Armando Salguero Article on Jarvis Landry | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando Salguero Article on Jarvis Landry

Smear from the FO or not, theres not a lot in that article I disagree ago with. Landry is damn good, a great slot WR but he isnt elite. But wants to be paid like an Elite WR, I am no fan of this FO but I can certainly see why they are is balking at this.

Sure, it would make a lot more sense to overpay Landry than to hand Cutler 10m, or overpay Branch and Kiko (especially when he could have played last year on a low tender contract!), or to extend a second SS we don't need - but those mistakes are already on the cap and you can't overpay everyone. Sadly we have probably already filled our quota of overpriced contract. Who needs Landry when you have Branch and Cutler?

Oh and that second Suh restructure they are planning is going to hurt like hell one of these days aswell

Miami desperately needs to get rid of Tannenbaum and get a football leaders who has a command on how to build a franchise. The personnel mistakes are adding up almost daily.

Is that 2nd round offer from Chicago verified? The best offer I have read is a 3rd but haven't seen which team that was from. If it's true Miami was offered Chicago's 2nd and didn't take it then heads should roll especially since Landry probably is going to leave for maybe at best a 3rd comp in 2019. If that offer is true it also would add to the long list of blunders on the personnel side Miami has made since Tannenbaum arrived.

Even a 3rd they should of done it. Unless they are rescinding James to become a FA as well . . . the only way they get a 3rd for Landry is another year of wading through the cut wire looking for a guy /guys that don't affect the compensatory formula. And that would be a 2019 pick around the 100 slot.

1/2 a year left on a rookie deal and the Bears pick would of been top 70 in 2018 . . . essentially you recouped your investment on the original pick which isn't an easy thing to do

But the fact that they didn't and reports out there even suggesting he was not available . . . . should prove as more validation that they want to keep him . . . over a smear campaign from Armando suggesting otherwise.

OK, but my question still stands... Which teams will be interested in him at that price?

Pretty much every one of the teams leading in the cap space category are WR needy. Browns,49ers,Colts,etc. Especially the Colts. McDaniels would love to get his hands on Landry for Luck.

Pretty much every one of the teams leading in the cap space category are WR needy. Browns,49ers,Colts,etc. Especially the Colts. McDaniels would love to get his hands on Landry for Luck.

Hmmm... Damn, he might go then... 49ers and Colts would be a good fit for him...

Right...so the Colts would have two receivers then making more than $13 million...not going to happen. They're not going to pay a slot guy that kind of money when TY Hilton averages about double the yardage per catch as Juice.

If we let him go.....and he DOES get $13-15 million per year....there really shouldn't be any bitching here from people about not resigning him (a la the Lamar Miller and Olivier Vernon scenarios). Landry is a great player, but if you compare his productive output (i.e. his stats that directly win us games) and quality of leadership (being fiery & loud does not autmaticall make you a leader), he is not a player deserving of that size a cap hit or salary. We have too many other needs.

Also, if he leaves, everyone better be ready for the possibility that he joins the Patriots.

The Patriots didn't pay Wes Welker, Amendola or Edelman anywhere near that type of salary. Please help me understand why in the world would they break the bank for Landry? Especially when he brings what they already have in Edelman and to a smaller degree Amendola?

The Patriots didn't pay Wes Welker, Amendola or Edelman anywhere near that type of salary. Please help me understand why in the world would they break the bank for Landry? Especially when he brings what they already have in Edelman and to a smaller degree Amendola?
For the same reason they decided to pay Stephon Gilmore and D'Onte Hightower. Belichick wanted them and they finally decided to use the cash they have. Gilmore's compensation sure as hell doesn't match his league skill ranking at his position.

If we want to keep him, he can't hit free agency. If I am the browns, I front load a deal so bad no team could ever think about matching. A trio of Landry, Josh Gordan, and Corey Coleman has the potential to be elite, combined with David Njoku at TE. They take Josh Rosen at 1 and Saquon Barkely at 4, you have the makings of one of the best young offenses in the league. Wow, I just got way off track... Point being, we're never going to be able match another team's offer even if he does give us the chance. Teams have ridiculous cash to spend.
Which in 3-4 years you can no longer afford because of the huge Landry deal, and then the option years of the 3 1st rounders and a new contract for a highly sought after TE (if he becomes a trusted perform like you suggest). Over 1/3 of your cap would be on 5-6 players.

