing back from a major knee injury and ended up paying him well after 1 season.

Matt Moore has been value as a backup QB but probably has prevented us from developing a QB.

Cam Wake was out the CFL so I guess he counts

We did well with Dansby until we discarded him for trash.

I am struggling for examples so unlike Armando while the thought process of shopping with extra cap seems enticing, giving up the most productive draft pick we have had in more than 15 years just doesn't excite me for the potential promise of whiffing on more mid to sub mid free agents.

Sign him, don't sign him . . . But goodness they better draft well in either scenario.

Back
Top Bottom