Pat Kerwin spoke about Cleveland's position a few months ago and I found it very interesting. All these picks they have (including the guys chosen this past year) sound great, but the reality is, if you hit on the top 1st-3rd round guys (which you are hoping to), there is no way you can afford them in 3-4 years when the RFA, option years come do and you'll only be able to keep 3, maybe 4 if your lucky. If one is a QB it could be only 2.

For the same reason they decided to pay Stephon Gilmore and D'Onte Hightower. Belichick wanted them and they finally decided to use the cash they have. Gilmore's compensation sure as hell doesn't match his league skill ranking at his position.

Interesting use defensive players to make an offensive point. When, in fact all the evidence to dates suggest that as long as the offensive player isn't named Brady then the Pats ain't spending the money.

Surree Schleprock. The Pats are going to break the bank for Jarvis Landry by making him the 2 or 3 highest paid player on the team behind Brady.

You never know if the accusations in the article are correct but IF they are and are coming from management, it's stupid. All along preaching to "keep your own" while overpaying for underwhelming players like Kiko and Branch.

IF it's true, this is the Jeff Ireland school of management. We all know how that turned out.

Landry's agent spoke out today and addressed the issues and Jarvis responded as well. It does not sound good.

Anyone can look great when things are going well. It's how you respond when things are going bad that shows true character or intention. Gase was a hero last year when we made the playoffs. When things went bad this year he threw everybody under the bus. He did not do that in 2016 when things were not looking good.

I hope this is all BS and Gase gets a handle on this ASAP but the silence is deafening. Landry's camp sent their offer to management a month ago and they have not even responded. At all.

Do they want a team full of "YES" men, robots who lack talent or do they want football players. Suh has been the ultimate pro since he got here but he was also 28 years old and had some hard lessons to learn from (fines, suspensions, etc). No reason Jarvis cannot do the same if the given the chance. He is 25 years old.

Andre Branch: 10M
Kiko Alonso: 9.6M
Kenny Stills: 9.75M
Mike Pouncey: 9M
Timmons: 8.2M
Julius Thomas: 6.2M

Stills is the only one capable of living up to his deal.

You never know if the accusations in the article are correct but IF they are and are coming from management, it's stupid. All along preaching to "keep your own" while overpaying for underwhelming players like Kiko and Branch.
LOL, I don't think this team considers our own their own. Maybe when their drafts hit that 4 years they may start keeping their own but they may be out of office by then.

Ultimately what it comes down to is whether or not the Dolphins top brass want to win a superbowl or simply to fill seats and make money during the regular season.

The team is not close to winning a superbowl right now.

Gase is a young coach, he is good with young players.

The Dolphins are NOT winning the super bowl next year.

DRAFT players and allow Gase to mold the team.

OR...

keep signing players to 2nd, 3rd and 4th contracts to sell stadium tickets.

LOL, I don't think this team considers our own their own. Maybe when their drafts hit that 4 years they may start keeping their own but they may be out of office by then.

Accurate lol

Our drafts have been so bad over the years that very few guys make it to FA status. Peeking at the guys who have and that were eligible to be resigned in the Gase era:

Mike Pouncey - extended in 2015 (pre Gase)
Ryan Tannehill - extended in 2015 (pre Gase)
Olivier Vernon - not resigned
Lamar Miller - not resigned
Rishard Matthews - not resigned
Jelani Jenkins - not resigned
Dion Sims - not resigned
Juwan James - 5th year option (pending)
Jarvis Landry - pending
Walt Aikens - pending
Terrence Fede - pending

Every other pick was cut or traded away prior to their deal expiring.

So since Adam Gase has arrived the Miami Dolphins have kept ZERO of their guys who they drafted and developed through the life of their rookie deals.

From the 2011 to 2014 drafts . . . . the only players that are still technically on the team are Ryan Tannehill and Mike Pouncey.

4 drafts and from those 4 drafts, two guys remain . . . one guy missed all of the 2017 season and the other has been chronically injured over the years.

And people want to know why this team is not a good one.

Gase is a young coach, he is good with young players.

I thought so too but I am beginning to wonder. First Ajayi and now Landry. Remember when everyone complained about Philbin for not being able to deal with personalities? Hard to say at this point but we will see.

Back
Top Bottom